No charge cord with car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bjorn1349

SO I finally bought a used Leaf. Got it home last night but, there is no charge cord with the car. The dealer said it didn't come with one since it was a lease turn in. Seems unlikely to me. I'm getting a rapid charger at some point soon and I was kind of stuck since I picked the car up out of state. Had a truck/trailer rental to bring it home. I didn't notice until after all the paperwork was done and the car was loaded on the trailer.

Stupid on my part not to check for it first. I got a great deal so I'm not too upset/concerned. I just can't drive the Leaf for right now. heh. Still have my other car.

The salesman said he was going to look into it and see about getting me the trickle charger. Also, what is this part actually called?

What do you guys think about this? Is it possible the car did not come with the regular wall adapter? Or is this something I need to make sure they get to me. The car was a lease turn in from a person who worked at the Nissan factory in TN. They apparently only drove 6k miles per year and it was suggested that the car did not come with the cord as the owner probably just plugged in at work everyday.

Thanks.

Bjorn1349 said:
SO I finally bought a used Leaf. Got it home last night but, there is no charge cord with the car. The dealer said it didn't come with one since it was a lease turn in. Seems unlikely to me. I'm getting a rapid charger at some point soon and I was kind of stuck since I picked the car up out of state. Had a truck/trailer rental to bring it home. I didn't notice until after all the paperwork was done and the car was loaded on the trailer.

Um, NO!! I just bought a used 2013 Leaf (from a local Nissan dealer) and it came with a 120VAC charge cable and little plastic box on it!

BummerMan your's didn't! Now you HAVE to get one, else your Leaf will be totally useless for you! After the current charge runs out!

John Kuthe...

Funny how someone turning in a lease without the 120v EVSE would be charged the cost of it, but do we ever hear of that money being used to replace it before the car is resold?

You should be able to charge the car at a Nissan dealer or other public facilities in your area (if there are any), but obviously not a long term solution. The Leaf has such short range most people will want the ability to charge at home.

Bjorn1349 said:
SO I finally bought a used Leaf. Got it home last night but, there is no charge cord with the car.

Short list of suggestions:

To keep in the car:

http://store.evsolutions.com/turbocord-dual-240v120v-p28.aspx

or

https://store.clippercreek.com/level1/pcs-15-portable-ev-charging-station

To install in garage:

https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/level2-20-to-32?product_id=119

or

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-EV-Charger-Indoor-Outdoor-Level-2-DuraStation-Wall-Mount-with-18-ft-Cord-EVDSWGH-CP01/205808537

Enjoy your new to you car.

JohnKuthe said:
SageBrush said:
The dealership owes you an EVSE

Not if the sale was "as is", unfortunately! :-(

John Kuthe...
There is an aspect of merchantability depending on the state of residence despite an as-is window paper... I'd press for an EVSE or compensation regardless...and press harder if they balk...

JimSouCal said:
JohnKuthe said:
SageBrush said:
The dealership owes you an EVSE

Not if the sale was "as is", unfortunately! :-(

John Kuthe...
There is an aspect of merchantability depending on the state of residence despite an as-is window paper... I'd press for an EVSE or compensation regardless...and press harder if they balk...

Almost as bad as selling a car without a key to it!

I tend to agree.

John Kuthe,,,

LTLFTcomposite said:
Funny how someone turning in a lease without the 120v EVSE would be charged the cost of it, but do we ever hear of that money being used to replace it before the car is resold?

was the car purchased as a CPO or simply a "as is" used car?

DaveinOlyWA said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

was the car purchased as a CPO or simply a "as is" used car?
CPO does not matter, and 'as is' has limitations as noted above. The dealership cannot exclude basic parts of the car unless the buyer has explicitly agreed. OP should remind the dealership that the car is a brick without that part. The dealership can either come up with a replacement part or give OP ~ $550 to buy the part.

Yeah, I might be stuck. Thanks for the help fellas. Ill keep you updated. The salesman seemed bummed that he couldn't scavenge one for me on the spot. He looked in both of the other used Leafs they had and was just going to slip it in the back. No luck.

Ill wait to see what he says tomorrow. Maybe they can just get me one at cost. I would be ok with that option too. If I have to spend the $395-ish for the OEM one I'll just bite the bullet and get that TurboCord option.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

Personally before I spend >$300 on a OEM EVSE I'd look at getting one of the several 16a L1/L2 EVSEs available from ~$250 from either one of the two people on MNL who sell them or Amazon. They are Chinese made but seem to be working quite well and generally have good reviews. Note to use on 120v you'll need to purchase or make a separate outlet adapter(generally ~$30 or make one yourself for ~$15 in parts) and lastly they charge at 16a @ 120v and no way to limit it so if you have a 6.6kw Leaf charger you'll need a 20a min circuit on either 120 or 240v. The OEM Leaf charger only charges at 12a on 120v and will work on a 15a circuit, which would work on any outlet in N. America as long as no other high current draw devices are running.

I don't have a Leaf yet, but my Fiat 500e came with the EVSE stored under the cargo bay. Have to lift the floor of the cargo bay to locate the EVSE and supplied tire repair kit. Have you checked all the possible storage bins / compartments.

A word of caution whenever / if you get a 120V EVSE. Even the standard 12 amp unit needs to be on a "nearly" dedicated circuit, if it's a 15 amp circuit. I used the 12 amp EVSE that came with my Fiat, and quickly learned the the garage outlet was on the same circuit as the bathroom. If the car was charging, and my wife tried to use her hair dryer, it would trip the circuit breaker. Finally had a separate 240 Volt circuit installed for a L2 Clipper Creek unit.

CraigM said:
I don't have a Leaf yet, but my Fiat 500e came with the EVSE stored under the cargo bay. Have to lift the floor of the cargo bay to locate the EVSE and supplied tire repair kit. Have you checked all the possible storage bins / compartments.

Unless the OP's Leaf has the factory "Cargo Organizer" accessory, the only hidden compartment in the cargo area is in the left rear and is for the flat repair kit. I don't think it's big enough to hold the OEM EVSE.

On new Leafs delivered to dealers, the EVSE is in a black nylon bag secured to the right side of the cargo area:

506143.2-lg.jpg

Bjorn1349 said:
If I have to spend the $395-ish for the OEM one I'll just bite the bullet and get that TurboCord option.

EVSE Upgrade has excess stock of OEM EVSEs that have been converted to dual voltage. You just need to add a 120 volt adapter cord (or supply/make your own): http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=25

Update: As of 2 hours ago they are sending me the level 1 Evse. No charge.

I didn't even get around to calling the dealer. Just a good salesman following up like he said he would.

I did call Nissans EV line this morning to make sure I wasn't mistaken about the evse unit before calling the dealer. They hadn't even gotten to contacting them before the dealer called me.

Pretty happy overall. Id have taken an open box/used unit or even a prorated one with a small cost.

Is it ok to mention the dealer since they've been great?

Bjorn1349 said:
Update: As of 2 hours ago they are sending me the level 1 Evse. No charge.

I didn't even get around to calling the dealer. Just a good salesman following up like he said he would.

I did call Nissans EV line this morning to make sure I wasn't mistaken about the evse unit before calling the dealer. They hadn't even gotten to contacting them before the dealer called me.

Pretty happy overall. Id have taken an open box/used unit or even a prorated one with a small cost.

Is it ok to mention the dealer since they've been great?

Better than nothing! I reconnected my 150ft 3 conductor extension cord into the grounded jack in the kitchen! And two lights are solid, one blinking. I expect my morning that either all three lights to be solid or all three off!

Got a Thurs 2PM appt with an electrician to instal a 240VAC line into my garage!

John Kuthe...

Back