Hello! Just a few questions s

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ubermantim

Hey!
Name is Tim! I figure I would say thanks for having me first! I just have a few questions ....
I am a independent contractor for a few companies uber lyft and Amazon to name a few! As you can imagine I am in my vehicle a lot!!! I currently drive a 14 Cruze eco with a 6 gearbox great car super fuel efficient but the Nissan Leaf has really got my attention while starting the tax hell for this year I realized I spent $7,000 in fuel last year!! I can buy a decent leaf for that price used lol
So let me jump right into it .... sorry if they are noob questions
What year did the "lizard battery packs" start?
What year did the fast 6kw onboard chargers start?
What would be you personal advice for me being my first ev?
What's your average range?

I've did some research so far and found the issues with the batteries and that leads to the next question....
Do any of you use fast chargers on a daily basis?

I live in Philadelphia so there is quite a network of fast/level2 chargers everywhere.... I live in a town home community without chargers that's my out worry

Thanks in advance for your help! Any kind words would really help my decision if I wanna jump head on into ev life

What year did the "lizard battery packs" start?
What year did the fast 6kw onboard chargers start?
What would be you personal advice for me being my first ev?
What's your average range?

1. 2015, officially. Between April of 2013 and very late 2014 build dates, the packs were also pretty resistant to degradation, at least compared to the '11 - 3/13 packs. The date is on the driver's door sill.

2. 2013. The S version (all years) has the 6.6kw charger only if it also has the quick charge port. Otherwise it has the slower 3.3 on-board charger.

3. Read a lot more here. Like this topic: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=23297

4. Depends on the capacity left in the pack and driving style. The "range of ranges" would be from roughly 25 miles with a very degraded pack in hard Winter driving, to maybe 80 miles with a nearly-new pack in gentle city driving with the climate control off.

Until you have the ability to charge at home, I would advise against an EV for your situation, especially with the distances you are likely driving.

While $7000 is a lot for fuel in a year, you need to compare that to your total income for the year. It is also a business expense. Unless you have a separate electric meter for the car (which can be done, but is not common), tracking electric use for a business expense could get very tedious and time consuming. Charging at public stations (depending on the provider and cost per kwh) could be more expensive than fuel.

Assuming your fuel use is for your for hire driving alone, that is I am guessing 200+ miles a day. Assuming you sell your current vehicle and make the Leaf your primary for hire vehicle, you will be charging multiple times a day which will only work with a QC port and working QC stations being available.

I would think that you need to get a 2016 or better with the 30KWH pack for the extra range. My car's first owner tried to make it as a DC area cab, but without QC/ 4 hours to wait for a charge is way too long when you are working

BillHolz said:
Assuming your fuel use is for your for hire driving alone, that is I am guessing 200+ miles a day. Assuming you sell your current vehicle and make the Leaf your primary for hire vehicle, you will be charging multiple times a day which will only work with a QC port and working QC stations being available.
Yep -- I calculated some 250 miles a day. That sounds like 3-4 charges a day.

A used Prius will last a long time and give 50 MPG is driven conservatively. That will reduce fuel expenses ~ 40%

If you can find a used Prius PHEV, starting with a full charge in the am, and charging it one hour over lunch, it should give you about 65-70MPG over 250 miles.

LeftieBiker said:
If you can find a used Prius PHEV, starting with a full charge in the am, and charging it one hour over lunch, it should give you about 65-70MPG over 250 miles.
Range for the Gen1 Prius plug-in is about 13 miles, so 26 miles on two charges a day

If a regular Prius consumes 5 gallons a day over 250 miles,
the plug-in would consume (250-26)/50 = 4.48 gallons

That works out to ~ 55.8 MPG for the plug-in.
It might be worth it if the monthly additional payment is not more than about $20 and the electricity is free.

SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:
Range for the Gen1 Prius plug-in is about 13 miles, so 26 miles on two charges a day

It might be worth it if the monthly additional payment is not more than about $20 and the electricity is free.

The PIP will get about 75MPG for the first hundred miles after charging, by using Hybrid mode instead of EV. The EPA ratings are regularly exceeded by PIP drivers. We have a 2013 PIP: my housemate drives it 45 miles round trip three times a week, and the car's lifetime average MPG is around 70. That's including Upstate NY Winters.

LeftieBiker said:
SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:

The PIP will get about 75MPG for the first hundred miles after charging, by using Hybrid mode instead of EV. The EPA ratings are regularly exceeded by PIP drivers. We have a 2013 PIP: my housemate drives it 45 miles round trip three times a week, and the car's lifetime average MPG is around 70. That's including Upstate NY Winters.
Sorry, but that is not the PiP, it is your driving. I owned a Gen2 Prius for close to a decade and ended up right about 60 mpg lifetime: my driving was close to 70 mpg and my wife's was under 50. For strangers on the internet I prefer to use EPA numbers.

Sorry, but that is not the PiP, it is your driving. I owned a Gen2 Prius for close to a decade and ended up right about 60 mpg lifetime: my driving was close to 70 mpg and my wife's was under 50. For strangers on the internet I prefer to use EPA numbers.

No, that was her driving. I drive a Leaf and could have gotten a little higher. PIP drivers generally find they can beat the EPA numbers. A taxi driver with a lead foot might do worse, but a taxi driver with a gentle foot might also do better. If I understand correctly, you've never driven a Prius PHEV?

Thanks guys! All great info!
To be honest I used to do uber full time dedicated but people got under my skin so I might do it a few mornings during the weekday and Saturday nights!
Uber/lyft I was easily racking 200+ miles a day
I mainly deliver for amazon during the day I've been calculating number my average route including from the warehouse and back is 40 miles I usually do two routes a day so say 80 miles
I also do ubereats/grubhub/caviar when I feel in the mood
Funny y'all mentioned the plug in Prius because that's what I was originally in the market for when I bought the Cruze but at the time they were running $25k used! I've found a few now that are in the $12k range but lots of miles on them This Cruze eco does 35/52 but driving stick is a pain in the ass in the city! Also I would be keeping the Cruze I figured most Saturday nights I would need it plus I am underwater on the loan
There is a lot of free chargers around here I've also discovered the nrg program which isn't that bad but my only fear is using the fast charger too much and frying the battery! Hence why I would want the 6.6 charger also

If you're driving a lot, I don't think a Leaf is right for you. You can do it in an EV, but I think you need to look at the Chevy Bolt or Chevy Volt in that case. The Bolt has 230 miles of range which is much less likely to run out and if you buy one at with a quick charger then you would have that option for a backup. The Volt has about 50 miles of EV range (more if primarily city driving or if you are an efficient driver) and then switches to gas @ 42 mpg.

The Leaf is going to come up short for you, I'm pretty sure. Even with the 30 kwh battery the range just isn't there. If it's a used then the range will be lower due to battery degradation.

At the very minimum of look at the new Ioniq EV which has 124 mile range, but even that is cutting it close.

Ubermantim said:
I mainly deliver for amazon during the day I've been calculating number my average route including from the warehouse and back is 40 miles I usually do two routes a day so say 80 miles

This part caught my attention. Would Amazon be willing to install an EVSE at the warehouse? Or better yet, maybe they already have one. How long do you spend between your two routes loading up at the warehouse? You can add 20-25 miles of range in an hour (with the 6.6kW charger), and that might be the difference between pushing your range and finishing the day comfortably.

Nagorak
I actually wanted to do a bolt but I already own a Cruze the build quality is terrible! I am waiting to see if the first gen/year is really wacked out and see how the values hold up ..... the volt wouldn't be a bad option but I couldn't use it for uber if needed since it's only a four seater but that Hyundai holds promise I am sitting back watching the market see what pans out
Getoffyourgas
That I didn't even think of!! Honestly that would be awesome if they did! I usually spend a bare minimum of 30 minutes at the warehouse but I always leave about an hour or two between routes so say if they did put a charger in I could grab lunch on the way back .... plug in and wait! I wouldn't even have to unplug it until I am loaded and ready to roll .... I am going to shoot that past the managers today see if I can get a ball rolling I am sure they wouldn't have a issue me plugging in the level one but that would take forever!

Back