Does B + Eco give the same result as D + Eco ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a week now, I have been a proud new owner of a 2014 Leaf SV. Love the car. I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether the car is put into the same Eco operating state regardless of whether you were in D or B before pressing the Eco button. In other words, does Eco completely override both D and B? I noticed that "D" or "B" remains lit on the dash along with "Eco," but have not noticed any difference myself.

Eco changes the pedal response so that you have to push harder to get the same result. It also limits the amount consumed by the Climate Control system. This is most noticeable if it is really hot outside. The big difference between D and B is the amount of regen (B allows mostly single pedal driving). Eco works with either D or B, and it doesn't matter which order they are enabled or disabled. I used to use Eco a lot when I first got my Leaf, but now just flip between D and B based on driving conditions.

The ECO must be different on the Leafs that lack the B mode because the ECO mode on both my '12SL and '13S not only affect throttle response and HVAC but also significantly affect regen. Now I know the OP has a Leaf with both ECO and B modes but it sounds like along with adding a B mode they also changed the ECO operation....

Compiled from my own observations and the 2016 service manual:

(Acc = acceleration; OTR = Off Throttle Regeneration)

D Mode:
Normal Acc.; Normal OTR

D + Eco Mode:
Gentle Acc.; Strongish OTR

B Mode:
Normal Acc.; Strong OTR

B + Eco Mode:
Gentle Acc.; Strongest OTR

Eco mode also limits climate control max power and prevents rapid boost cabin cool / heat on startup.

Blended braking when modulating the brake pedal doesn't seem to be affected by D vs B vs Eco.

So, D/Eco and B/Eco modes result in different behavior with B/Eco having more regen than D/Eco. Looking again at the manual, I found where it says that Eco mode adds regen, while it restricts accelerator pedal response and climate control energy use (at page 5-17). But I still do not see an answer to this particular question. So, thanks for all the resplies. I also wasn't sure whether I should try to change between B/D modes on the fly. Now I know I can.

gshepherd said:
Compiled from my own observations and the 2016 service manual:

(Acc = acceleration; OTR = Off Throttle Regeneration)

D Mode:
Normal Acc.; Normal OTR

D + Eco Mode:
Gentle Acc.; Strongish OTR

B Mode:
Normal Acc.; Strong OTR

B + Eco Mode:
Gentle Acc.; Strongest OTR

Eco mode also limits climate control max power and prevents rapid boost cabin cool / heat on startup.

Blended braking when modulating the brake pedal doesn't seem to be affected by D vs B vs Eco.
Thanks, so it sounds like OTR may be stronger on a Leaf that has both ECO and B modes vs the older Leafs with ECO only or the newer S model Leafs which also lack the B mode. Oh and can someone who has both modes confirm whether B mode stays on even after power down? I believe I've read this before but not sure. ECO mode on pre '13 Leafs went off after every powerdown(major PIA IMO) but ECO stays on even after powerdown/power on with the S model Leafs.

B-mode does not stay after turn off. Need to double shift to go into B every time start the car.
My experience on 2016 SV.

I cannot tell much difference in off-pedal regeneration in B mode between ECO and normal with 2015. B mode provides much more off-pedal regeneration in 2015 than either D or ECO mode in 2011. Maximum regeneration (subject to battery controller limitations) is available in any mode by pressing the brake pedal for all model years. The 2015 allows much more regeneration at high state of charge and/or cool battery temperature than 2011. I suspect this is due to lower internal resistance of the "lizard" battery.

ECO mode required double shift every time on 2011 and B mode requires double shift each time on 2015. ECO mode reduces HVAC performance on all models.

Gerry

Back