Does GPS maps update automatically?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvu

I have a 2013, was wondering if the GPS update automatic via Satellite cause I see nissan selling updated nav SD cards. Not sure if I need to buy it

No, they do not update automatically. To update the maps, you need to buy the $189 update that is shipped on a SD card. The maps on the SD card are updated every 12-18 months (according to email support for the map producer). I've tried to get the actual production date for the maps on the current update, but have not been successful. Whoever is answering the emails, seems to have difficulty with reading and comprehension.

dvu said:
I have a 2013, was wondering if the GPS update automatic via Satellite cause I see nissan selling updated nav SD cards. Not sure if I need to buy it
No they do not, but it also sounds like you have a misunderstanding of how GPS works, in general.

The GPS satellites (operated by the DoD: http://www.gps.gov/governance/agencies/defense/) have atomic clocks on them. GPS receivers use the time signals to triangulate where the receiver is on earth since the receiver is a different distance away from each satellite in its area overhead. More at http://www.trimble.com/gps_tutorial/howgps.aspx.

They do NOT beam down any map data (e.g. roads, boundaries, etc.) The map data must come from another source such as storage device (disc, memory card, etc.) or via a data connection (e.g. cellular data, your broadband connection, etc.)

The only thing that can update automatically is the list of charging stations (via the cellular radio used for NissanConnect EV - formerly known as CarWings). For a 2013, that will only happen as long as the AT&T 2G network lives, which is being shutdown this month.

I cannot imagine any circumstances where it makes sense to buy an updated SD card for the in-car NAV. ($189 :shock:)

There are much better apps for NAV, especially on your Android phone. You can use Google Maps (online or offline) on your phone. Or use Open Street Maps -- download the open source build from f-droid and once in the app, you can download offline street maps for much of the world.

cwerdna said:
dvu said:
No they do not, but it also sounds like you have a misunderstanding of how GPS works, in general.

The GPS satellites (operated by the DoD: http://www.gps.gov/governance/agencies/defense/) have atomic clocks on them. GPS receivers use the time signals to triangulate where the receiver is on earth since the receiver is a different distance away from each satellite in its area overhead. More at http://www.trimble.com/gps_tutorial/howgps.aspx.

They do NOT beam down any map data (e.g. roads, boundaries, etc.) The map data must come from another source such as storage device (disc, memory card, etc.) or via a data connection (e.g. cellular data, your broadband connection, etc.)

Thanks everyone. The dealer told me the maps updates automatically via satellite hence my assumption.

I'm well aware of Satellite and GPS functions. There are different types of satellites, the one I use and work with also support data transfer, similar to GoGo Inflight on airlines or Inmarsat used in the Maritime industry. Hence I believed them. Not a big deal.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk and this is completely irrelevant to the current conversation, however GoGo actually primarily uses a system of ground based radios similar to cell phone towers. The do have some new satellite communications they use over the oceans.

It would be nice if the nav providers provided free updates to their maps. You can buy a brand new garmin for $189. Although for the most part every nav system i've seen built into a car is so terrible it's not hardly worth the trouble. The Nav system in my current Jetta will tell you to get off the interstate and then get right back on the same exit.

If I were keeping my Leaf I could see spending $189 for a map update after four years. I wouldn't enjoy spending it, but it does make sense for those who use the car's nav system.

The 2G network is definitely closing down everywhere this month? Damn, I'm going to miss it this Winter!

dvu said:
Thanks everyone. The dealer told me the maps updates automatically via satellite hence my assumption.

I'm well aware of Satellite and GPS functions. There are different types of satellites, the one I use and work with also support data transfer, similar to GoGo Inflight on airlines or Inmarsat used in the Maritime industry. Hence I believed them. Not a big deal.
This wouldn't be the first nor last time a dealer gave inaccurate info.

Yes, I'm aware of inflight Internet access besides other efforts like Globalstar, Teledesic and Iridium.

Back