New member looking for a Leaf soon.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobScott

I am selling my Miata and will use the proceeds to buy either a Leaf or a BMW i3. Right now I'm leaning towards the Leaf based on price and my wife preferring it over the i3.

This looks like a great site. I look forward to participating.

Bob

They are 2 quite different cars, the i3 and the Leaf. The i3, if it has the range extender, does give you a bit of a safety net, the Leaf not so much, other than if you figure in the 30 minute L3 recharges on such equipped Leafs. If your trips are between 40 and say 70 miles max for the 24kwh Leaf the Leaf should work for you, I know very little of the i3, well other than IMO it was quite uncomfortable and crammed for my frame. I also couldn't stand the clamshell rear doors, having to first open the front doors to open the rear, basically a deal killer for me.
It does sound like the i3 is more of a performance designed car than the rather more utilitarian Leaf, but it all depends on what you want out of a car. Something like the Bolt also sounds more performance designed but IMO it's also somewhat uncomfortable and cramped not to mention possibly more expensive than the Leaf or i3, although it does have several times the range(~240 miles). I also think the Bolt is a bit on the utilitarian(plasticity) design(more so than the Leaf) but it's probably a personal thing.
Good luck on your quest, depending on the area you live you might also have other choices.

The new 2018 Leaf is due in the next few months, so if you are planning to buy new, can live with its 107 mile or so EPA tested range with a considerable cushion, and don't mind the looks, you can probably get a smoking deal as Nissan wants to clear them out in time for the new car's arrival.

If you are planning to lease however, or that 107 mile range is dangerously close to your normal needs, I would hold off for the 2018.

If you're willing to buy used, and your range requirements are modest, you can get a great deal on an older car especially if the battery has degraded.

RonDawg said:
The new 2018 Leaf is due in the next few months, so if you are planning to buy new, can live with its 107 mile or so EPA tested range with a considerable cushion, and don't mind the looks, you can probably get a smoking deal as Nissan wants to clear them out in time for the new car's arrival.

If you are planning to lease however, or that 107 mile range is dangerously close to your normal needs, I would hold off for the 2018.

If you're willing to buy used, and your range requirements are modest, you can get a great deal on an older car especially if the battery has degraded.

Me personally, I would not buy a degraded car - what would be the point? The car would be cheaper, but then you are going to have to pay to replace the battery at over five grand. There are quite a few in my area for sale right now for around $6000, but they've already lost three or four bars, it's not worth it when you can a newer used Leaf, many with the remaining warranty, for $12K - $15K or so (at least in my area).

It's also worth mentioning that there are some $10,000 incentives right being offered by EV Go and other places towards a 2017 Leaf, worth looking at if the OP is in one of the participating areas. I would just wait until the 2018 models come out and then cross shop them with the other cars.

Back