Intro to EV Tech While we Wait

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyH

We won't know for a while exactly what's under the hood in the Leaf, but we can explore the way other companies build EVs while we wait.

One decent place to start is with the type of info vehicle techs get when a new vehicle arrives. Let's jump back to 1998 and look at the Ford Ranger EV.

Link to 1998 Ranger EV Student Guide

Andy, very interesting stuff. I downloaded the Ranger manual. Thanks! Also kind of sad to read....12 years of progress that could have been made....still, at least things are getting to roll now.

Loved my Ranger EV.
I think the motor had a bit less power output (67kW?) than the LEAF and the Ranger weighed about 2000lbs more. Still had nice accel and was a pleasure to drive. The rear-wheel regen (RWD from AC induction motor) worked very well. There's a few hundred of these gems left and an owners group that has begun converting many over to LiFePO. I expect they'll be around awhile. As a result of the RangerEV my garage is ready to go with a dedicated 240 circuit just waiting for that eTec.

If you haven't yet seen the 2006 classic "Who Killed the Electric Car" hit Netflix, Amazon, ebay, or Google for a download file. It's a must-see cultural background for EVers. :)

The Car That Could
The Inside Story of GM's Revolutionary Electric Vehicle

Michael Shnayerson
ISBN 067942105
Search Best Book Buys

Unprecedented secrecy surrounded the early development of General Motors's Impact. Shnayerson watched the story unfold from a position of access never granted a reporter before--literally from the inside of the pace-setting GM Impact program. This is the first book to penetrate the silence surrounding GM's risky and successful decision to become the world's first mass producer of the electric car.The story of General Motors' first mass-produced electric car, the EV1 (at first, unfortunately, named the Impact). This project was decades in gestation, the early dreams of pollution and noise-free vehicles taking a long time to progress beyond visionary prototypes.
This was partly because of opposition to the concept from oil companies and the automotive industry. Eventually a combination of government prodding and technological advances in battery design made it possible. Schnayerson describes the supportive role of GM chairman Robert Stempel and the tenacity of a group of true-believing engineers who kept the idea alive after Stempel was ousted.

Charging Ahead
Joe Sherman
Search Best Book Buys

Charging Ahead is a classic tale of perseverance against daunting odds in the pursuit of a personal dream--and an environmental revolution.
You'd have to be a fool to market a consumer electric car, let alone challenge the big three auto makers with a little start up company. But MIT graduate James Worden, with his girlfriend and a handful of audacious engineers, did both and he's well on his way to success. In this marvelous narrative, business writer Joe Sherman vividly describes how Worden and his team built the world's most advanced EV (electric vehicle), the Sunrise. Combining insightful biography with the best of science and business writing, Sherman captures not only Worden's own gripping story, but also the technical challenge of designing an electric car in an age of anxiety over the environment.
He depicts Worden's fascination with EVs from childhood (he built his award winning first electric car in high school), tracing it through his monomaniacal career at MIT, where he organized a student team that built EVs for races worldwide, to the founding of Solectria, a company committed to building a consumer electric car. Sherman shows how, despite all the obstacles, Solectria eventually lined up such strategic partners as the Pentagon on its way to producing the Sunrise a lightweight, all-composite, high tech commuter car. The Sunrise would triumph over rivals from the Big Three in the 7th American Tour de Sol, and later travel from Boston to New York on a single battery charge.

You can also checkout "AC Propulsion" they where involved way back when, and they are still in the game

http://www.acpropulsion.com/

Build your own EV is a great book, evnow!

my pleasure, sj. The student guide is a great EV overview.

Sparky - I've been agonizing over which classic EV to buy to convert to LiFePO4 for a long while. The US Electricar folks have almost full access to the systems and can reprogram charge profiles, replace controller chips, etc. but many of the components in the Hughes systems are obsolete (processor chips, etc.). I wanted a car for the efficiency but ultimately fell in love with the Ranger. Unfortunately I found that these vehicles aren't part of the used car loan system...unrecognized VINs, not in the valuation systems (blue book, black book). So they're cash only. :( I haven't found anyone that had a Ranger that didn't love it. I hope your Leaf treats you well!

Andy

AndyH said:
If you haven't yet seen the 2006 classic "Who Killed the Electric Car" hit Netflix, Amazon, ebay, or Google for a download file. It's a must-see cultural background for EVers. :)

Speaking of which checkout Chelsea's article on EV-1 owners test driving Volt in ABG.

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/04/26/chelsea-sexton-why-the-volts-engaged-roll-out-is-vital-especi/

mitch672 said:
You can also checkout "AC Propulsion" they where involved way back when, and they are still in the game

http://www.acpropulsion.com/

I drove an AC Propulsion eBox and it was a REAL pleasure to drive. But the conversion carried a $55,000 price tag, PLUS the cost of the Scion xB roller!

That's been the problem for me with commercially available EVs thus far....I couldn't afford to buy one! The Leaf is my first realistic shot!

Great interview with Seth Fletcher on 'Fresh Air' today

Leading The Charge To Make Better Electric Cars
Fletcher traces the battle to create a better, long-lasting battery in "Bottled Lightning: Superbatteries, Electric Cars and the New Lithium Economy". Fletcher tells Fresh Air's Dave Davies that lithium, the material of choice for battery manufacturers, has the potential to transform the automotive industry, power grids and the environment.

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/08/136856479/leading-the-charge-to-make-better-electric-cars

Lithium is certainly a good interim solution but I definitely do not believe that it is the long term solution, at least not in it's present composition. For EVs to become truly practical, we need something with at least twice the energy density as what we presently have and at half the cost...

solartim said:
Leading The Charge To Make Better Electric Cars
Fletcher traces the battle to create a better, long-lasting battery in "Bottled Lightning: Superbatteries, Electric Cars and the New Lithium Economy". Fletcher tells Fresh Air's Dave Davies that lithium, the material of choice for battery manufacturers, has the potential to transform the automotive industry, power grids and the environment.

Back