What is normal rate of self-discharge?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckMkII

My "new" 2013 Leaf sat overnight in my driveway for 12 hours. LeafSpy says SOC went from 63.4% to 62.9%. Is that the typical rate for running the things that are on when the car is "off?"

Do you have the OBD2 dongle connected all the time? That will definitely draw some power.

0.5% of 20kWh is only 100w, not much. Never noticed that before on my Leaf, but I honestly ignore SOC most of the time.

Possibly just the DC to DC converter topping up the 12V battery?

Normal self discharge is almost zero. I suspect the slight difference you saw between night and morning is the lithium battery controller (LBC also called battery management system or BMS) recalculating the SOC due to temperature change while parked.

I didn't record the battery temps but difference between the outside air temp between when I got home (after about a 3 mile drive, a ten minute stop and a 4 mile drive on 25-30 mph streets) and when I went out in the morning was probably 7 °F.

ambient temperature matters on the 2013 leaf. When I had it during the winter (40 F in the mornings @ 7am, over 50 F by 10am), my SOC would rise by almost 3% just from the change in temp! So I would guess that the reverse might also apply if temp drops significantly enough from one test period to another.

2nd data point. I left my leaf unplugged @~50% on a long weekend trip - 4days. When I came back, the SOC was still ~50%. So yeah, there should be zero self-discharge.

Back