More People Should be Buying These

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4CloverLeaf

First off, I want to thank everyone who has been contributing to this wonderful resource. I have been doing a lot of reading on here before buying my first first EV last night. It is a 2017 Leaf SV and it is simply put, the smart decision. I don't understand why tons more people are not running out and snatching all of the things up where I live with the incentives available. My state has a $5,000 rebate, plus the federal rebate of $7,500, plus a incentives program of our power company and Nissan for another $10,000 for a total of $22,500 off. I was able to get my dealer to reduce the asking price and I feel like I just got a new car for the price of an average five year old car. In total, the car is essentially 67.23% off! I know there is a new one coming in September and lots of other great cars now on the market, but this is such an all around value when you really think about it. Added on top of that are the low running cost (I have 50 mile/workday commute), the environmental impact, and low maintenance costs. I don't even need to keep the car that long for it to pay for itself.

The past few years I have been driving a wonderful BMW 135i which I adore. Here's the thing, I am a stupid Neanderthal of a man who can't seem to own a sports car and not tinker with it to make it faster and faster. Me see fire, me want BIGGER fire. You get the idea. Sure, I go out to the track a few times a year and get to take advantage of my efforts. Mostly I just drive to and from work at reasonable speeds, in traffic, on beaten up pavement and am punished for my efforts of making the car faster. I have engineered the suspension to be wonderful on a track at the limits and at high speeds, but it is utterly startling over potholes. Also, 400+ horsepower is not so awesome in stop and go traffic. It is frustrating useless. I have come to realize that I want two cars. One for commuting and one for fun. I will no longer go with the amotmotive mullet of a daily driven track car. I also believe that I will be much better served trying to be more efficient instead of faster. This should be a much more practical way of utilizing my competitive nature.

The Leaf is quiet, smooth, clean, efficient, and cheap. Isn't that exactly what most people want in a commuter car? Most households have two or more cars which makes range limitations infrequent for most situations. It is rare that my wife and I both drive over 100 miles. The Leaf is going to suit our needs perfectly. Plus, I have been looking for an excuse to put in a 240v outlet in the garage for a welder. This just makes perfect sense and I can't see why these things are not sold out everywhere.

I look forward to learning more about the car and how I can be more efficient. Thanks again to everyone who has contributed and helped me become comfortable with the jump to electric and who have put up with my long first post.

4CloverLeaf said:
First off, I want to thank everyone who has been contributing to this wonderful resource. I have been doing a lot of reading on here before buying my first first EV last night. It is a 2017 Leaf SV and it is simply put, the smart decision. I don't understand why tons more people are not running out and snatching all of the things up where I live with the incentives available. My state has a $5,000 rebate, plus the federal rebate of $7,500, plus a incentives program of our power company and Nissan for another $10,000 for a total of $22,500 off. I was able to get my dealer to reduce the asking price and I feel like I just got a new car for the price of an average five year old car. In total, the car is essentially 67.23% off! I know there is a new one coming in September and lots of other great cars now on the market, but this is such an all around value when you really think about it. Added on top of that are the low running cost (I have 50 mile/workday commute), the environmental impact, and low maintenance costs. I don't even need to keep the car that long for it to pay for itself.

The past few years I have been driving a wonderful BMW 135i which I adore. Here's the thing, I am a stupid Neanderthal of a man who can't seem to own a sports car and not tinker with it to make it faster and faster. Me see fire, me want BIGGER fire. You get the idea. Sure, I go out to the track a few times a year and get to take advantage of my efforts. Mostly I just drive to and from work at reasonable speeds, in traffic, on beaten up pavement and am punished for my efforts of making the car faster. I have engineered the suspension to be wonderful on a track at the limits and at high speeds, but it is utterly startling over potholes. Also, 400+ horsepower is not so awesome in stop and go traffic. It is frustrating useless. I have come to realize that I want two cars. One for commuting and one for fun. I will no longer go with the amotmotive mullet of a daily driven track car. I also believe that I will be much better served trying to be more efficient instead of faster. This should be a much more practical way of utilizing my competitive nature.

The Leaf is quiet, smooth, clean, efficient, and cheap. Isn't that exactly what most people want in a commuter car? Most households have two or more cars which makes range limitations infrequent for most situations. It is rare that my wife and I both drive over 100 miles. The Leaf is going to suit our needs perfectly. Plus, I have been looking for an excuse to put in a 240v outlet in the garage for a welder. This just makes perfect sense and I can't see why these things are not sold out everywhere.

I look forward to learning more about the car and how I can be more efficient. Thanks again to everyone who has contributed and helped me become comfortable with the jump to electric and who have put up with my long first post.

What state are you in?

4CloverLeaf said:
First off, I want to thank everyone who has been contributing to this wonderful resource. I have been doing a lot of reading on here before buying my first first EV last night. It is a 2017 Leaf SV and it is simply put, the smart decision. I don't understand why tons more people are not running out and snatching all of the things up where I live with the incentives available.
The past few years I have been driving a wonderful BMW 135i which I adore....Mostly I just drive to and from work at reasonable speeds, in traffic, on beaten up pavement and am punished for my efforts of making the car faster. I have engineered the suspension to be wonderful on a track at the limits and at high speeds, but it is utterly startling over potholes. Also, 400+ horsepower is not so awesome in stop and go traffic. It is frustrating useless. I have come to realize that I want two cars. One for commuting and one for fun.

First, congratulations, and welcome to the club!! If you like Gary Larson (Far Side): http://seiginonakama.blogspot.com/2012/08/happy-birthday-gary-lawson.html (All Right! Rusty's in the club!)

You'll have to be a bit careful though, as I used to love the high performance muscle cars of the '60s. Now, I saw a new Camaro ZL1, black with license plate BAD ZL1, it has to be incredibly fast, and I'm just thinking "I wonder how many mpg he's getting."

Another time, next to a spectacular immaculate red Corvette, side by side waiting at the light, his lane is ending about 1/3 mile up the road, so I'm ready to race :shock: We both take off and slowly increase speed, only to see the Corvette hang a right into the gas station.

Third time, two-lane country road. I see about four high-school kids up the road, and they start pointing at ME!!! I think "WOW, they're really environmentalists, there's a lot of hope for the new generation." As I'm driving I get to where they're at, and see that they don't even glance as I go by. They're pointing at the Dodge Viper coming up behind me. :lol:

4CloverLeaf said:
Awesome. And amazingly, I (also just today) moved into a new SV lease for much the same reasons. Even though I have to make the last five payments on my 2015 S, the value propo$ition was impossible to pass up. I got a brand new vehicle, a much better model and 20% more range for $75 LESS per month than I was paying for my 2015 (from $216 down to $140). My down payment and the last five payments on my 2015 was covered by CA's state rebate and I got two more years of free charging. The dealer took $8k off MSRP, Nissan had a $4k discount (I guess March is a good month) and took the $7,500 federal credit. With the state and utility rebates, I was able to bring my payment down to $129, plus tax comes to ~$140. The final bit of good news was that the residual also came to about $2,000 less than what it was for the S (.3 vs .4, probably). So, depending on various factors, I may buy this vehicle at the end of its three years. Unless of course Nissan and some dealer is offering incredible deals on the then year-o- two-old version 2.0!

Here in NY, the new rabate finally is in effect, but isn't retroactive. The last time I looked into leasing a 2017 Leaf it was $400 a month, and with a down payment as well. A 2016 SV with Premium was $317 a month, with $2k down. So the state you're in really, really matters.

I live in Colorado, which is where the $5,000 rebate comes from. The nice thing about the state's rebate is that it is fully refundable and can be transferred to dealerships. This allows dealerships to simplify take the $5,000 and reduce the price of the car up front.

Now I am trying to find an electrician to put in a 240v outlet in my home garage. I guess I will want a 30 or 40 amp circuit but I am not sure if I have the capacity. I should have pinned this down before buying the car but we will get it done one way or another. I have not decided on a Lv 2 EVSE yet. I am going to need to read up on those some more. There seem to be a lot of options which are mostly positive. Anyone have any threads bookmarked that were helpful when you were doing research? I will do some searching as well, I just figure a lot of you already know where they keep the good stuff.

Back