Wiki down?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powagoat

Hi there. I'm new an considering buying a Leaf. I just checked the wiki site as the top sticky says (http://wiki.mynissanleaf.com/) and it looks like it's down.

I guess I'll also introduce myself while I'm at it.

I'm about to change jobs and lose my glorious 2.5 mile commute. My new commute won't be too bad (between 8 and 12 miles depending on how I decide to commute) but I expect some (some days lots) traffic. I've thought about having an electric car for a long time (looked into what a conversion would take back in the days before commercially available EVs but didn't have the means at the time to do it) and now might be the opportunity I've been looking for.

Prices on used Leafs seem... Quite attractive. I have other cars so I'm not concerned about range anxiety, and as long as I can get 40 miles to a charge I'll be perfectly happy with the battery.

For those of you who can give extra advice: I live in Massachusetts and will be working somewhere in Cambridge, commuting from the Lincoln area. I'm not 100% sure where I'll work, but let's say it's either Harvard Square or around the Cambridgeside Galleria. My choices are either to drive to Alewife and then take the red line or drive all the way in and park.

Both locations have free charge stations and there's a potential for a reduce parking rate for a small EV.

Mostly at this point I need to learn what the battery dropoff looks like over time - if it stabilizes at even 50% of brand new and holds there for years then I'll be all set. Anyway, hello and I look forward to learning more!

As you have seen, prices are great.

Your commute is very possible in a Leaf even with a degraded battery. You have charging available at the work end, what about at home? If you are not in an apartment/condo with shared parking, you should be able to set up an EVSE at home for charging.

Use LeafSpy to check the AH and SOH of the battery before you buy if at all possible. Plenty of other advice on this forum.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

I own a house with a garage so charging at home is no problem. My hope is that I can do all my charging at work, though! :)

My commute is 54 miles RT. I do about 300 miles a week. I can charge for free about a mile from work and like the walk most of the time. Being able to charge at both ends but not needing to is the best situation for not worrying about eventual loss of range due to battery degradation.

Back