Considering used Nissan Leaf how long will it last?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danthecommuter

So in my area used 2014 Nissan Leafs are selling for under 8k. Combine that with cheap insurance (I would get liability only) and the gas savings this strikes me as a very cheap commuting option). I would be happy if I used this car for only my 21 mile (one way) commute, I can re-charge at work, so no real problems with range. The only question is how long will my 8k investment last, until the battery needs replacing and other major problems? I also want to know what to look for in terms of the car itself...so here are my questions:

Does battery wear depend on times charged or mileage or just age?

Have people who owned a Leaf since the beginning experienced other major problems with the car?

Is there any data about how long the battery is expected to last? (I know the warranty, but I assume it will last beyond the warranty)?

Has the battery replacement gotten cheaper over time or pretty much stayed the same?

I'm in the Suburbs of Oakland California if that helps, temepratures can get into the hundreds a few days a year, and winters can get into the 30's (and low 20's a few days a year). Car will be kept in a garage at night. But outside on hot work days

Your climate isn't good for Leaf batteries. I wouldn't buy a 24kwh Leaf expecting it to have lots of range in 5 years. A 30kwh Leaf might work, but again it will be losing substantial capacity, relatively quickly. You may want to look into leasing a Volt or Bolt, as they have battery cooling.

FWIW, the Fiat 500e also has actively temp managed (liquid cooled) battery pack, price point and range are similar to Leaf.

From what I've read, though, the Fiat isn't extremely reliable, the EV conversion isn't that well designed, and it isn't a good candidate for long-term ownership. Fiat/Chrysler will drop them like hot potatoes as soon as they legally can.

In that case, are there any used BEVs, close to the same price point as a Leaf, that are worth considering? I've not heard good things about the Chevy Spark EV either...

LeftieBiker said:
Your climate isn't good for Leaf batteries. I wouldn't buy a 24kwh Leaf expecting it to have lots of range in 5 years. A 30kwh Leaf might work, but again it will be losing substantial capacity, relatively quickly. You may want to look into leasing a Volt or Bolt, as they have battery cooling.

So all these leafs in so cal will be pretty worthless in a few years? I see tons of 13s floating around that have 11 or 12 bars that spent their entire lives in Southern California. How many bars do you think a 13+ Leaf will have after five years in a hot climate since many are almost four years old and have 11/12?

I honestly think it's anybody's guess. Probably even Nissan doesn't know for sure.

If the improved battery chemistry truly is better than the 2011/2012 model years then maybe a 12 bar 2013 Leaf today will still have 10 bars in 4 or 5 years.

Your guess is likely just as good as anyone else's...

It really depends on how hot the packs get, and for how long and how often. A garaged late build '13 that isn't parked outside on hot days might have 11 or even 12 bars in 5 years. A similar car kept like yours would be would probably have 10. An early build '13 might be down to 8 or even 7.

If you really can charge at work, then range is not an issue. I have a 52-mile round trip commute with no access to charging at work and have had no issues (although I had no reserve when the 2011 was down to 8 capacity bars before Nissan replaced the battery). AFAIK, battery replacement cost has not dropped--still $5k or so. There have been a few reports of expensive parts failing, but the cars have generally been quite reliable. You really need L2 (240-volt) charging at home to get the most use from the car. I recommend an SV or SL with 5/2013 or later build date to get the heat pump system. There is some evidence that battery degradation is higher on 2013s with build dates of 3/2013 and earlier.

Back