Just got my Leaf. Can you help a noob decipher my spy log?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voxmystica

Hello everyone! I just got a used 2015 Leaf S last week (paid $8,500) and this is my first post! The car spent it's lease life in GA and I ended up buying it in VA. I used Leaf Spy during my test drive and here were the results:

SOH: 97%
Ahr: 60.4
Hx: 93.18%

Since the test drive, I used Leaf spy a few more times. The log is below. Should my SOH and Hx be dropping this fast? I am having Nissan inspect it tomorrow and wondering if they can provide different or more accurate information on the battery health? Or does Leaf spy give me all I need to know. Thank you for your help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/20j5wwfu0xg1gg9/TripChrgLog_FC317504_79be1B.csv?dl=0

I'm not an expert on this, but when I multiply 66 (AH reading on a new pack, roughly) by 0.97 (the SOH, which corresponds pretty well to % of capacity remaining)) I get about 64, not 60. I don't know if the "reserved" AHs count or not, but with the dropping stats in the rest of the readings, I'd worry about a BMS reset. Try charging it until it shuts off charging (100%) and see if the readings go back up much or not.

I don't have a ton of experience either, but in the short time I've owned my Leaf, I've seen the Ahr reading vary quite a bit up and down. It seems to go down with partial charges or little use, and goes up with full charges to 100 percent.

I agree with the previous poster that you need a few full charges before reacting very much. I only see potentially one full charge in the 4 days of your activity log.

Everything I've read about the BMS reset indicates that they typically can't fake Ahr readings like they can reset bars. Based on that information and the normal variation of the Ahr readings on my car, I would just let things go for a while and see what you get over time.

Everything I've read about the BMS reset indicates that they typically can't fake Ahr readings like they can reset bars.

It was that initial reading of 60AH vs 97% SOH that concerns me most, although the subsequent drops don't inspire confidence either. I agree that it isn't time to panic, and hopefully some of the actual BMS experts here will respond today.

60 Ahr remaining in a car that lived two years in GA sounds about right, I suspect even better than average.

I just got back from having Nissan do a multi-point inspection with battery check. All was in great condition. They, of course, didn't give any details like Ahr, SOH, etc. So, I'll keep using Leaf Spy and check back here in a few weeks. I assume all the numbers on my log will even out. It was just alarming to see them keep going down at such a quick rate. Thanks for your help everyone.

When I bought my new 2015 S, I had a very low SOH of roughly 90%. But when I started doing some full charges last summer, it went up to almost 99%.

But it has started to drop again and is around 90% now. Not sure if this is real degradation or just because of some drop in temperature in winter.

Back