Increased electricity cost for charging a Nissan Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnKuthe

What are folks' increased cost for electricity for charging their Nissan Leaf?

My landlord covers and divides up the electric service cost in this shared student living house I'm living in and going to buy soon and this is the first month I've been charging my Nissan Leaf. And my landlord is trying to determine how much more monetarily I should pay for my share of the electric bill.

Thanks,

John Kuthe...

JohnKuthe said:
What are folks' increased cost for electricity for charging their Nissan Leaf?

My landlord covers and divides up the electric service cost in this shared student living house I'm living in and going to buy soon and this is the first month I've been charging my Nissan Leaf. And my landlord is trying to determine how much more monetarily I should pay for my share of the electric bill.

Thanks,

John Kuthe...

For a rough estimate, divide your total miles by your average efficiency. Lets say that you get 4 miles per Kwh. If a Kwh cost you 12 cents, then you use $0.03 per mile, or $3.00 per hundred miles of driving. In my case, we drive our leaf about 1,500 miles per month, so our electricity would cost about $45.00 per month.

In your case, substitute your mileage, electricity rate, and efficiency to calculate your approximate cost of driving your leaf.

You need to know the rate the electric company charges per kWh, as well as how many kWh of energy you consumed charging your Leaf. The former should be on your landlord's bill. For example, $0.11/kWh x 21 kWh = $2.31 would be roughly the cost of a full charge.

I think you mentioned before that you are still using the L1 EVSE that came with the Leaf, so you can't get any stats from that. If you use Leaf Spy Pro and log stats, then you can pull your kWh usage that way.

Worst case, if you know how far you drive each month (ODO/trip counter) and you know your average miles/kWh historical usage, then you can estimate the kWh energy total that ended up in the pack from charging. You could also trust that any increase in kWh usage between older billing periods and the current one is due to your Leaf charging.

Keep in mind though that, with losses, you actually used more electricity than what ended up in the battery pack. No idea how efficient L1 charging with the stock EVSE is - maybe 90%?

Unless you drive a lot, it's going to be less than $50

For example, for $50 spent @ $.011/kWh, that's 454 kWh of electricity. Assuming you average 4 miles per kWh, that would be 1,816 miles per month. Not many people drive that much...

I KNOW how to calculate my cost several ways. I'm an EE and I learned and love dimensional analysis and also used it in nursing school for drug calculations.

I was asking others what THEIR costs are/were? Calculated or measured, and specify which please.

John Kuthe...

Don't get all defensive, I have no idea what you do for a living.

As far as what others use, it completely depends on how how they drive, how aggressively they drive, how much they pay per kWh.

Don't see the point of this thread anymore, goodbye

Mine's about $30 a month. If I go off of the data on the NissanConnect EV website, then I used about 230kwh the past two months, which is about $25. That's for just about 800 miles a month.

JohnKuthe said:
I was asking others what THEIR costs are/were? Calculated or measured, and specify which please.
My costs depend on my car use and my local electricity costs. Not on your car use, or your local electricity costs.

Nurse, indeed.

SageBrush said:
JohnKuthe said:
My costs depend on my car use and my local electricity costs. Not on your car use, or your local electricity costs.

Nurse, indeed.

Well DUH! You don't say!! ;-)

I just wanna dollar amount!

John Kuthe...

JohnKuthe said:
SageBrush said:
JohnKuthe said:

Nurse, indeed.

Dimension analysis is an idea every 13 year old should be comfortable with. It means you should compare apples to apples, not apples to belt buckles -- even if they both cost money. Which is why:

miles per month have to be considered;
cost per kWh have to be considered.

Perhaps you can get your money back from whatever mail-order place you bought your diploma ?

JohnKuthe said:

If you want to know what a fair figure is to reimburse your landlord, knowing OUR costs is irrelevant. My daily range needs, my driving efficiency, and cost of electricity is not going to be identical to yours, SageBrush's, alozzy's, or anybody else's. It's like asking an ICEV driver how much they pay for fuel in order to figure out how much you should budget for that, not knowing if they drive a Prius or a bro-truck.

SageBrush said:
JohnKuthe said:
SageBrush said:

Perhaps you can get your money back from whatever mail-order place you bought your diploma ?

I'm close to retirement, I'm practicing not thinking too hard about many things.

And you'd be surprised at how many of my fellow nursing school classmates could not get it when I called it dimensional analysis! Like it was rocket science or something! And I;d just use it to whip out the drug dosage calculations, correct every time! But most of my fellow nursing school students wanted to master the ham handed way they instructed us to solve drug dosage problems.

John Kuthe...

JohnKuthe said:
SageBrush said:
JohnKuthe said:

Nurse, indeed.

John Kuthe...

In our case, we use about $45.00 per month of electricity for our Leaf, but since we have solar our total electricity bill each month is about $10 to $12 per month. So I guess you could say that we are able to drive our Leaf for free.

Graffi said:
JohnKuthe said:
SageBrush said:

Nurse, indeed.

John Kuthe...

In our case, we use about $45.00 per month of electricity for our Leaf, but since we have solar our total electricity bill each month is about $10 to $12 per month. So I guess you could say that we are able to drive our Leaf for free.

Yep, that's what I LOVE to do! If I can afford it I'd like to get the whole roof of my three car garage covered in solar panels and maybe/probably a Tesla Power Wall storage battery in the garage.

But everything in baby stages. My electrician guy is supposed to come over this AM in minutes to discuss the first big electrical job of getting a 240VAC line run to the garage and the initial wiring for three 240VAC charge points (one for each car space) and 120VAC outlets and LED lights installed in the garage too.

John Kuthe...

JohnKuthe said:
SageBrush said:
JohnKuthe said:

Nurse, indeed.

John Kuthe...

Sounds like this person put his finger in the J1772...

This is a forum where people exchange ideas mutually, and each of us do some of our own homework to benefit others also. Your posts sound like you feel justified in demanding answers to YOUR questions.. NOPE... You can't expect that members will be mind readers of your problems.

Personally, I feel annoyed when people make demanding questions like:

"Should I buy a Leaf if I have to drive XX miles from "THISTOWN" over the mountains to "THATTOWN" (with the heat on)?

Do your own homework, and ask for help from this forum when you are stumped on how you solve YOUR QUESTION. :)

I spend $15/month.

This question is easy for me since I charge almost exclusively at work. I essentially get a separate bill for just charging my Leaf. Completely divorced from the variables of home electricity use.

powersurge said:
JohnKuthe said:
SageBrush said:

Nurse, indeed.

John Kuthe...

Sounds like this person put his finger in the J1772...

This is a forum where people exchange ideas mutually, and each of us do some of our own homework to benefit others also. Your posts sound like you feel justified in demanding answers to YOUR questions.. NOPE... You can't expect that members will be mind readers of your problems.

Personally, I feel annoyed when people make demanding questions like:

"Should I buy a Leaf if I have to drive XX miles from "THISTOWN" over the mountains to "THATTOWN" (with the heat on)?

EXACTLY I want an answer to MY question. That's basic human respect!! I'm sick of many running off on tangents to assuage their own egos rather than respecting me enough to answer my very simple questions!

Do your own homework, and ask for help from this forum when you are stumped on how you solve YOUR QUESTION. :)

Then WHY does this forum exist if we all have to "Do [our] own homework"??!!

Aha!! ;-)

John Kuthe...

JohnKuthe said:
EXACTLY I want an answer to MY question. That's basic human respect!! I'm sick of many running off on tangents to assuage their own egos rather than respecting me enough to answer my very simple questions!

Considering the tone you exhibit in this thread and others, you're hardly the person to be lecturing anybody about respect.

If you want respect, you have to give respect.

RonDawg said:
JohnKuthe said:

Considering the tone you exhibit in this thread and others, you're hardly the person to be lecturing anybody about respect.

I recently discovered this, works great!

If you add a user to your foes list, any posts they make will be hidden by default.

How can I add / remove users to my Friends or Foes list?
You can add users to your list in two ways. Within each user’s profile, there is a link to add them to either your Friend or Foe list. Alternatively, from your User Control Panel, you can directly add users by entering their member name. You may also remove users from your list using the same page.

RonDawg said:
JohnKuthe said:

YES SIR!

And few do when feeling safe behind their little glowing screens! I've been on the Internet since before there even existed yet a WWW and one of the first lessons I learned about the Internet is that unless you piss people off you tend to be ignored! Sick sad and TRUE!!

Thus *I* always sign my posts with my REAL LEGAL NAME!! Another contributing factor to rudeness on the Internet is made up fake UIDs (User IDs) such as "RonDawg" first popularized when Steve Case starting mailing a free AOL CD to everything with a pulse! It was when I SAW the damage that caused to the Internet that I decided to post with my real name.

John Kuthe...

Back