LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: Battery capacity question (with picture)

Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:48 pm

Presently my Leaf with 44K miles has 51.3 Ahrs when fully charged (SOC=100%) and 12 bars. The first bar now drops at about 48 - 49 Ahrs while driving.

We were talking about capacity bars dropping, not charge bars. Are you saying that the first page AH reading can't be used to judge capacity? Can anyone confirm that?
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:52 pm

lorenfb wrote:With regard to your Ahrs, you have basically a new 24kWh Leaf!

Yep. My LEAF broker had to pick his jaw off the floor once he realized what he was selling me for $8300. The car also made his other choices look poor, particularly the off-leases that had lived in Atlanta instead of the N. California area. It is this car that has lead me to wonder how much of the variation in battery aging is related to usage differences and how much is just luck of the draw. I'm more than willing to accept that the first owners were easy on the battery and the climate was LEAF friendly, but almost no aging at all after 3 years certainly suggests a lucky sort from the factory. Maybe I'll sell the car back to Nissan in a few years so that they can learn to replicate it more consistently ;-)

[Think the voice of the guy promoting Arby's]: WE HAVE THE SECRET SAUCE!

I was playing around with LeafSpy today and forgot to check the battery health page to see if the software was normalizing the AHr reading to a 100% SoC. I'll remember next time and report back. Btw, there seems to be three versions of LeafSpy up for sale these days, spanning $0 to $15. It might be a chore to get everybody talking about the same page.
Last edited by SageBrush on Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:01 pm

SageBrush wrote:Btw, there seems to be three versions of LeafSpy up for sale these days, spanning $0 to $15. It might be a chore to get everybody talking about the same page.

Actually there are at least 6...

Three at https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Turbo3.

This has all been known for a long time. Lite you use to test your setup. The paid versions you get if you want more features.

See viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14284, which also includes a pointer to a version that appears to be for Amazon's Kindle tablets. There appears to be a Lite and Pro version for Kindles.

I think the auto parsing and replacement of text to Amazon links munged Turbo3's posts near the end of his 1st post.

iOS version at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/leafspy ... 76861?mt=8.
Last edited by cwerdna on Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

SageBrush

Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:35 pm

OK, more on Ahr readings from LeafSpy..
I am using the 'Pro' version, bought early 2017

Below is a screen capture of what I call the 'battery health' page, although it is not so named in my version of LEAFSpy.
It was caught while the battery SOC was below 60% and reports 63.88 Ahr, so I infer that the software has normalized my reading to ~ 100 Soc. I have no idea how that was done, but it does mean that on this page the user does not have to take into the account the SoC -- the software did it already.

Last edited by SageBrush on Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeftieBiker

Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:54 pm

Below is a screen capture of what I call the 'battery health' page, although it is not so named in my version of LEAFSpy.
It was caught while the battery SOC was below 60% and reports 63.88 Ahr, so I infer that the software has normalized my reading to ~ 100 Soc. I have no idea how that was done, but it does mean that on this page the user does not have to take into the account the SoC -- the software did it already.

That was my understanding of how it worked, until I got trolled...anyway, it looks like the pack is in excellent shape. Still, I'd take another reading in a week or two.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Firetruck41
Leaf Number: 408264

Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:40 pm

0000jimmy wrote:How much does it cost to replace the battery pack?

About $6500.
8/2015- New to me 12bar 2013 SV w/QC package and 37k miles

SageBrush

Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:02 pm

LeftieBiker wrote: it looks like the pack is in excellent shape. Still, I'd take another reading in a week or two.

I understand your skepticism -- it really does look too good to be true. Fortunately for me, repeat readings over the ~ month I have owned the car have been consistent and the range per charge matches up. The one time so far I charged up to 100% SoC the GOM reported 110 miles of range. I know that is wishful thinking but it is consistent with around 20+ kWh capacity.

lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:07 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Presently my Leaf with 44K miles has 51.3 Ahrs when fully charged (SOC=100%) and 12 bars. The first bar now drops at about 48 - 49 Ahrs while driving.

We were talking about capacity bars dropping, not charge bars. Are you saying that the first page AH reading can't be used to judge capacity? Can anyone confirm that?

Of course, i.e. I've yet to have a loss of a bar. I just provided additional insight about my Leaf as it's driven.

The image (page) that SageBrush posted does indicate the actual remaining Ahrs (@ SOC= 100% - normalized
or whatever), i.e. a virtual new Leaf. Congrats to SageBrush.

Again, my confirmation of the Ahrs @ SOC=100% using LeafSpy on my Leaf:

"With regard to your image of LeafSpy data (64.55 Ahrs & 97%), mostly likely the Ahrs shown are based on
SOC = 100%, i.e. it been "normalized" to use that term. I will verify this with my Leaf & LeafSpy.
Presently my LeafDD indicates about 32 Ahrs (not fully charged). LeafSpy indicates 53 Ahrs and SOC = 60%
with the same image as displayed upthread (53 Ahrs X 60% = 32 Ahrs). So the percentage shown is the
present SOC of your battery, i.e. it then had about 63 Ahrs (64.55 X 97%) of available capacity left from
the last charge."
Last edited by lorenfb on Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeftieBiker

Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:27 pm

SageBrush wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote: it looks like the pack is in excellent shape. Still, I'd take another reading in a week or two.

I understand your skepticism -- it really does look too good to be true. Fortunately for me, repeat readings over the ~ month I have owned the car have been consistent and the range per charge matches up. The one time so far I charged up to 100% SoC the GOM reported 110 miles of range. I know that is wishful thinking but it is consistent with around 20+ kWh capacity.

Good for you, then!

lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:40 pm

Without having LeafDD or LeafSpy, my experience with the Leaf would have been such that I would not
have bought-out my 3 year lease (36K) at 41K. Who likes driving a vehicle with a "shrinking gas tank"
and having to rely on a basically useless range calculator (GOM)?

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”