Condo living

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nqbus2001

Hey guys!! I am debating on getting the leaf. The only issue is i live in a condo that is around 200 feet from where i park. I have researched about extension cords...could this distance be done, or should i force my association to install a charger?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Nqbus2001 said:
Hey guys!! I am debating on getting the leaf. The only issue is i live in a condo that is around 200 feet from where i park. I have researched about extension cords...could this distance be done, or should i force my association to install a charger?

Thanks guys.

Howdy. It all comes down to the cable gauge size. SO yes it can be done byt you will be building the cable yourself from 8 gauge cable. That is what you would have to run underground if it was permanent. Above ground it has to be an outside type cable. My guess is probably under 250 bucks of materials including ends and cable. Hopefully you won't have to roll it up every day. :D

A 200 foot extension cord is not a good idea (even if you can get it to work)...and that says nothing about the EVSE sitting out in the open...or the fact that L1 charging won't get you very far.
If you can't get an L2 EVSE installed somewhere near by, sounds like an EV isn't in the cards right now.

I can't see where you live on this iPhone, but if you've looked at Plugshare you can see what public stations are in your area. An extension cord is not a good idea. If you can get an L2 put in, great, go for it. How about at work? What are your range needs? Perhaps an eVgo plan?

Question...are you going to extension cord L1, or L2? Cause I use a 100' Extension cord from my welder to the L2 charger, it can be done, but and that's a big BUT...would you want to.

Extension cord sounds like a bad idea unless it's possible to run it in a way that doesn't result in a trip hazard. Even then, 200 feet is a long run. You're almost certainly going to be hooking multiple cords together, and then they're not going to be completely water right.

I think the best bet is to convince your HOA to install an EV charger. If not for your own place, perhaps they could put a couple of EV charging spots for everyone to share.

Nqbus2001 said:

Thanks guys.

If you don't have an outlet close to your car (less than 25 feet), or a dedicated parking spot where you can install a 240 volt charging station, then I would suggest waiting to get a Leaf until you do. You also need to examine other issues, such as your daily driving needs, to see if a Leaf is a good fit for you.

Can you imagine the death and destruction that could happen if a 120v, or even worse 240v bare extension cord was in your neighborhood??

Dude, unless you are willing to charge somewhere else, forget an EV...

powersurge said:
Can you imagine the death and destruction that could happen if a 120v, or even worse 240v bare extension cord was in your neighborhood??

Dude, unless you are willing to charge somewhere else, forget an EV...

It will all depend on his situation. Where the line will be laying etc. Is it along a building, in shrubs. A proper outdoor 8 gauge cable is fine for that sort of thing. Go to a street fair someday. It is done routinely and within code. It would be better if it was a buried cable but no one knows the circumstances so....

No, my point is not if it is ok for the cable.. if I have a cable on my property, I can do what I want.

In a condo environment, can you imagine the anger and potential liability of one guy setting the precedent of running a high voltage extension cord through the "neighborhood" on a permanent basis, where people can trip, get hurt, and children can play with the cable and cut it?? A homeowner's association nightmare...

This condo dweller choses to live in public housing, and therefore cannot demand the comforts of a homeowner. A homeowner would also be responsible for what happens on his property...

powersurge said:
No, my point is not if it is ok for the cable.. if I have a cable on my property, I can do what I want.

In a condo environment, can you imagine the anger and potential liability of one guy setting the precedent of running a high voltage extension cord through the "neighborhood" on a permanent basis, where people can trip, get hurt, and children can play with the cable and cut it?? A homeowner's association nightmare...

This condo dweller choses to live in public housing, and therefore cannot demand the comforts of a homeowner. A homeowner would also be responsible for what happens on his property...

Agree with all your statements. But, we don't know the situation so there may be a way. I hope it works out for him. We too live in a townhouse. We had to jump through a couple minor hopes to mount one of our EVSE's in a discreet place outside our townhouse. However, the benefits of this type of community far outweigh the negatives for us. We have a double car driveway so that helps but anything mounted n the outside of the townhouse has to be approved. Kind of a good thing really.

Cheers

powersurge said:

First, a condo dweller IS a "home owner", and condos are NOT "public housing".
I live in a townhouse with a two car garage: I had a 220v 30amp circuit run in my garage and installed an EVSE. No problem at all for me. Other townhouses can be fairly easily accommodated, though condos can be troublesome.
On the hopeful side, some areas are now requiring all new condo/townhouse construction to provide electric charging stations for automobiles.

I cannot believe that we are still nitpicking this... In a condo, you do not own the outside property. you cannot do what you want outside. there is a Board (or Home Owners Association) that would never let 1 resident inflict running a 200 foot electrical cord through the common outside living area. Truth of the matter... He should not do this. He must first go to his HOA and make a petition. From the description, it will not be accepted.

In reality, you know nothing about this guy's situation to confirm that he could do this.... so stop nixing my opinion.

Back