DNAinaGoodWay
Delivery Date: 03 Dec 2012
Leaf Number: 23156

Re: Hello everyone

Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:38 am

Using LeafSpy, you can see how much you have left when you're below LBW and the GOM is dumbly flashing "---", also good for tire pressure and error codes. But when looking at a used car, you can also check pack Ahr and SOH and see how the cells look.
'12 SL last reading @ 2 yr, 22k, 260 GIDs, 62.35 Ahr

'15 SV w/QC, Mfd 5/14, Leased 8/14, 292 GIDs, 64.38 Ahr when new
@ 36 months, 34k, 270 GID, 57.49 Ahr

'17 Bolt LT

6.72 kW Array

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:31 am

Just providing an alternate point of view... If you only drive 50-60 miles per week, a Leaf may not be the car for you. If you drive only 3K miles per year, you would be wasting the battery potential as it degrades over time. Your cost per mile would be astronomical. The replacement cost of the battery is very high.

My feeling on this issue is that a low mileage driver should definitely keep a good car and use it for those 3K miles per year. You would go for decades with only fixed cost of gasoline. I have 2000 Honda Odyssey I bought new and drive sparingly (with only 60K miles, never needed repairs) and plan to keep it till it is 30 years old or more..

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:07 am

Lancpudn wrote:
DNAinaGoodWay wrote:It's highly recommended to get LeafSpy, especially when evaluating used cars.

Yes I think I should, mind you I need to drag my old behind into the 21st century & replace my old (not smart) mobile phone :roll: There's another thing I was meaning to ask, whats a GID! is there a reference table on this site you could point me to with the meanings! :)

I'd have to do more swatting up as to whats a good reading on Leafspy & what to avoid when I go to look at one.

Don't feel that you need to upgrade your cell phone (complete with an expensive data plan) in order to use Leaf Spy. You could easily pick up an old smartphone from ebay for relatively cheap. All you need is the bluetooth and/or wifi. You don't need it to connect to a 4G network.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

GetOffYourGas

Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:10 am

powersurge wrote:Just providing an alternate point of view... If you only drive 50-60 miles per week, a Leaf may not be the car for you. If you drive only 3K miles per year, you would be wasting the battery potential as it degrades over time. Your cost per mile would be astronomical. The replacement cost of the battery is very high.

My feeling on this issue is that a low mileage driver should definitely keep a good car and use it for those 3K miles per year. You would go for decades with only fixed cost of gasoline. I have 2000 Honda Odyssey I bought new and drive sparingly (with only 60K miles, never needed repairs) and plan to keep it till it is 30 years old or more..

I hear what you are saying, but that old Odyssey will undergo a lot more stress than an EV when used for frequent short trips. The engine may not get fully warmed up, particularly in winter. Doubtful that an ICE would last for "decades" under such stressful conditions. An EV wouldn't necessarily care about warming up. And if the OP only needs 50-60 miles per week, he/she could go a very long time before needing to replace the battery. Even a highly degraded battery can handle 10 miles per day.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2017 Bolt Premier

Lancpudn
Delivery Date: 27 Jan 2017

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:14 am

Thank you for all your replies, I really appreciate them. :) I really want rid of an ICE vehicle to be honest, I have an old Rover 75 it's a really nice car but it's becoming a bind trying to get it through it's annual emissions test every year, It's getting time to upgrade to another car & I don't really want to spend my money on another ICE vehicle. they're extremely expensive to run over here petrol wise.

DNAinaGoodWay
Delivery Date: 03 Dec 2012
Leaf Number: 23156

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:29 am

GetOffYourGas wrote:
Lancpudn wrote:
DNAinaGoodWay wrote:It's highly recommended to get LeafSpy, especially when evaluating used cars.

Yes I think I should, mind you I need to drag my old behind into the 21st century & replace my old (not smart) mobile phone :roll: There's another thing I was meaning to ask, whats a GID! is there a reference table on this site you could point me to with the meanings! :)

I'd have to do more swatting up as to whats a good reading on Leafspy & what to avoid when I go to look at one.

Don't feel that you need to upgrade your cell phone (complete with an expensive data plan) in order to use Leaf Spy. You could easily pick up an old smartphone from ebay for relatively cheap. All you need is the bluetooth and/or wifi. You don't need it to connect to a 4G network.

That's true, but you may want the ability to use Nissan Connect. Debatable wether it's worth the added expense however.
'12 SL last reading @ 2 yr, 22k, 260 GIDs, 62.35 Ahr

'15 SV w/QC, Mfd 5/14, Leased 8/14, 292 GIDs, 64.38 Ahr when new
@ 36 months, 34k, 270 GID, 57.49 Ahr

'17 Bolt LT

6.72 kW Array

GetOffYourGas

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:38 am

DNAinaGoodWay wrote:
GetOffYourGas wrote:
Lancpudn wrote:

That's true, but you may want the ability to use Nissan Connect. Debatable wether it's worth the added expense however.

FWIW, Nissan Connect works over wifi, if available. Obviously not as ubiquitous as 4G, but still many businesses offer it.

I'm only mentioning this to ease any concerns Lancpudn may have about upgrading his/her cell phone plan. That can be an expensive proposition.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2017 Bolt Premier

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:53 pm

Yes, a $30 Kyocera Event with no service plan is all he needs.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:27 pm

I can attest that when you retire your driving mileage really goes down. I leased my eGolf on September 20 and I now have just over 1700 miles. Knocking off a 40 mile round trip commute really helps.

You can say that the battery will degrade faster than my use but I really do not care. This is my forth BEV and I will never go back to gas!.

Realistically A Mazda 3 would fill my needs but it is an ICE vehicle. When the lease expires in three years I might try UBER for my needs. At that time I will be 72 and I do not want to make headlines like that guy in Santa Monica.
2012 Cayenne Red SL traded for:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250E

Lancpudn
Delivery Date: 27 Jan 2017

Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:18 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:Yes, a $30 Kyocera Event with no service plan is all he needs.

Well I got a little surprise off my younger brother today who said he has an older smart phone & charger lying in a drawer at home I can have. :D It's a Samsung Galaxy Fame model that has blue tooth etc & pretty much everything I'd need. :)

I got a no contract PAYG (pay as you go) SIM card & put 10 Quid on it & it works a treat. I'll see about downloading leafspy & ordering one of those OBD dongles now. :)

I really appreciate all the advice I've had off you guys. Thank you :)

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”