laurench

Re: Newbie with the "should I buy this Leaf?" question

Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:10 pm

RonDawg wrote:
laurench wrote:
RonDawg wrote:3. Depending on how degraded the battery is, your mileage needs are so low that you could go for a few more years before needing a replacement battery. However if you plan on paying $9500 in a year or so, you're better off getting a much newer car.

3) I threw out the year timeline because I'm still trying to figure out how long the capacity of that 8 bar battery might last. I wouldn't replace it until I absolutely needed to (a trend with me, apparently... see my 99 Civic.).

There's an owner here (TaylorGuySF) who has a severely degraded 2011 Leaf. Last I checked he was down to 5/12 bars, perhaps down to 4 now. He lives in the Puget Sound area but the reason for the degraded battery condition is because he puts LOTS of miles on his car; he was one of the first, if not THE first, to rack up 100k miles on a Leaf, a feat when the battery can only take you 80 or so miles at a charge.

In LA you'll get faster degradation but if you look at my sig line, it took me not quite 3 years to lose the first bar. Subsequent bars will drop off faster as the first bar is worth 15% and the rest 6.25%. I'm in the Pasadena area for reference (since LA has such a varied climate depending on where you are).

That is an impressive feat!

I live in Culver, and work in Mar Vista and Echo Park. So pretty temperate on the westside, but in Echo Park's heat once a week.

laurench

Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:11 pm

LeftieBiker wrote: It would also need an outlet with either a brand new plug unit or one in excellent shape - no wear.

OOOOHhhhhh. Then that definitely counts out the outlets in my apartment. It's an old building, one where cords pulled in the walls can often just fall out if you look at them funny.

laurench

Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:13 pm

Nubo wrote:It's not pining, it's passed on.
This battery is no more.
It has ceased to be.
It's expired and gone to meet its maker! This is a late battery.
It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace!
If you hadn't nailed it to the LEAF, it would be pushing up the daisies.
It's rung down the curtain and joined the Choir Invisible.
This is an EX-battery!. :lol:

I read this like I was trying to decipher a riddle.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:50 pm

laurench wrote:
Nubo wrote:It's not pining, it's passed on.
This battery is no more.
It has ceased to be.
It's expired and gone to meet its maker! This is a late battery.
It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace!
If you hadn't nailed it to the LEAF, it would be pushing up the daisies.
It's rung down the curtain and joined the Choir Invisible.
This is an EX-battery!. :lol:

I read this like I was trying to decipher a riddle.

Just a little humor; look up Monty Python and "The pet shop".

But to be serious, an 8-bar pack is below 70% capacity, which is generally viewed to be the end of service life for a rechargeable lithium ion battery. You might be able to squeeze more use out of it, but the degradation will accelerate.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:41 pm

laurench wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote: It would also need an outlet with either a brand new plug unit or one in excellent shape - no wear.

OOOOHhhhhh. Then that definitely counts out the outlets in my apartment. It's an old building, one where cords pulled in the walls can often just fall out if you look at them funny.

People need to stop thinking of EVs as large cell phones, and regard charging them as force-feeding vast amounts of dangerous electricity into a very large battery. It requires, at the minimum, a 15 amp circuit, in very good condition, with no other loads on it beyond a couple of light bulbs and an alarm clock, and an outlet in near-new condition.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Reddy
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 006828

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:28 pm

laurench wrote:

FULL STOP! Do NOT try to 120V-L1 charge in this situation. I don't care if you have written approval or not. I have used L1 for nearly six years, including a few times with an extension cord in the winter when I couldn't get up my iced driveway. However, I replaced the receptacle and mount the EVSE cord so that no extra weight hangs on the receptacle.
Reddy
2011 SL; 9 bar, 46.44 AHr; 40,067 mi; rcv'd Aug 18, 2011
Long: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... al#p226115"
Cold: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p243033"

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”