Getting a Leaf for Cyprus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjo

I live in Cyprus (Europe) and are interested to get a Leaf. It is really hot here over the summers, and we usually leave for northern Europe for a few months.
Code:
Avg. Temperature Farenheit
Jan	Feb	Mar	Apr	May  Jun  Jul	Aug	Sep	Oct	Nov	Dec	
54	 54	 58	 63	 71	78	 83	 83	 80	 73	 64	 57

July Aug high 92

The government does not subsidise EVs yet, but at least the Electric company EAC installed 15 charge stations around the island.
The charging stations are using Mode 3 charging, 21kW (3-Ph), with two-way communication between the vehicle and the charging station throughout the duration of the charging period. There are two (2) Type 2 sockets in each charging station in accordance with the international standards and recommendations of the European Commission and Eurelectric.
November 2016 there where 48! registered electric cars in Cyprus, 38 of which are new models out of 475,000 passenger cars (Eurostat, 2013).

Current price for electricity is 15,96 euro cent / kWh

I have seen a few Japan imported 2012 models, prices around EUR10k.
I looked at one last week, with 9 bars on capacity meter... Owner claimed battery was like new and 140 km was no problem to drive...
He also claimed recharge only cost one euro...
Why do sellers need to lie?

Anyhow, I now look into importing a 2016 30 kWh model from Japan. Import taxed are 0 on non-emission cars so only 19% VAT
should be added for registration here. Total cost should be around 15000 eur.

I drive my girl to school every day. That is a total of 60-70 km. Nicosia (capital) is 100 km one way. Ocasional I want to go cross island, 200 km.

Any suggestions?

My only suggestion is to not use the Level 3 charging unless absolutely necessary. The heat will be enough of an issue as it is. Hopefully you will bring the car with you when you escape the hottest weather? ;-)

Bringing the car with us for July August is not possible. Air cargo is way to expensive and there are no ferry boats available.
So I need to store the car over the hottest months.

I understand Nissan make the Leaf in Japan, UK and US. Are there any differences in the battery chemistry based on production plant?

Be careful about buying an ex-JDM car. The menus are only in Japanese and cannot be reset to another language. Also, your local Nissan dealer may not cooperate about parts and service if it's not a car officially sold for Europe; folks in New Zealand found out the hard way.

If I recall correctly Cyprus is a RHD country? If so you'll want an ex-UK or ex-Ireland car. Ex-UK is OK to have as you can change the instrument panel over to metric with just a few button pushes.

Back