Looking at 2013 SL with 22K miles - but 200mi away

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByeFO

This car: https://www.carmax.com/car/14484193 is located along the Route 95 corridor about 200 miles from me.

I'm thinking if it has a quick charge package that I could probably find a way to get it home with maybe 3 quick charges - there has to be some of those along a major highway like 95, right?

Otherwise, maybe I could save me the trouble and hire a company to move it.

BTW, I asked for photos of capacity bars and sticker with date of manufacture.

Thanks!

look at www.plugshare.com or www.chargepoint.com to see the charging opportunities. a coworker of mine made a 200 mile trip to buy his car and he did three 3 hour charges at 6kw charging stations, so it ended up being a full day trip :)

the SL model has DC fast charge standard, most Nissan dealerships have fast chargers so if you can ping between those then you'll be set. i wouldn't buy without scanning the car with LeafSpy and confirming >90% battery though.

Marko

Good news:
Originally from and it's spent it's life in the Pacific NW(WA).
About 1 year left on battery capacity warranty, 4 years warranty on total battery failure.
Very low mileage.

Bad news:
No more 3yr 36k mile warranty.
Old '13(mfg. March) so it will have the old battery chemistry(more prone to premature failure), changed after March '13.
You'd be the 3rd owner, may be OK but most Leafs are generally 1 owner Leases.

I tried looking up your window sticker with the VIN but was unsuccessful. If it's a SL it will have the faster L2 charging and a QC port, they were standard for the SL in '13.
I paid a shade under $9k for a '13SL a few months ago but it had 30k miles and was from a private party. $11.6k seems a bit high but it totally depends on your market, I've seen higher priced ones as well. In fact shortly after they seemed to jump up a grand or more in my market.

I'm also looking at a 2014 SV with 20K miles. It was owned in Georgia (it could be worse). The vehicle history report also states date of a manufacture only as "2013". Is it safe to say that at a 2014 model year Leaf was manufactured April 2013 or later?

Yes a '14 will definitely have a built date after April '13. My '13S was mfgd. Nov. '13.

I got the dealer to check the date of manufacture of the Pacific NW-owned 2013 Leaf SL and it was manufactured on 3/27/13. Oh well.

The 2014 SV that was owned in Georgia is in my sites now. From what I have gathered from other posts on this site, I need this vehicle to have 90% SOH.

I have the "LELink Bluetooth Low Energy BLE OBD-II OBD2 Car Diagnostic Tool For iPhone/iPod/iPad " and I will download Leafspy Pro/Premium later today and read up on how to use it.

I've seen on other posts that the car should still have the "SD card". Is this something I can see if it has it? My VW had an SD card slot on the dash for the NAV, but there was no need for a card to be inserted unless there was an update.

The car should come with the charging cable (not sure if that is correct terminology) and hopefully two key/fobs.

Is there anything else the dealer should have for this car?

Thanks!

ByeFO said:
I got the dealer to check the date of manufacture of the Pacific NW-owned 2013 Leaf SL and it was manufactured on 3/27/13. Oh well.

The 2014 SV that was owned in Georgia is in my sites now. From what I have gathered from other posts on this site, I need this vehicle to have 90% SOH.

I have the "LELink Bluetooth Low Energy BLE OBD-II OBD2 Car Diagnostic Tool For iPhone/iPod/iPad " and I will download Leafspy Pro/Premium later today and read up on how to use it.

I've seen on other posts that the car should still have the "SD card". Is this something I can see if it has it? My VW had an SD card slot on the dash for the NAV, but there was no need for a card to be inserted unless there was an update.

The car should come with the charging cable (not sure if that is correct terminology) and hopefully two key/fobs.

Is there anything else the dealer should have for this car?

Thanks!
I personally wouldn't get hung up on the 90% thing, upper 80s should also be OK, unless you plan on regularly needing to go close to 70 miles without a recharge. You can see if it has the SD card by ejecting the CD, it's under the front of the screen. Yes 2 FOBs(or plan on paying up to $200 yourself) and a 120v EVSE should come with the car.

I found this: https://www.carvana.com/search/2000040427/2013-nissan-leaf-sv

I could get a car like it for about $1000 less, but that car (also a FL car) is located in CT about 150mi away from me. By the time I factor in my time and the cost of having it hauled back, this car delivered locally to me wins.

The price is OK for my area and Carvana offers a 7 day return policy. I think they give you an hour with the car at delivery in case you change your mind then, so enough time to run Leaf Spy to make sure it is at least in upper 80s% SOH. (I tried to get them to send a photo of the capacity bars but they "don't have time to take extra photos"). Maybe they will take the photo if it appears I am purchasing it - or maybe they would rather take the risk of me declining it at delivery, who knows.

Thanks!

ByeFO said:
I found this: https://www.carvana.com/search/2000040427/2013-nissan-leaf-sv

I could get a car like it for about $1000 less, but that car (also a FL car) is located in CT about 150mi away from me. By the time I factor in my time and the cost of having it hauled back, this car delivered locally to me wins.

The price is OK for my area and Carvana offers a 7 day return policy. I think they give you an hour with the car at delivery in case you change your mind then, so enough time to run Leaf Spy to make sure it is at least in upper 80s% SOH. (I tried to get them to send a photo of the capacity bars but they "don't have time to take extra photos"). Maybe they will take the photo if it appears I am purchasing it - or maybe they would rather take the risk of me declining it at delivery, who knows.

Thanks!

Carfax states the manufacture date is 4/17/2013 - I think this means it has the new battery chemistry. Correct?

Does anyone know if these Carfax manufacture dates are ever wrong compared with door sticker?

I was hoping for red, blue, black, or grey. I guess I can learn to love white

Thanks!

Sounds like you made a decision, congratulations!

FYI, here's the original sticker for that vehicle:

http://cpo.nissanusa.com/nna/?1N4AZ0CP4DC407834

AFAIK, Nissan has never admitted a chemistry change was made in April of 2013, that's based on feedback from owners of an apparent dividing line between batteries with accelerated degradation and those with "normal" degradation.

As far as the manufacture date, Carfax probably has it right but only the door pillar info would be definitive.

AFAIK, Nissan has never admitted a chemistry change was made in April of 2013, that's based on feedback from owners of an apparent dividing line between batteries with accelerated degradation and those with "normal" degradation.

It's based as much on auction information as on owner feedback. If it was manufactured 4/13 then it should have the newer chemistry. We have yet to see an April build with excessive capacity loss.

Back