E-NV200 range + charging at services

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul2129

Hi, I'm considering the possibility that an E-NV200 might be an option for my small business, it started mainly due to the vehicle I'm using cant really be sign written, the van will save me some personal tax, road tax, and cost a whole lot less to run. Factoring this over a number of years, an 18 month to 2 year old van should hopefully pay for itself... And I'll be advertising more since I'll probably use it instead of my car, when that possible from a range point of view. I have a couple of questions if you can help :

1, I borrowed Nissans demonstrator last February, it was maybe 3c at the time, a day or so running the van from a full charge produced 63 miles, it was all done gently, and was two thirds in town, then dual carriageways on the way back to the dealer, it had only a few miles remaining after the 17 mile journey, despite claiming 40 miles range before I set off.
Could I expect more than this range, or less if my journey was a steady motorway at 55 - 60mph ?

2, could I presume that after usage of 7000 - 9000miles per year for 8 years that I could expect to get maybe 45-50 miles on a charge if my range now is 60-70 miles ?

3, Ecotricity seem to be widespread on the motorway services that I visit, there's a yearly subscription and charging is FOC ? But surely they're likely to start with a fee when they get to a certain number of users ?
What's the solution for charging when driving maybe 100 miles of motorway (only if I have to) that would be probably 3 charges, it's a shame that the range on these isn't more, and this larger battery pack (if eventually fitted to the NV just moved the goalposts backwards in terms of affording a new vehicle in the first place

If wonder for what percentage of people these vehicles make economical sense, I'm sure many buy them because they like them, feel they're helping the environment, or think they're probably saving money but never really worked it out. I don't do huge mileages, however they're mostly local, I don't live more than half a mile from work, so there's not even any commuting. But a £10,500+vat van, will be 'felt' as a roughly £7,000 cost to the business, save £200 a year road tax, and probably £900 a year in fuel

Any comments would be most appreciated

Unfortunately, MNL has mostly Americans and a few Canadians + a few from regions outside these two. Nissan has so far not elected to sell the e-NV200 in the US. So, it's not likely you'll get much of answer here. :(

I've personally seen one of these that was labeled as a test vehicle + 1 at Nissan HQ in Yokohama.

From your posts, you're most likely from the UK. Ecotricity doesn't exist here. I think your motorways are what we'd call freeways or highways here.

Haha, oops, I should check more carefully about forums before I join ! Thank you for your reply, have a great day

Paul

To answer one of the questions: highway driving gives much less range than city driving, for most if not all EVs. This is even more true for a van with lots of wind resistance. You'd get the best range in steady ~40kph driving, followed by stop and go driving, followed by ~70kph driving, followed, last, by highway driving.

See www.leaftalk.co.uk

But you can still learn a lot about EVs in general by reading here. Most of the issues still apply. For example, you can't go by the GOM.

Hoping for a 60 kWh eNV200 myself.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Hoping for a 60 kWh eNV200 myself.
+1
I'd even be happy with a 30kWh eNV200 but I'd also be willing to pay more for a larger capacity battery. Personally probably not up to 60kWh as I think it may add to much to the cost and even weight but it would be nice to be able to get a real world 100 miles range, which would probably be 80 after a couple years. As much as I'd want a eNV200 I think I'd have to pass if they stuck with the 24kWh they have now, after a few years I figure it would be lucky to get 40 miles freeway, which just wouldn't be enough for me.
Truthfully I've kind of given up on the eNV200 and figure the plug in Pacifica will probably be my next purchase but in all honesty a eNV200 would probably be my ideal vehicle, preferably the extended 3rd row version.......here's hoping!

Over here in New Zealand there is interest in the e-NV200 and some are becoming available second-hand ex the UK. They seem to be a great option and I have looked at https://speakev.com/forums/nissan-env200/ which is UK based for info.

Thanks for the great replies, and you're right, I did still learn some useful things from a non UK forum :)

^^^ not bad, now if they could just import it to N. America! Of course with the current administration's positiveness towards import taxes.....well I doubt the chicken tax will be repealed anytime soon :( which would be a death nail to a vehicle like this :x
AFA range, I drive an ICE NV-200 and average a bit above 20 MPG(I believe it's high profile really kills MPG, for sure at faster speeds). I feel if they made a ICE Leaf it would probably get ~40 MPG under the same conditions so figure 1/2 the range of an eNV-200 compared to a Leaf. If the 40kW Leaf can go 150 miles, I'd say more like 75 under real world(70 MPH freeways) N. American driving conditions for a eNV-200. Still 75 miles wouldn't be bad, I might be interested in a 5 passenger version, if it ever comes to this side of the pond.

Comparing EPA to JC08 on the LEAF, it's 151 vs. 248.5 miles (400km), so EPA is 60.8% of JC08 for it. I figured a ballpark conversion of 2/3rd to arrive at about 124 miles. At 60.8% EPA would be 113 miles for the e-NV200, so somewhere between 100 and 125 EPA is probably right.

Back