First things I should do after buying a used Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruly1000

Just purchased a used 2013 SV with 25K miles, I pick it up in a few days when it's ready. What are the things I should do or have done to it right away? What should I know about or be aware of? I'm sure this has been discussed already but can't find the forum entries, if someone could direct me I'd greatly appreciate it, TIA.

For example I believe there is a Nissan Connect (formerly Carwings?) upgrade that needs to be done by a dealer, is that correct? Is it necessary given I also understand the 2013 Leaf relies on AT&T's 2G network which is going away at the end of 2016. Are these related (Nissan Connect and the 2G network)? I've heard about an app that I can install on my Android phone to remote control some stuff on the Leaf, what's the app? Is it the same thing as Nissan Connect (Carwings)? Does it need the 2G network to work? How do I sign up for Nissan Connect? Should I sign up?

I hear there is a $189 map update for the Navigation, should I do that? Especially for the locations of charge stations? Is the nav going to be more and more useless as times goes on? Should I just forget about it and use Google Maps on my phone?

I know there is one open recall that needs to be taken care of for this car (already being done). The used car dealer I bought it from (Platt Auto Group in Portland, OR) is taking it to the Nissan dealer to get the recall done. Are there any TSBs or other work I should/could have done or should be aware of?

Sorry for all the questions. Looking forward to picking up my Leaf. :)

Charge the 12 volt accessory battery, after measuring its resting voltage. You may or may not need to do that regularly. You will want to add a hardwired connection for an external charger/maintainer if you want to be able to just leave the car plugged in when not charging for significant lengths of time. If the 12 volt battery is the original one, replace it. If you want remote access to the car via Nissan Connect after next week, get the $199 modem upgrade. That will keep the functionality of Connect. Whether or not you'll need LeafSpy (which works via a Bluetooth adapter, not via Connect) depends on how much of the car's range you need to use.

ruly1000 said:
Just purchased a used 2013 SV with 25K miles, I pick it up in a few days when it's ready.
I hear there is a $189 map update for the Navigation, should I do that? Especially for the locations of charge stations? Is the nav going to be more and more useless as times goes on? Should I just forget about it and use Google Maps on my phone?
I use both, but generally the Navi works well for me.
There are a few places I've gone where the navigation isn't correct. And I've gone down some dead end roads following the directions as well. But Google Maps can be wrong as well.
The thing is, if I care enough I can actually get it changed on Google. And they update for free. There is no guaranty that buying that update will correct all errors. I haven't and won't spend the money on that.

Within the CarWings menu there is a place to update charging stations in your area. In fact, I updated mine before a recent trip and it add 8 new ones.
ruly1000 said:
Are these related (Nissan Connect and the 2G network)?
Yes
I felt it was important to get the 3G TCU update as I use the preheat and check on charging especially in these Maine winters.
Lots to read here about the 3G replacement.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=21573&start=220

ruly1000 said:

The built-in nav is terrible -- clunky to operate and I always forget where the stop navigation button is. Plus you it won't route you around traffic. Just get a smart phone mount and stick it in the AC vent. You can still get the audio from the navigation into the car speakers via bluetooth.

What I would do with any new "used" car.. Get the state inspection, check brakes and suspension. Have them check all fluid levels. Get a 4 wheel alignment, so you know all wheels are driving straight. Fill washer fluid

Get the LEAFSPY app on your phone, and a Bluetooth plug that connects to the underdash computer with the OBDII plug.

other than that, nothing to do,....

I use my phone for nav and plugshare app on my phone for charging locations, so I haven't updated the maps. The modem upgrade is an option if you think you will use it, I don't really use it much, so I am on the fence about upgrading my own.

Do not get the $189 upgrade for the built-in Nav Maps. You will be happier using your phone.

The list of known charging stations is updated via "CarWings", which the Nissan Connect EV app also talks to. Your car probably only has the 2G radio in it, which will stop functioning at the end of this month. Get the upgrade to the 3G radio for the $199 co-pay. (as mentioned above I see).

Finally, put tape over the dashboard range display (unaffectionately known as the guess-o-meter or GOM) or learn to never look at it again.
Get LeafSpyPro for your phone and an appropriate OBD-II dongle.

The very first thing I would do after buying a used LEAF would be to open the hood, look to the left and right for the little plastic covers over what I think are the front struts, take the plastic covers off, get all the water out that is sitting in there, and then clean off the rust as much as possible and put grease on to at least slow down the continuation of rust there.

I think this will eventually be a major safety issue, as to me it looks like the threaded strut, depending on where it rusts out at, will eventually be weakened so much and break. I wish more people would complain and/or open a case with Nissan. (I admit I haven't opened a case either with Nissan, never get around to doing it.)

I can't take credit for discovering this, somebody else on the forum mentioned it, complete with pictures, but I can't find it right now.

sub3marathonman said:
The very first thing I would do after buying a used LEAF would be to open the hood, look to the left and right for the little plastic covers over what I think are the front struts, take the plastic covers off, get all the water out that is sitting in there, and then clean off the rust as much as possible and put grease on to at least slow down the continuation of rust there.

I think this will eventually be a major safety issue, as to me it looks like the threaded strut, depending on where it rusts out at, will eventually be weakened so much and break. I wish more people would complain and/or open a case with Nissan. (I admit I haven't opened a case either with Nissan, never get around to doing it.)

I can't take credit for discovering this, somebody else on the forum mentioned it, complete with pictures, but I can't find it right now.
Well, that's new info for me. I will have to check that out on mine.

No one has mentioned charging yet. If you have the facility, install a 240v plug in the garage. Then buy a level 2 (240v) EVSE to plug into it. Also, you might want to purchase an upgrade of the original equipment charging cord supplied by Nissan. It's limited to 110v, but manufactured to supply much more than that. You can purchase a third party upgrade that changes the internals of the charge control circuits at places like http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=products_all.

You mentioned charging stations. Most require a membership contract where you choose payment option. We have cards for Blink, NrgGO, Av and some other supplier I can't think of at the moment.

On you home computer (and perhaps your mobile) get the plug share app. It does a reasonable job of updating charging stations in your area.

Then you'll have to start managing "range anxiety". As with all things LEAF this forum has some good discussions about dealing with it. Batteries don't provide as much power at low temp. They also break down faster at high temp. Heating the car uses lots of electricity. In My 2011 it's the worst.

Enjoy the car, their fun to own.

What cards you want depends on where you are, and where you hope to travel to.

No charging cards needed if this is just a commuting car and you will never push the range.

Coworker has just the Chargepoint card, as we have Chargepoint stations at work, which he sometimes uses.

I have Chargepoint, Blink, EVgo, Av, Greenlots, Electric Circuit, SemaConnect, pay with Plugshare on mobile phone, and some other supplier I can't think of at the moment.

I actually have two Blink cards, one of which used to be reserved for work. And two Chargepoint cards, one of which is reserved for work.

First thing is to inflate the tires to a higher pressure than 36 p.s.i. to reduce rolling resistance.
Some use 45 p.s.i., but I go for around 42 p.s.i.

Clean out leaves and junk around the air intakes under the hood below windshield and this:

sub3marathonman said:

Just done mine. Used WD-40 to help displace water, and a wood dowel to scrape off dirt and rust, then coated with grease.
Not a long-term solution, but a periodic maintenance item.

From rain on the windshield or washing the car - the square plastic covers have holes in them just like the adjacent air intake grille.

You can just about feel those covers with the hood closed by passing your fingers under the cowl at the corners.

I think the intent is that the water runs off the left and right edges of the windshield flows around the outside of the strut tower to a drain tube.

But some of the water inevitably gets into the recess where the strut bolt is.

sub3marathonman said:

Went out and checked my 2014 for this problem. It has the covers with vent holes but there were no signs of rust under it. Still I'll spray the area with lithium lube to be safe.

OP here, thanks for all the great advice! After driving the Leaf for a week commuting to work, I would add the following to the list of things to do after buying a used Leaf:

1. RTFM and go through all the settings and make sure they are what you want. Especially on a used Leaf who knows what was set by the previous owner (you can reset to factory defaults to start then go through the settings and set your own). Especially pay attention to the charge and climate control timers so your Leaf doesn't seem to have a mind of it's own as to whether it decides to charge or not.

2. Get a Nissan Connect (Carwings) account and change the setting in the Nav computer to your account (mine was set to the previous owners account).

3. Get a battery report from your Nissan dealer (IIRC its required for warranty if you still have some left).

4. Show off your EV to your friends and family. :) (be prepared to answer a million questions)

5. Figure out how to keep your spouse from commandeering what is now the nicer car. /s

oak said:
Also, as a reminder for anyone that installed a 240v EVSE this year in the US, you can get a 30% federal tax credit on the unit and electrical work:
https://www.clippercreek.com/30-federal-tax-credit-for-purchase-installation-of-clippercreek-evse/
I'm guessing this will go away with the new administration? If so I think they should come back with the so-called Hummer tax credit.....you remember the one Bush?? enacted to promote vehicles over 8000?? GVW :? Several of my neighbors purposely upsized their pickups from their normal 3/4 to 1 ton to take advantage of the credit :(

jjeff said:
oak said:
Also, as a reminder for anyone that installed a 240v EVSE this year in the US, you can get a 30% federal tax credit on the unit and electrical work:
https://www.clippercreek.com/30-federal-tax-credit-for-purchase-installation-of-clippercreek-evse/
I'm guessing this will go away with the new administration? If so I think they should come back with the so-called Hummer tax credit.....you remember the one Bush?? enacted to promote vehicles over 8000?? GVW :? Several of my neighbors purposely upsized their pickups from their normal 3/4 to 1 ton to take advantage of the credit :(

I was thinking the same thing ;)

One more to-do:

Call Nissan USA to find out exactly when your 5-year 60K miles battery warranty expires.

If your battery capacity decreases to 8 bars before warranty expires, Nissan will replace your battery for free ($5K to $6K value).

I was lucky that my 2011 Leaf battery ran down to 8 bars just in time right before expiration.

Best,
Philip

Back