Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Re: Battery Capacity Warranty Start Date

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:06 am

@emanresu : I think it's time to find another dealer!
If your car was purchased in 2013 (as your profile suggests), you still have plenty of time to act on the battery capacity warranty (if that's what you're worried about).
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

baustin
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162

Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:54 am

emanresu wrote:There is so much confusion- I do know that I was told by a Nissan representative over the phone that my battery capacity warranty began on the 'retail sale' date- not the in service date. The dealer doesn't seem to know. The dates are all there, but nobody gives the same answers twice. The service writers at the dealer here don't know and don't want to know anything about the car. They don't even understand the difference between the battery capacity warranty and the battery warranty.

The Retail Sale Date and the In-Service Date are usually the same date. The date that is on the original sales contract for the first owner of the car is the warranty start date. If you did not take possession of the car on the sales date, that could lead to some confusion over the perceived in-service date, but the date on the original sales contract is the one that usually takes precedent.

The Service Department can look up the vehicle by VIN number and print out a page that shows the warranty start date. They did it for me, since I was not the original owner. That is the critical date, and it helps to have it printed out for you. If the dealer does want to service your vehicle, they likely don't have a Leaf Tech and are not certified to work on them. Find another dealer that is willing to work on the Leaf.
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

sandeen

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:57 am

Valdemar wrote:Is it always possible to determine the "in service" date? Buying Leaf second or third hand chances are you won't get to see the original sales contract.

Should be. I just did the live chat on the nissan website and they looked it up for me with the VIN.
2012 SL from TX, (mfg 8/12), used, 9 bars, 40k miles. my daily stats =/= my collected data on 4-bar losers

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”