Darryl
Delivery Date: 12 Mar 2015

Re: Just got leaf spy, I have a question

Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:25 am

Philipr144 wrote:I noticed at low SOC the battery gets hot. Is that normal?

Yes, that is normal the battery is working harder to produce power.

Have you recently purchased this Leaf? If your SOH is 76% and your car just dropped the second bar, I would think your car had a BMS reset before you bought it. It takes it a while for the display to show the proper health bars on the dash, but Leafspy tells the truth.

I purchased a 2012 model that had the BMS reset and in the first few months I lost two bars. It was a while before I found Leafspy and started using it.

My 2012 had/has a cell that was considerably lower than the rest. Leaf Spy runs a battery test when the cell voltages are very low and the car is placed in park. It would show cell # 24 bad often and months later show three cells bad. However with quick charging and some hard use mine actually got better. I haven't seen a bad cell in quite a while.
2012 Nissan Leaf SL w 54500 miles. Lost four bars.

Philipr144
Delivery Date: 05 Jul 2017

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:32 pm

Darryl wrote:
Philipr144 wrote:I noticed at low SOC the battery gets hot. Is that normal?

Yes, that is normal the battery is working harder to produce power.

Have you recently purchased this Leaf? If your SOH is 76% and your car just dropped the second bar, I would think your car had a BMS reset before you bought it. It takes it a while for the display to show the proper health bars on the dash, but Leafspy tells the truth.

I purchased a 2012 model that had the BMS reset and in the first few months I lost two bars. It was a while before I found Leafspy and started using it.

My 2012 had/has a cell that was considerably lower than the rest. Leaf Spy runs a battery test when the cell voltages are very low and the car is placed in park. It would show cell # 24 bad often and months later show three cells bad. However with quick charging and some hard use mine actually got better. I haven't seen a bad cell in quite a while.

It's funny you mention that. I did a quick charge from empty to 100% last night and got about another kWh out of the battery.
Yes I recently purchased it and I think your right. I'm close to losing my third bar from what leaf spy says (if I understand it correctly) yet when I got the car it had 11 bars. Seemed to me like some thing fishy was going on.
I ran the car low and looked for something on leaf spy to do the test and couldn't find it. I was at low battery warning but just barely. GoM said 8 miles to empty.

After installing leafspy I suspect foul play with this dealership. It's one of those in house financing gigs. I still don't have plates and it's been 4 months. So you can imagine.. at this point I can't do any thing about it but drive it and hope for the best.

Battery stats say 50ah but it only charged to about 45ah. I think it's the bms playing catch up from a reset. As a consumer I don't think I can do to much about it. But if any one has advise let me know!
2011 Leaf 76% SOH 212Gids 50ah 66.3k miles 10 bar

Darryl
Delivery Date: 12 Mar 2015

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:53 am

Philipr144 wrote:I ran the car low and looked for something on leaf spy to do the test and couldn't find it. I was at low battery warning but just barely. GoM said 8 miles to empty.

It happens automatically (at least with LeafSpy on iOS) but the voltage needs to be much lower. Slightly below VLBW. Seems like when the voltage is below 3.7 per cell and the car must be in Park.

If you read in the forums it seems Nissan is beginning to help some owners with a partial payment on battery replacement. But if it is meeting your daily needs. I would just drive it. Our battery is now down to 64%.
2012 Nissan Leaf SL w 54500 miles. Lost four bars.

Philipr144
Delivery Date: 05 Jul 2017

Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:58 pm

I finally checked the cells with leafspy. It said all cells ok. I had about 70mv difference in leafspy while at lbw. I am looking into possibly getting a new battery through a campaign with Nissan. I'm awaiting a phone call from Nissan of Visalia to verify what Nissan hq told me. Hopefully it goes through. New battery would be nice.
2011 Leaf 76% SOH 212Gids 50ah 66.3k miles 10 bar

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”