Big problem with Type 2 charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scally

Hi, I'm from Scotland and I've been running my Leaf for over two years, with 20k on the clock and only one real problem.
Type 2 chargers!
My success rate with these is about 33% so far, despite turning off the charging timer, many of these points are failing to work for me. I never have problems with rapids, or charging at home, just with Type 2's. Almost all kinds of type 2's , and there are many.
Is it me, my car, or the chargers that are at fault?

What year is your car?

Does it have the 6.0kw charger?

While we have never had any issues with chargers on the '12, the '13 with the 6.0kw charger seems to have an issue communicating with certain chargers and just faulting it out.

This questions sounds like it would require in person evaluation... "Type 2 chargers" is a very general term. where? What brand?, private? public? 3.3 or 6.6 car charger?

All kinds of Type 2 chargers - makes no difference. The indicator just reads : "Starting" and nothing happens. I dont honestly know what onboard charger I have, I'm not very technical.

Please advise what lights on the dash are blinking/steady while charging (if any). Does this happen with a particular company's chargers? We need to find the pattern here, other than just "L2" chargers".

Sounds like a power line issue to me and since I assume your regular power is already 220v(on a single wire like Europe is) what makes a L2 in your country, is it just more amps at 220v? I can't believe it would be 440v using 2 hot 220v leads out of phase like we do in N. America to get 240v out of 2 120v wires.
I agree, we need to know more, such as EVSE(charger) brand and what the lights are doing.

Have your charge delay timers been activated in the past? The delay timers work for L1 and L2, but don't affect L3.

If when you plug in you don't get one light blinking (the same light), but all three lights blinking one after the other, that tells you that the EVSE is properly plugged in and waiting for the timer to tell it to start.

What is the light/blinking pattern when you plug in?

Working with some charging stations and not others could be indicative of a failed diode in your car's on-board charger. Some charging stations perform a diode check, others don't. It could be that your home charging station doesn't but most public stations do.

Long story short, take it in to a dealer. If the charger's the problem and it's under warranty, you should get a new one. If it's not under warranty, the cost is probably prohibitively expensive, so you can either just live with it, or I believe there's a cheap workaround you can try.

Here's a thread on the diode issue (there are a few others if you poke around): http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=159951

By the way, I've never heard the term "Type 2" before, but I assume you're referring to a 200-240V public charging station (here in the states we usually say "Level 2" or L2).

My rapid charging mode has failed completely. It won't work at any fast charger point. No lights on on the dash so I don't know what the reader could find. The problem occurred when I was using a fast charger with a slightly dodgy connector with a bad latch which may have fallen out after charging had started but before the electro mechanical latch in the connector had engaged. So I wondered if a fuse might be blown but I don't think it'd be a fuse in one of the regular fuse boxes. Any ideas? The display in the charger just says error - no error code or number. Thanks.

I know it's a year ago now, but I hate leaving stuff hanging which I do regularly but just to let you know how my problem was resolved. Brought the car to the dealership and with a considerable amount of time testing and even more time discussing whether repair would be covered under warranty, the on board charge controller was replaced and covered by Nissan. I'm sure it would have cost thousands but thankfully they covered. The new charger worked fine. That car is now in a new home.

That's it.

John.

It's obvious that many, or most, of the people posting on this thread have no idea what Type 2 is.

Type 1 = J1772 / Level 1 / L1 / Level 2/ L2 in the US, 100 volts (Japan) up to 264 volts (US)

Type 2 = Menekkes 3 phase AC charging at 220-240 volts AC per leg (380-415 volts AC). Most cars sold in Europe have the Type 2 inlet, or have the CCS-Combo 2 inlet (which includes the Type 2 inlet).

The LEAF is sold worldwide with J1772 / Type 1 AC powered charging and also with optional CHAdeMO DC fast charging.

By plugging into a Type 2 "Menekkes" connection with an adapter to Type 1, the LEAF will only except power from one 220-240 volt leg of the three phases. Some locations throughout Europe prohibit the use of a single phase on a three phase connection, due to the obvious load imbalance. The charging stations may be programmed to prohibit single phase charging.

Back