SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Re: Newbie: Range Questions 34 mile one way commute

Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:25 am

OP,
Do you have another car you will own in addition to the LEAF ?

We do, and I honestly would not buy a LEAF as my only car. This is said as a resident of a rural area. It probably will not surprise you that I had to tow the LEAF home 150 miles after purchase, or spend a couple days at the task using the single L1 charger en-route.

If you will only have one car, I suggest you consider a plug-in. I just bought a Prius Prime as our second car. A used Volt is also a car to consider if you can stomach GM.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

offtosleep
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2017

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:12 am

Reddy wrote:OP: I have little to add, except, listen closely to all of this advice. I've been reading this site for over six years and the advice that you've been given is absolutely sound. Bottom line: Get it in writing, pay for the electricity, or go with 30 KWh battery SV or SL. Otherwise you'll regret it, may be not this year or next, but in 3-4 years.

Thank you for the solid advice! I'm

offtosleep

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:27 am

SageBrush wrote:OP,
Do you have another car you will own in addition to the LEAF ?

We do, and I honestly would not buy a LEAF as my only car. This is said as a resident of a rural area. It probably will not surprise you that I had to tow the LEAF home 150 miles after purchase, or spend a couple days at the task using the single L1 charger en-route.

If you will only have one car, I suggest you consider a plug-in. I just bought a Prius Prime as our second car. A used Volt is also a car to consider if you can stomach GM.

This is definitely a 2nd if not 4th car (sometimes I feel like a used car lot)....plenty of cars. Was hoping to make a LEAF my commuter to save wear and tear on my others.

I can 100% understand the towing issue. The proposed LEAF wouldn't make it to anywhere close to the next "city" (sounds like we live in similarly rural areas). In fact, from the way this thread is going, it may not even suite my proposed commute!

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:40 am

offtosleep wrote:This is definitely a 2nd if not 4th car (sometimes I feel like a used car lot)....plenty of cars. Was hoping to make a LEAF my commuter to save wear and tear on my others.

I can 100% understand the towing issue. The proposed LEAF wouldn't make it to anywhere close to the next "city" (sounds like we live in similarly rural areas). In fact, from the way this thread is going, it may not even suite my proposed commute!
Now you have more options, since you can use the LEAF on most, but perhaps not all commute days.

Will the LEAF spend time toasting in the sun at either work or home ? My opinion (though not accepted by all) is this is a major factor in battery longevity.

How did your interview go ?
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

offtosleep

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:54 am

SageBrush wrote:
offtosleep wrote:This is definitely a 2nd if not 4th car (sometimes I feel like a used car lot)....plenty of cars. Was hoping to make a LEAF my commuter to save wear and tear on my others.

Now you have more options, since you can use the LEAF on most, but perhaps not all commute days.

Will the LEAF spend time toasting in the sun at either work or home ? My opinion (though not accepted by all) is this is a major factor in battery longevity.

How did your interview go ?

There is definitely no covered parking that I am aware of, but our highs are rarely above 80 F.

Interview went great! I was offered the position :). From my username, you may or may it have guessed my profession :lol:

offtosleep

Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:37 pm

Okay gang, back down the rabbit hole we go!

I have located a 2012 Nissan LEAF SL. It has around 37,000 miles but just had a BRAND NEW BATTERY INSTALLED under a factory warranty. It does have both the DC charger and a EVSE charging port. The guy selling it has a 240V EVSE charger he'll through in with the deal. I've got him talked down to $7500.

Opinions?

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:39 pm

Sounds like a good deal. Remember to upgrade the heater with an Off switch and some insulation.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:03 pm

offtosleep wrote:Okay gang, back down the rabbit hole we go!

I have located a 2012 Nissan LEAF SL. It has around 37,000 miles but just had a BRAND NEW BATTERY INSTALLED under a factory warranty. It does have both the DC charger and a EVSE charging port. The guy selling it has a 240V EVSE charger he'll through in with the deal. I've got him talked down to $7500.

Opinions?

That should work. It doesn't have the heat pump and the heater will need a little work like LeftieBiker said. Also the 240V charging will take twice as long as a newer SL: Dead to full in about 7 hours instead of 4, with normal charging times being 4 to 5 hours instead of 2 to 3.

It should have the 80% option, so enjoy!

2012's also have an electric parking brake. The only problem with those is that if you run the battery clear down to dead nothing the brake will set and you won't be able to push the car until you charge the battery up a little. In other words, if you see the turtle light come on, stop using the accelerator and start physically pushing or wait for the tow truck.

There was a guy who didn't know that and he drove his car until it wouldn't go any further, only a few blocks from his home. Then he asked a neighbor of he could charge with the level 1 EVSE, but he couldn't push the car close enough for the EVSE with an extension cord to reach because he couldn't push the car at all. So he had to call a tow truck and the tow truck had to bring a generator in order to get the Leaf to release the parking brake. If he had of stopped trying to accelerate he could have pushed his car to a neighbors house and have charged there. (On the other hand this rule might apply to all Leafs since I'm not sure if battery power is needed to shift from park.)
2013 SL 45,000 miles.
12 bars until 44,300 miles on June 2, 2017. :D
11 bars current. :)
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

offtosleep

Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:29 pm

offtosleep

Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:25 pm

IssacZachary wrote:
offtosleep wrote:Okay gang, back down the rabbit hole we go!

Opinions?

That should work. It doesn't have the heat pump and the heater will need a little work like LeftieBiker said. Also the 240V charging will take twice as long as a newer SL: Dead to full in about 7 hours instead of 4, with normal charging times being 4 to 5 hours instead of 2 to 3.

It should have the 80% option, so enjoy!

2012's also have an electric parking brake. The only problem with those is that if you run the battery clear down to dead nothing the brake will set and you won't be able to push the car until you charge the battery up a little. In other words, if you see the turtle light come on, stop using the accelerator and start physically pushing or wait for the tow truck.

There was a guy who didn't know that and he drove his car until it wouldn't go any further, only a few blocks from his home. Then he asked a neighbor of he could charge with the level 1 EVSE, but he couldn't push the car close enough for the EVSE with an extension cord to reach because he couldn't push the car at all. So he had to call a tow truck and the tow truck had to bring a generator in order to get the Leaf to release the parking brake. If he had of stopped trying to accelerate he could have pushed his car to a neighbors house and have charged there. (On the other hand this rule might apply to all Leafs since I'm not sure if battery power is needed to shift from park.)

I'm going to use this one as a trial run and for around town. It will be my sons car too (he just turned 16). He can use it to run his siblings around to school, soccer practice, local errands etc. I'm still going to be on the look out for a 2016 SL or SV in the mean time. I really want a 30kWH battery for my commuter.
Last edited by offtosleep on Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”