TCU upgrade not working

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macinator

Just paid $199 copay on the TCU upgrade. Later the same day, I found out Nissan has disabled Carwings for all LEAFs, but web portal is still supposed to work. Mine does not.

I have just paid for a part that does not work and that NIssan has disabled, with telling any of their dealers this information. Talked to 2 dealers in my area, and both think I am full of BS. :eek:

Not sure what my next step should be as dealer thinks it is my problem it is not connecting because they have no knowledge of carwings being disabled. I believe this is fraud.

At the very least I should get my $199 dollars back from Nissan. What does anyone else think?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2016/02/24/nissan-disables-app-hacked-electric-leaf-smart-phone-troy-hunt/80882756/

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/nissan-shutters-nissanconnect-hacking-concerns/

You might want to learn how to read....and it does not matter what it is called now. It is disabled. For those that can read that is....

Macinator said:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2016/02/24/nissan-disables-app-hacked-electric-leaf-smart-phone-troy-hunt/80882756/

You might want to learn to read....

You might want to check a calendar: that article was from 2016 and was discussed in several threads on this forum.
I knew I shouldn't have bothered to respond to this thread... :roll:

Just moments ago I used Nissan Connect app on my iPhone to check on my 2016 SV which has been sitting in storage at 60% SOC since late October. Still working. Estimated range actually went up one mile since I last checked on it a week ago.

It can take 24-48 hours (or longer!) for Nissan's servers to provision a telematics unit. Give it a couple days and try again.

Tomorrow at noon will be 72 hours. I will try it again. The car shows error message: Can not connect, try again later.

The very instant I touch the sign in button.

Patience, you must have patience. The TCU will be busy for 1-2 minutes after you first start up the car, then you can do whatever you need to do. If you bought your Leaf used you will have to contact Nissan to change ownership records.

Just updated mine works fine.

One of our two LEAFs showed up in the system within 12 hours. The other took nearly a week to get sorted out with multiple calls to the Nissan EV support line. Both were brand new cars. The 3G upgrade, I would imagine, would go through a similar process.

You'd think an automated system would provision immediately, so I'm left to conclude there is some human involvement at some point in the chain on the back end. Given Nissan is footing the AT&T bill for the cellular M2M service and backend data center infrastructure, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some manual paperwork and verification going on, let alone the likelihood of multiple suppliers involved. At least we're not paying a subscription fee as with GM's OnStar.

I'd call the 1-800 # at this point and get a ticket in their system.

Macinator said:
Tomorrow at noon will be 72 hours. I will try it again. The car shows error message: Can not connect, try again later.

The very instant I touch the sign in button.

The first thing to try is disconnecting one of the battery cables for a couple minutes to reboot the TCU.

Go into the CarWings settings in the NAV system and look at the Unit ID info. The telephone number should be 4 asterisks (****), and the other 4 lines should be populated with characters. If the VIN number does not display correctly, then the dealer tech did not follow the proper install procedure. If so, refer them to Campaign Bulletin PC449/PC450 dated 17 November 2016 for the correct install procedure. The upgrade process includes programming the new TCU with the Consult tool, and several calls to register and activate the new unit. The tech also needs the IMEI numbers off both the old and new TCU to complete the process.

It could also be that you are one of those suffering from the low voltage issue with the 12 volt battery that causes the new TCU to go into standby mode. Open the hood on the car and let it sit for several hours turned off. Do not open the doors, use the remote, connect or remove the charge cable, turn it on, or have anything connected to the OBD port. Check the voltage level on the 12 volt battery after it has sat untouched for several hours (overnight is better). If it reads below 12.5 volts, then you have a battery that possibly needs replaced. You can try checking the battery cells, topping them off with distilled water, disconnecting it from the car and giving it a full charge with an external charger. If the 12 volt battery is more than 3 for 4 years old, it might be better to just replace it.

The first thing to try is disconnecting one of the battery cables for a couple minutes to reboot the TCU.

Go into the CarWings settings in the NAV system and look at the Unit ID info. The telephone number should be 4 asterisks (****), and the other 4 lines should be populated with characters. If the VIN number does not display correctly, then the dealer tech did not follow the proper install procedure. If so, refer them to Campaign Bulletin PC449/PC450 dated 17 November 2016 for the correct install procedure. The upgrade process includes programming the new TCU with the Consult tool, and several calls to register and activate the new unit. The tech also needs the IMEI numbers off both the old and new TCU to complete the process.

It could also be that you are one of those suffering from the low voltage issue with the 12 volt battery that causes the new TCU to go into standby mode. Open the hood on the car and let it sit for several hours turned off. Do not open the doors, use the remote, connect or remove the charge cable, turn it on, or have anything connected to the OBD port. Check the voltage level on the 12 volt battery after it has sat untouched for several hours (overnight is better). If it reads below 12.5 volts, then you have a battery that possibly needs replaced. You can try checking the battery cells, topping them off with distilled water, disconnecting it from the car and giving it a full charge with an external charger. If the 12 volt battery is more than 3 for 4 years old, it might be better to just replace it.

I will check the battery tonight and unit ID info. Thanks for you help. I will post tomorrow what I find out.

Had my TC upgrade a couple weeks ago. NissanConnect was working within an hour.

Things to try:

1. Uninstall/reinstall the app
2. Logout/login <-- this has solved the majority of server connection issues for me.

I had my upgrade done in December (2014 SV). It worked fine for 2 months, then last week it stopped working. Didn't get around to researching over the weekend. I'll try baustin's procedure when I get a chance, probably this coming weekend. I'll report back on my results. Nissan Leaf Pro showed my 12V battery at about 11.95V plugged in, but fully charged for several hours.

OK, the 12V battery reads 12.1 after setting for a day. Stopping off at my favorite battery store tonight on the way home and get it replaced, then start the process over again and see what I get.

As this battery is 5 years old, it is time to replace it anyway.

I still have zero connection from the car to anything. No map updates, charger updates etc. All state " the connection to the service has failed".

Replaced battery, tested at 13.4 volts after 6 hours standing. Re-entered all information, and still Can not connect. Calling dealer and taking it back in. :(

I'm watching this thread. I'm on two weeks with my TCU upgrade working very occasionally.

has your LEAF been throwing codes? maybe lighting up the EV warning light on first start after overnight charging? (that's what mine is doing..)

I've had three new TCUs. The first two never did anything at all, as far as I can tell.

The third one worked right away. Logged in. Then, after a few weeks, it stopped responding to remote connections (web, phone app), but would still download updated charging stations. Pulled and replaced the audio fuse, then it started working again.

I expect to be pulling and replacing the audio fuse about every couple of weeks or so. Until Nissan fixes this.

Hey Nissan, when is this going to be fixed?

Macinator, from your description it sounds like the dealer didn't finish the install. Also did you buy new or used? You may want to go to nissan.com and hop on a chat support line and give them your VIN and TCU # etc, if you bought used you need to send them proof of ownership and then they will send you a new login and password.

Personally, my Carwings has been working pretty much 100% since January 30th when I replaced my lead acid battery with a LifePO4. It has not dropped below 13 volts during this time. I have spotty 3G at my house but other than that Carwings has worked every single day.

WetEV, what's the condition of your lead-acid battery?

waterr, 11.95 volts is WAY too low for your lead-acid battery. You probably have gotten EV warning lights for that voltage. I'd replace that ASAP and then report back on Carwings.

One other thing I don't seem to be doing is having problems with my Carwings :lol:

My battery stays above 13 volts whether it is 75F or 10F. I have posted that in one of these threads, I guess not this one. Sorry for trying to help, have fun with the Nissan dealer!

I purchased the LEAF SL model with all options in April 2012.

So the 12volt battery was due for replacement.

Up next is brake fluid change, and inverter cooling pump 2 is starting to go. That is the yellow intermittent light on your old LEAF dashboards.

I will be trading this in on a Model 3 as soon as mine is made.
Just want my LEAF it in good shape for max trade in value. :D

Back