Blue indicator lights flash three times and three beeps...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slavito

When I press the charger door unlock button in my 13 Leaf. The L2 charging won't work, but it does charge at a DC charger. What could be the issue?

The car normally beeps when you unlock the charging port door, although I'm not sure how many times. There is a known issue with the onboard charger (a failed diode, IIRC) that sounds like what you are experiencing: DC fast chargers bypass the onboard charger, so problems with that don't necessarily prevent fast charging. The onboard charger is part of the EV drive system, and should still be under warranty.

Could it be that a timer is set for a time that wouldn't normally charge? I believe L3 or QC bypasses the timer.

A charge prevented by a timer being set produces a sequential pattern of flashing lights that I call the "charge timer dance." They flash one by one instead of all at once. They flash a lot more than 3 times, though, which is why I assumed that this wasn't what was happening here.

This, from the owner's manual:

When the normal charge connector is connected incorrectly, all of the indicator lights, 1 to 3 , will flash and beep will sound three times within 30 seconds when the charge connector is connected incorrectly to the normal charge port.

So, the car seems to think that the EVSE hasn't been connected properly. Check the physical L1/L2 charge port for any debris or damage.

Have you already tried charging with a few different EVSEs, to confirm that this happens consistently?

LeftieBiker said:
A charge prevented by a timer being set produces a sequential pattern of flashing lights that I call the "charge timer dance." They flash one by one instead of all at once. They flash a lot more than 3 times, though, which is why I assumed that this wasn't what was happening here.
Correct. If all 3 lights flashing at the same synchronized with beep beep beep (somewhat rapidly) which may repeat a bunch of times, that happens usually can happen if the handle isn't fully mated w/the car's inlet.

The looks totally different than the 3 lights in sequentially indicating charging is being delayed/postponed due to a timer.

But the lights flash/beep before I even insert the charger. They light up at the moment I either press the charger door unlock button inside the car or the one on the remote.

That's totally normal, does the same on my Leaf. AFTER you unlock the charging door, what happens when you plug in the EVSE?

If you get the three blue lights alternately blinking (one at a time in sequence), then you've got a timer setup. If so, just press the timer override button to start charging immediately.

2013_Leaf_Timer_Override.png

alozzy said:
More information here:

https://youtu.be/rwFfI0kU9C4

Also in the owner's manual...
FWIW, unless they changed something after the 2013 model years, the timer sequence in the video at 0:49 is wrong. There's never more than 1 lit light at a time. It's 1 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off, 3 on, 3 off, etc.

I've honestly never paid attention what the lights do after a timer is set, not sure why they bothered to mentioned that but failed to explain what the lights do when you plug in an EVSE when the timer is active - that would have been more useful.

Thanks for catching that change in behavior of the lights :)

Just tried a differenr EVSE and it's charging fine. Looks like it was an issue with the other one (a Chargepoint L2). Thanks a ton guys! Great to know this community is so responsive.

Glad you solved the mystery :)

If nothing else, a future newbie, who is confused when the car won't charge and the blue status lights are blinking sequentially, might find this post and learn what to do to get the car to immediately charge (ie press the timer override button) :D

If nothing else, a future newbie, who is confused when the car won't charge and the blue status lights are blinking sequentially, might find this post and learn what to do to get the car to immediately charge (ie press the timer override button)

This issue comes up regularly. There are probably several topics on just that.

What is the brand of the EVSE that worked?

Slavito said:
Just tried a differenr EVSE and it's charging fine. Looks like it was an issue with the other one (a Chargepoint L2). Thanks a ton guys! Great to know this community is so responsive.

Good question. The answer is... I have no idea. It was at a Nissan dealership, not a Chargepoint location. Although i am charging at a Chargepoint now and it works as well.

Back