Newbie Question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oscberke

I just bought 2013 Nissan Leaf with only 8K miles and what looks like zero battery degridation, but I will know more after I get leafpy hooked up next week. In the mean time, wondering about carwings, I know 2G is now dead, is there a way to tell if the previous owner had the 3G TCU upgrade done on this car?

First of all, are you sure it's not an S (S's don't have TCU's.)

But other than that, all I can say is if you try to set it up and then can't get it to work then either you don't have a 3G TCU or you don't have AT&T coverage where you are at.

Since yours had a previous owner then you're going to have to submit proof of purchase to Nissan in order to get the codes to get it to work. I'd imagine there's a possibility in their communication they might tell you that it's not upgraded. But that's just a wild guess.

Just got a 2014 SV a week and a half ago! I'm so happy! I just spoke with a very nice lady from Nissan and she walked me through the process of changing ownership to me (I just needed to email her verification of insurance with my name and the VIN on it). She was able to tell me if my TCU was upgraded when I gave her the TCU ID located in carwings settings (dang mine is still 2g... Oh well what's 200 more ;) ). I'm excited to see where my degradation is once I get my dohicky on Saturday. Anywho, hope this helps.

The 2G to 3G upgrade has been problematic for quite a few people. Unless you really need it, you may want to hold off a while on that, until the bugs are worked out.

LeftieBiker said:
The 2G to 3G upgrade has been problematic for quite a few people. Unless you really need it, you may want to hold off a while on that, until the bugs are worked out.
I concur. (raising hand)

Once Nissan got it working via a master reset via their backend, it eventually seems to intermittently not work, often accompanied by a ! yellow car warning light accompanied by a DTC P3131. I usually clear the DTC (just to see if it comes back later) and then eventually, it starts working again for awhile until these probs come back. I haven't had a chance to update my status in one of those threads but I've been taking notes and will post a summary as I got thru more cycles of these.

This was NEVER a problem when the I had the working 2G TCU on my former leased Leaf for 2 years and on my current used '13 Leaf SV (built 5/2013) that I had since July 2015. This also wasn't a problem when AT&T shutdown its 2G network in early Jan 2017, rendering the 2G TCU useless.

I paid the $199 and it didn't work (couldn't sign in, would fail with error (B02). Had to call Nissan EV support, return to the dealer, call Nissan EV support again, etc. When it started partially working, around 4/28/17 is when I first started getting the yellow ! car and DTC P3131 (see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=493278#p493278).

I really hope Nissan figures this out and issues a TSB w/a fix.

I was going to get it, but I waited until Spring for my annual service/inspection, and by then it was clear that, especially with my luck, it wouldn't be wise...

Back