plugzin
Delivery Date: 07 Mar 2014
Leaf Number: 0826

Re: Free battery replacement coupon??

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:18 pm

Just got turned down for a possible subsidized battery replacement (2011 Leaf with about 33,000 miles, and eight bars), because the previous owner opted out of the class action back when he owned the car. Found this out after paying for the mandatory " battery check" at the dealer. So if you have thoughts about going for this with a car that has had a previous owner, ask Nissan to check for that before going to the dealer for that check, it might save you time, money, and disappointment. Well, maybe not disappointment...
2014 Mercedes B class 12/2014 to ?
2016 Tesla Model S 90D 12/2016 to ?
2014 Leaf SL 3/2014 - 3/2017
2011 Leaf SL 2/2014 - ?
2002 RAV4 EV 3/2002 - 6/2009
1986 Mercedes 300E 1986 - 2017

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:03 am

Philipr144 wrote:My pack is not severely degraded like other people's so it's not a pressing issue. But if some one wants to give me a free battery I'm going to take It! Lol. I just was worried that the rep misunderstood and was telling me about the 5 year 60k warranty. I'm going to look into it with this dealer or the next. I mean if I get s 5.5k battery for free it would be worth traveling to Visalia (which I think I might be able to make with 2 quick charges.) And seeing if I get any more help there. I'm going to take a look at those links and see if any thing looks familiar. I tried to search this forum for something similar and the terms battery coupon were used ALOT! Lol. I was just hoping some one had insight to this but I will keep you posted on my progress. Let's hope it's cut and dry like the rep said.

It would make no sense for Nissan to take out a "still good" battery and give you a new one just because someone said you had a "ticket" for one.. I think that the free money/ battery lottery bug has bitten you....

Philipr144
Delivery Date: 05 Jul 2017

Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:51 pm

powersurge wrote:
Philipr144 wrote:My pack is not severely degraded like other people's so it's not a pressing issue. But if some one wants to give me a free battery I'm going to take It! Lol. I just was worried that the rep misunderstood and was telling me about the 5 year 60k warranty. I'm going to look into it with this dealer or the next. I mean if I get s 5.5k battery for free it would be worth traveling to Visalia (which I think I might be able to make with 2 quick charges.) And seeing if I get any more help there. I'm going to take a look at those links and see if any thing looks familiar. I tried to search this forum for something similar and the terms battery coupon were used ALOT! Lol. I was just hoping some one had insight to this but I will keep you posted on my progress. Let's hope it's cut and dry like the rep said.

It would make no sense for Nissan to take out a "still good" battery and give you a new one just because someone said you had a "ticket" for one.. I think that the free money/ battery lottery bug has bitten you....

Fortunately that some one is Nissan themselves so if they are willing to do it im willing to take it. As for it still being good Im at 10 bars close to losing another one, thats hardly a good battery. We will just have to see how it plays out.
2011 Leaf 76% SOH 212Gids 50ah 66.3k miles 10 bar

abasile
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2011

Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:45 pm

Philipr144 wrote:Fortunately that some one is Nissan themselves so if they are willing to do it im willing to take it. As for it still being good Im at 10 bars close to losing another one, thats hardly a good battery. We will just have to see how it plays out.

Given what you heard from Nissan corporate, it's certainly worth a try! Our 2011 LEAF recently dropped to 9 capacity bars, so if this works out for you, I'll definitely be contacting our local dealer. While we live in a relatively cool mountain climate, the valley below us where we bought the LEAF gets quite hot, and using our LEAF down there was a big factor in losing the first two capacity bars.

In any case, it shouldn't matter where in the US the car was sold. People move around. The fact is that Nissan sold us lousy batteries. If they can make it right by replacing degraded batteries like ours, that'd be appreciated. That'd allow us to get more use out of our LEAF, for sure.
2011 LEAF at 69K miles, pre-owned 2012 Tesla S 85 at 89K miles
LEAF battery: 9/12 bars and < 49 Ah (-28% vs. new)
Tesla battery: 250+ miles of range (-5% vs. new)

Philipr144
Delivery Date: 05 Jul 2017

Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:01 am

abasile wrote:
Philipr144 wrote:Fortunately that some one is Nissan themselves so if they are willing to do it im willing to take it. As for it still being good Im at 10 bars close to losing another one, thats hardly a good battery. We will just have to see how it plays out.

Given what you heard from Nissan corporate, it's certainly worth a try! Our 2011 LEAF recently dropped to 9 capacity bars, so if this works out for you, I'll definitely be contacting our local dealer. While we live in a relatively cool mountain climate, the valley below us where we bought the LEAF gets quite hot, and using our LEAF down there was a big factor in losing the first two capacity bars.

In any case, it shouldn't matter where in the US the car was sold. People move around. The fact is that Nissan sold us lousy batteries. If they can make it right by replacing degraded batteries like ours, that'd be appreciated. That'd allow us to get more use out of our LEAF, for sure.

For the last few months my battery has sat at 100 degrees plus, even at night. I wonder how soon i will see degradation from this hot summer. Its not uncommon for it to be at 115 degrees while driving.
2011 Leaf 76% SOH 212Gids 50ah 66.3k miles 10 bar

tattoogunman
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2016

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:23 pm

I've been lurking on here off and on again for a while and I still don't understand the whole battery replacement thing. I've come close to picking up two used Leafs in two separate instances. One was already down to 9 bars and when I called Nissan, they said it would be replaced with no questions asked. However, everyone on here said that was bull and that it wouldn't happen, even though Nissan themselves told me. The second one I looked at was newer and had no issues, but I opted to pass due to this apparent ongoing issue. It's not worth it to buy a $6000 car with a bad battery and then have to turn around and drop another six grand in it right away for a new battery (depending on what the price is of the car[s] you are looking at).

I'm going to keep sitting on the EV fence to see how the tech evolves and how the various companies out there handle this. The new Leaf looks pretty good from what I saw, but I would definitely wait a year or two to see what issues crop op. I'm also looking at the Bolt and i3, but I'm also being patient on those.

davewill

Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:05 pm

Could this have been one of those situations where the first replacement was done before the new chem was available? I recall talk of those folks getting "coupons" for the lizard battery.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:32 pm

davewill wrote:Could this have been one of those situations where the first replacement was done before the new chem was available? I recall talk of those folks getting "coupons" for the lizard battery.

I pointed to the coupons at viewtopic.php?p=499828#p499828.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:44 am

Yeah, that was brought up and discussed at the meeting in Phoenix that I attended some years ago. However, it never actually happened.

davewill wrote:Could this have been one of those situations where the first replacement was done before the new chem was available? I recall talk of those folks getting "coupons" for the lizard battery.
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Now driving a 2017 Volt Premier. Model 3 reserved.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”