Can a 2013 SV with 15,000 miles still have 12 bars?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByeFO

A dealer sent a photo of a 2013 Leaf's instrument panel and the capacity bars - the short ones on the far right - are 12 in number. The car has almost 15,000 miles. Is it possible for the car to still have 12 bars? I don't have Leaf Spy yet.

Thanks!

I am in Texas, my car, 2013S, had 12 bars until 18000 miles & 4 years old. So it can easily have 12 bars.

LeafSpy still shows SOH as 85%, but it went to 84% more than a month at around 18K miles so I lost the bar.

I have been very careful about not parking the car under the sun for the last two years though.

My 2013 is at 26500 miles and still has 12 bars.

(although I suspect it will lose one within a year based upon an AHr of 58.60 reported by LeafSpyPro)

Looks like you are in Phili, so climate wise it's definitely not as hot in summer as Texas, Georgia, etc.

A 12 bar Leaf with that mileage seems reasonable. Do yourself a favor though and confirm everything with Leaf Spy. If the SOH is >95% then be suspicious of a BMS reset.

Thanks!

I am ordering a LeLink: LELink Bluetooth Low Energy BLE OBD-II OBD2 Car Diagnostic Tool For iPhone/iPod/iPad
LELink Bluetooth Low Energy BLE OBD-II OBD2 Car Diagnostic Tool For iPhone/iPod/iPad

What is SOH? A measure of remaining capacity?

SOH is a measure of internal resistance that happens to correlate exactly with remaining capacity. So a SOH of 90% means 90% remaining capacity. (Hx measures the same thing, but it's more like a snapshot of the moment, and SOH is more like an average over a longer period.) My 2013 SV has 16.6k miles on it, BTW, and still has 12 bars, although that may change this Summer.

2013 SL, 12 bars and 31,707 miles.
Think I'm at 89% SOH and 58.85AHr

Drive a 50 mile round trip commute all week with it. Hoping it lasts me at least 4 years and keeps my commute in range. Charging at work may be available within a year, so that will certainly help.

@jlv, You state you're at 58.60AHr. I recall reading that the first bar loss occurs at 54AHr-55.5AHr. Do you really expect to lost that much capacity within a year?

Has anyone graphed the average loss over the years? Is it even close to linear based on consistent use and conditions?

Just today I sat in a co-worker's 2013 S with 46000 miles and 12 bars. A full charge said 21.2kWh and it was at 62.5AHr. I was quite amazed it was in such good shape compared to mine. I didn't get his build date, but his is about 6 months older then mine (built 12/13). We both keep it in a garage at home and under a parking garage here at work. We both only trickle charge at home, and use the same EVSEs here are work. We have comparable L1/L2s counts -- mine is 1200 and his is 1500.

The big difference is QCs: I have 60+ and he had only 3.

hackdroot said:
@jlv, You state you're at 58.60AHr. I recall reading that the first bar loss occurs at 54AHr-55.5AHr. Do you really expect to lost that much capacity within a year?
I thought the first bar loss was at 56.5, which is why I thought I was much closer. But I'm mentally prepared to lose that bar!

My Leaf was a 08/13 build, purchased 9/6/13 on the morning it was delivered. We lost our first bar a couple of weeks ago at 49,600 miles. I was looking forward to reaching 50,000 miles with all 12 bars and original tires, but the bars were not to be. We plan to get new tires sometime after Memorial day, at least the two front tires. The back tires have another 5,000 to 10,000 miles left on them.

We are still able to get almost 60 miles on 80% charge, and almost 80 miles on 100%.

The 12th bar is dropped at ~ 84% of new capacity. My 3 year old car has 95% of new capacity left but that is unusual.

Back