Actual programming procedure for key fob?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sblessley

First post... please be gentle ;)

Bought a 2014 Leaf off-lease, great deal but just one key fob supplied. We bought another on Ebay ($50, key not cut). Then our local dealership charged us an hour of labor ($125) to program it, and had the nerve to tack on a $12 "parts" charge for the key (which I supplied). They're now doing the post-appointment follow-up and my inclination is to read them the riot act. Yes, I understand "the computer has to be connected" (Service Rep's words) - but I'm thinking this is a portable programming device that plugs into the ODBII connector or the like. as I've seen for other vehicles. Can it require more than 15 minutes, really?

So I'd appreciate anyone that knows the procedure and how long it takes. I've searched and looked at the 5 posts I found here, but most of them address dead batteries.

Thanks!

P.S. The bulletin board system added the ebay link - no idea what it points to.

Programming the key fobs to work with the car requires the use of the diagnostic computer. All the key fobs that are to be associated with the car have to be there when the programming is done. The cost will vary from dealer to dealer. The dealer I use charges $300 to supply a new key fob, cut the key, and program the new and existing key fobs to the car. They charged me just $80 (May 2015) to cut the key and program the key fobs for the second unit I supplied ($95 from a Nissan dealer in Texas).

Evoforce said:
I went to a local locksmith after buying a used one on EBay for $45+ a new blank key for $6. The cost for programming was $65.

I did the same thing - Ebay-wise; probably should have been more diligent searching for Locksmiths - the 1st two couldn't do the job, and when I finally got in touch with the 3rd, he wouldn't attempt it unless it was original (like, in original packaging) because "if it was programmed before sometimes they lock them and they can't be programmed again". I hadn't heard of that scenario, but it was a mobile locksmith and I can understand him not wanting to drive to our place just to find out he couldn't get his fee. Your fee (EvoForce) is more what I expected - although what I paid was a good deal less than other folks replying.

Thanks all!

Sblessley said:
Evoforce said:
I went to a local locksmith after buying a used one on EBay for $45+ a new blank key for $6. The cost for programming was $65.

I did the same thing - Ebay-wise; probably should have been more diligent searching for Locksmiths - the 1st two couldn't do the job, and when I finally got in touch with the 3rd, he wouldn't attempt it unless it was original (like, in original packaging) because "if it was programmed before sometimes they lock them and they can't be programmed again". I hadn't heard of that scenario, but it was a mobile locksmith and I can understand him not wanting to drive to our place just to find out he couldn't get his fee. Your fee (EvoForce) is more what I expected - although what I paid was a good deal less than other folks replying.

Thanks all!
You are welcome! Good luck! I know you will be enjoying your Leaf!

Sblessley said:

Bought a 2014 Leaf off-lease, great deal but just one key fob supplied. We bought another on Ebay ($50, key not cut). Then our local dealership charged us an hour of labor ($125) to program it, and had the nerve to tack on a $12 "parts" charge for the key (which I supplied). They're now doing the post-appointment follow-up and my inclination is to read them the riot act. Yes, I understand "the computer has to be connected" (Service Rep's words) - but I'm thinking this is a portable programming device that plugs into the ODBII connector or the like. as I've seen for other vehicles. Can it require more than 15 minutes, really?

So I'd appreciate anyone that knows the procedure and how long it takes. I've searched and looked at the 5 posts I found here, but most of them address dead batteries.

Thanks!

I love my keyless entry and if I lost mine id shell out the cash for a replacement. A couple months ago I misplaced my keys. Called up a local Cicero Locksmith guy was charging $80 to program a new fob but it wasn't gonna be an OEM fob. If the dealer says $75-100 that sounds about right. Programming key fobs doesn't come cheap.

Thought I would share my experience in adding a key to our 2014 Leaf. I bought a used OEM fob from Ebay for $30. Note that some Ebay sellers say they have a Leaf fob but they are Jukes or Sentras or something because they do not have button to open the charge port door of the Leaf. Not sure if the 'press' trunk button opens this port or not but got the real Leaf key to avoid surprises.

I was told by the local locksmith that I needed to bring in all keys and they would all be reprogrammed at once. That made me nervous so I called the dealer and they said the same thing. In the process of shopping for a locksmith, one told me that I needed a new fob but clearly in this forum, posters have successfully programmed "used" OEM keys without issue. That was my experience. My locksmith hauled in a big box, connected to the OBDII port and did some magic and successfully programmed all 3 keys.

Lastly, after programming, I noticed the horn beeped when locking, which it did not do before. I found online that by pressing the Lock and Unlock button at the same time, it will toggle the horn sound with locking. So I toggled it the horn and get just the flashing lights when locking. And now when I misplace my key, I will have spare to use while looking for mine and avoid asking to borrow my wife's.

Sblessley said:

Bought a 2014 Leaf off-lease, great deal but just one key fob supplied. We bought another on Ebay ($50, key not cut). Then our local dealership charged us an hour of labor ($125) to program it, and had the nerve to tack on a $12 "bitlife" charge for the key (which I supplied). They're now doing the post-appointment follow-up and my inclination is to read them the riot act. Yes, I understand "the computer has to be connected" (Service Rep's words) - but I'm thinking this is a portable programming device that plugs into the ODBII connector or the like. as I've seen for other vehicles. Can it require more than 15 minutes, really?

Thanks!

In the case of key fob programming for Nissan vehicles, including the Leaf, the process typically involves connecting a specialized programming tool to the vehicle's onboard diagnostic (OBDII) port. This tool communicates with the vehicle's computer system to add or program the key fob.

Back