Sblessley
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:01 am
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2015

Actual programming procedure for key fob?

Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:36 am

First post... please be gentle ;)

Bought a 2014 Leaf off-lease, great deal but just one key fob supplied. We bought another on Ebay ($50, key not cut). Then our local dealership charged us an hour of labor ($125) to program it, and had the nerve to tack on a $12 "parts" charge for the key (which I supplied). They're now doing the post-appointment follow-up and my inclination is to read them the riot act. Yes, I understand "the computer has to be connected" (Service Rep's words) - but I'm thinking this is a portable programming device that plugs into the ODBII connector or the like. as I've seen for other vehicles. Can it require more than 15 minutes, really?

So I'd appreciate anyone that knows the procedure and how long it takes. I've searched and looked at the 5 posts I found here, but most of them address dead batteries.

Thanks!

P.S. The bulletin board system added the ebay link - no idea what it points to.

baustin
Posts: 644
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:23 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162
Location: North Las Vegas, NV

Re: Actual programming procedure for key fob?

Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:02 pm

Programming the key fobs to work with the car requires the use of the diagnostic computer. All the key fobs that are to be associated with the car have to be there when the programming is done. The cost will vary from dealer to dealer. The dealer I use charges $300 to supply a new key fob, cut the key, and program the new and existing key fobs to the car. They charged me just $80 (May 2015) to cut the key and program the key fobs for the second unit I supplied ($95 from a Nissan dealer in Texas).
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

Evoforce
Posts: 824
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:58 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2015
Location: Fountain Hills Arizona

Re: Actual programming procedure for key fob?

Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:26 pm

I went to a local locksmith after buying a used one on EBay for $45+ a new blank key for $6. The cost for programming was $65.
*2011 Leaf 1 bought 2/28/15 @ 28,000ish mi 10 bar (8 bars @ 11/25/15 @ 37,453 ) (New lizard @ 39,275 mi @ 1/20/2016) Now 52,166 mi.
*Tesla Model S 61,000 mi
*2011 Leaf 2 bought 4/28/15 @ 24,000ish mi 12 bar (new lizard Dec. 2014 @ 22,273 mi) Now 35,485 mi

Sblessley
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:01 am
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2015

Re: Actual programming procedure for key fob?

Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:36 pm

Evoforce wrote:I went to a local locksmith after buying a used one on EBay for $45+ a new blank key for $6. The cost for programming was $65.


I did the same thing - Ebay-wise; probably should have been more diligent searching for Locksmiths - the 1st two couldn't do the job, and when I finally got in touch with the 3rd, he wouldn't attempt it unless it was original (like, in original packaging) because "if it was programmed before sometimes they lock them and they can't be programmed again". I hadn't heard of that scenario, but it was a mobile locksmith and I can understand him not wanting to drive to our place just to find out he couldn't get his fee. Your fee (EvoForce) is more what I expected - although what I paid was a good deal less than other folks replying.

Thanks all!

Evoforce
Posts: 824
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:58 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2015
Location: Fountain Hills Arizona

Re: Actual programming procedure for key fob?

Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:57 pm

Sblessley wrote:
Evoforce wrote:I went to a local locksmith after buying a used one on EBay for $45+ a new blank key for $6. The cost for programming was $65.


I did the same thing - Ebay-wise; probably should have been more diligent searching for Locksmiths - the 1st two couldn't do the job, and when I finally got in touch with the 3rd, he wouldn't attempt it unless it was original (like, in original packaging) because "if it was programmed before sometimes they lock them and they can't be programmed again". I hadn't heard of that scenario, but it was a mobile locksmith and I can understand him not wanting to drive to our place just to find out he couldn't get his fee. Your fee (EvoForce) is more what I expected - although what I paid was a good deal less than other folks replying.

Thanks all!
You are welcome! Good luck! I know you will be enjoying your Leaf!
*2011 Leaf 1 bought 2/28/15 @ 28,000ish mi 10 bar (8 bars @ 11/25/15 @ 37,453 ) (New lizard @ 39,275 mi @ 1/20/2016) Now 52,166 mi.
*Tesla Model S 61,000 mi
*2011 Leaf 2 bought 4/28/15 @ 24,000ish mi 12 bar (new lizard Dec. 2014 @ 22,273 mi) Now 35,485 mi

eddiesmith
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:08 am
Delivery Date: 06 Apr 1985
Leaf Number: 693582

Re: Actual programming procedure for key fob?

Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:21 am

Sblessley wrote:First post... please be gentle ;)

Bought a 2014 Leaf off-lease, great deal but just one key fob supplied. We bought another on Ebay ($50, key not cut). Then our local dealership charged us an hour of labor ($125) to program it, and had the nerve to tack on a $12 "parts" charge for the key (which I supplied). They're now doing the post-appointment follow-up and my inclination is to read them the riot act. Yes, I understand "the computer has to be connected" (Service Rep's words) - but I'm thinking this is a portable programming device that plugs into the ODBII connector or the like. as I've seen for other vehicles. Can it require more than 15 minutes, really?

So I'd appreciate anyone that knows the procedure and how long it takes. I've searched and looked at the 5 posts I found here, but most of them address dead batteries.

Thanks!

P.S. The bulletin board system added the ebay link - no idea what it points to.


I love my keyless entry and if I lost mine id shell out the cash for a replacement. A couple months ago I misplaced my keys. Called up a local Cicero Locksmith guy was charging $80 to program a new fob but it wasn't gonna be an OEM fob. If the dealer says $75-100 that sounds about right. Programming key fobs doesn't come cheap.

StanklinKibasho
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:08 am
Delivery Date: 08 Aug 2018

Re: Actual programming procedure for key fob?

Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:13 am

I also have leaf and it's key fob was lost few weeks ago. Locksmith Acworth GA has made the one for me which doesn't work first then they made the second one with no cost and till now i have no issues using that key.

peterhandscope
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:36 am
Delivery Date: 14 Dec 1987
Leaf Number: 215261

Re: Actual programming procedure for key fob?

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:41 am

You can see it on the manual and if it doesn't work then call locksmith or dealer they will explain you in brief. Like locksmith north york explained to me when i asked them for the procedure.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”