First few weeks with my used Leaf... Insurance sticker shock!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlgrey

I got my first Leaf on December 15, winding up with a 2014 S with 19k miles for $8,900.

It's really beat my expectations. I'm in the inland Northwest and we've had fairly cold weather plus a ton of snow. I think my range anxiety lasted all of a week... even with our unplowed roads and 10 degree weather I drive it like any other car, blasting the heat and driving as necessary in my relatively traffic-heavy morning commute.

I will say I'm not impressed with the stock Ecopia tires. I'm sure the 1.5 ton curb weight and instant torque aren't helping in the snow, but the tires feel like injection-molded plastic :shock: . I've read a few threads on replacement tires but feel free to chime in with any recommendations.

The insurance cost did come as quite the shock to me, however. I'm 22 with one speeding ticket so I didn't expect a bargain, but I got quoted a full $241 more per month with the Leaf, almost a full 4x increase to $333 from $91. My wife has an 02 low mileage Outback valued about the same on our policy and I swapped an '81 VW diesel caddy out for the Leaf (the caddy is on garage insurance now at ~$6/month for summer camping trips).

Any insurance recommendations or tips out there? I'm with Farmers right now with homeowners and the two other cars. The service is excellent and all my other rates with them seem reasonable, but I wasn't expecting such a jump!

Get multiple quotes. Insurers are all over the map on cars like the Leaf. I use ESurance, but I'm not terribly impressed with them. Low rate to start, steady increases ever since.

I usually recommend the Michelin snows for good grip, quiet, and long life.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=X-Ice+Xi3&partnum=055HR6XI3XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Nissan&autoYear=2014&autoModel=Leaf&autoModClar=S
And have been using Progressive insurance for everything since I started motorcycling as they are by far the cheapest for bikes.

with regards to insurance I used to be with Liberty Mutual for all my needs, car, home and Life. A few years ago they started to pump up the prices and I shopped around again. I looked at Geico a few times in the past but they never matched Liberty Mutual, in 2014 they did, by a long mark, so I switched to them. Each 6 months I look and search and up until Dec 2016 they have been the best for me.

Make sure to setup the coverage that same for all quotes. I did that and I'm happy with a higher deductible of $1000 and switch on options to see their costs, sometimes fully comp is cheap for a old car but remember if you have a $1000 deduct, what would it cover?. etc..

Geico is quite good for that kind of research. They might not be able to help you, as they didn't for me until 2014, but it's worth a try.

I insure the LEAF for about $15 a month to have 1M/300k liability w/ uninsured motorist in Colorado through Amica with a clean driving record.
This is one of the benefits of buying inexpensive cars and driving safely and defensively : I self insure comp and collision.

I actually pointed out to my wife this morning that our newer Honda Fit is 30% cheaper. I presume the difference is car weight.

wow, that's insane! I'm on State Farm and I saw an increase as well with my Leaf (coming from a Prius), but only in the $40/month range.
I pay $118/month for a '13 Leaf and a '16 Highlander. The Leaf costs more than the brand new Highlander, btw.

I did get a quote from Geico recently that was around $79/month. I just haven't made the switch yet because I'm change averse.

Jefe said:
around $79/month. I just haven't made the switch yet because I'm change averse.

Send me the $40 month, for nothing, until you feel like changing (which is what the insurance company is saying to you.) I guess this is why it pays to shop around, as most people don't want to change and they know that.

wow. I just added my 2013 sl leaf to my insurance. It took mine from 400ish every 6 months to 600ish every 6 months for full coverage on it and my 2001 dodge caravan.

As you consider changing tires, keep in mind that there is a tradeoff between handling and rolling resistance. Although this is a sweeping generalization and not 100% accurate, in general, the best range (lowest friction) will come from tires with the worst grip.

Bob

I use Ameriprise through Costco for auto and home. I have 4 cars at about $115/month total for all. But more importantly, the Leaf is only a few dollars more vs. the other cars (04 Titan, 02 MINI, 03 MDX). This is full coverage, with 300k/???k liability, un/under insured, roadside assistance/towing.

I recommend you shop around. I rarely "use" insurance and go for the least cost product that meets my needs and is from a reputable company. I don't care about an agent talking nice to me, because it will be an adjuster who I really have to deal with after an accident.

Having leased a Leaf and now an eGolf, I can tell you that some insurers treat any EV's like they are Ferraris. For me, AAA seems to be the worst; consistently, for the last 4 years in a row (when I first got the Leaf), their quotes were far and away the highest of any insurer. Prior to the Leaf, their quotes were only slightly more than Allstate. GEICO and Progressive also gave me high quotes, but then they did that before I got a Leaf.

I had Allstate when I got the Leaf but dropped them and went to their own esurance subsidiary for the same price as before I got the Leaf. I'm now with Ameriprise through Costco.

As mentioned above, shop, shop, shop!

DuncanCunningham said:
Jefe said:
around $79/month. I just haven't made the switch yet because I'm change averse.

Send me the $40 month, for nothing, until you feel like changing (which is what the insurance company is saying to you.) I guess this is why it pays to shop around, as most people don't want to change and they know that.

Yeah, good point. What's your address?

Finally got some time to do some shopping.

No one came near the Farmer's quote, I believe the highest I saw for slightly more coverage was $221/mo. Now I'm scratching my head wondering if there's something my agent is missing, especially since Farmer's supposedly ignores my speeding ticket because it happened after I got my insurance.

Anywho, most ranged in the $140-170/month range for identical coverage, which is in line with my expectations. Except Ameriprise. They flat out denied me :lol:

I haven't purchased yet, but adding a 2015 to my insurance will bring me to about $90/month (2015 leaf and 2009 Odyssey EX-L)
I will have full coverage on both vehicles with 300/500/300 limits, un/under insured coverage, towing with USAA.

Me thinks you need to shop around.

Just added a 2015 SV to our Liberty Mutual plan today. Previously it was just my wife's 2012 Rav4 at $1027/year ($85.50 a month) and now it's $1679/year and $140 a month (an increase of about $55 a month). We're both 24, she's had a speeding ticket a few years ago but otherwise no accidents or anything else. That's with 100/300/100 coverage and $1000 deductibles for comprehensive and collision.

Really glad I saw this post. Just got my leaf yesterday and the insurance went up by $22. Did a quote with Costco brand and got it down by almost $50. Why do company increase the price to piss off royal customer I have no idea. Been with Geico for so man years now...

RonDawg said:
Having leased a Leaf and now an eGolf, I can tell you that some insurers treat any EV's like they are Ferraris. For me, AAA seems to be the worst; consistently, for the last 4 years in a row (when I first got the Leaf), their quotes were far and away the highest of any insurer. Prior to the Leaf, their quotes were only slightly more than Allstate. GEICO and Progressive also gave me high quotes, but then they did that before I got a Leaf.

I had Allstate when I got the Leaf but dropped them and went to their own esurance subsidiary for the same price as before I got the Leaf. I'm now with Ameriprise through Costco.

As mentioned above, shop, shop, shop!

Not all insurance companies are the same, when you have a serious claim that's when you see what your premium paid for, Some companies drop you on one accident, AAA is one of the best companies I have ever dealt with and the don;t jerk you around, I once had GEICO when I left an AAA area, it was a horrible experience. I got a quote on a Tesla, it was not much more than a Toyota truck with the same coverage.

EVDRIVER said:
Not all insurance companies are the same, when you have a serious claim that's when you see what your premium paid for, Some companies drop you on one accident, AAA is one of the best companies I have ever dealt with and the don;t jerk you around, I once had GEICO when I left an AAA area, it was a horrible experience. I got a quote on a Tesla, it was not much more than a Toyota truck with the same coverage.

AAA is on my personal hate list after they dropped me many years ago when I was in college. When I did have a claim with them they were also very difficult to deal with. I only ask for their quotes for comparison purposes.

Yes, I don't know why the Leaf is relatively expensive to insure... When I turned mine in and went to the Gen 2 Volt Premier, my rates fell by about 20%... It must simply be less expensive to repair than the Leaf...

Back