alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Re: New Leaf in Canada, need help!

Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:22 pm

A followup on both topics...

I sourced LED DRLs from http://lightdepot.ca/ and used the wiring method described here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6134

Works perfectly!

Also, I struggled a bit with Carwings but figured it out. I signed up for a Canadian account but fortunately I couldn't add the VIN as it was rejected. So, I signed up for an American account and put in the address of the dealer I bought the car from during registration. I then typed in the VIN and it said it was already registered (likely to previous owner) and gave me the option of opening a chat window.

The Nissan guy on the chat window asked me a few questions and I had to email him my title document, then he sent me back a PIN and Password to enter into Carwings on the car - worked right away!

It seems that even though it's a US Leaf, the SIM card in the non-upgraded TCU roams on Rogers network. Once Carwings was activated, I set the region on the nav system to Canada (BC) and then found that the builtin navigation system was working too.

One oddity is that the NissanConnect app for Android doesn't work, but I guessing that the app is logging into the Canadian account I created and not the "good" US one. So, if you haven't signed up for a Nissan Connect account yet I would recommend signing up for a US account only.

Luckily, Leaf Manager works fine and I can now use the climate controls, see the battery charge, and I don't really care about anything else :D
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:34 pm

alozzy wrote:It seems that even though it's a US Leaf, the SIM card in the non-upgraded TCU roams on Rogers network.

I wonder if that'll stop working relatively soon if AT&T gets hit by major roaming charges from Rogers.

When I last went to Canada several years ago, the roaming charges AT&T would levy were insane, so I put my phone in airplane mode. IIRC, it was on the order of $10 or $15 per megabyte.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:14 am

Yeah, I don't know how long Nissan will be willing to foot the bill for the roaming charges. Will just have to wait and see ;)
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”