Florida Power and Light/ Nissan Incentive

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevenjmurphy

Hi there,
I live in Bradenton, FL and we have a 10k incentive to purchase a 2017 NISSAN Leaf. That coupled with the tax credit plus trade in make this a 5k cash outlay to buy a new car. We are looking at the base model with the quick charge package. We will then put in an after market apple play r ceiver that works with our iPhones. Any reason to get the next level up trim?

We will using this car as a second car to get around town. The dealer said that on the free way with air conditioning on you are looking at about a 60 mile range but in driving around town it's more like a 80. I think that should work for us. My wife has range anxiety so I will be mostly driving this one. I see that we have a lot of L2 stations but not as many quick charge D.C. Ones.

We will be putting solar panels on our roof next summer and I have read that Leaf can serve as a power source as well. Intersring times.

How often do you need to drive over 80 miles a day with this car? If the answer is not often, then it should work fine for you. If your answer is 3 or 4 times a week then I'd say a plug-in hybrid such as the Volt would be a better choice. My own experience has been that an EV works best when most recharging can happen at home overnight (or in your office parking garage).

Trim levels pretty much a personal decision - for in-town, the S level works best for me. Range is very much dependent on how you drive - lead-foot will kill range. Around town this should not be an issue - for me at least 100 miles/charge is easy.

Stevenjmurphy said:
Hi there,
I live in Bradenton, FL and we have a 10k incentive to purchase a 2017 NISSAN Leaf. That coupled with the tax credit plus trade in make this a 5k cash outlay to buy a new car. We are looking at the base model with the quick charge package. We will then put in an after market apple play r ceiver that works with our iPhones. Any reason to get the next level up trim?

We will using this car as a second car to get around town. The dealer said that on the free way with air conditioning on you are looking at about a 60 mile range but in driving around town it's more like a 80. I think that should work for us. My wife has range anxiety so I will be mostly driving this one. I see that we have a lot of L2 stations but not as many quick charge D.C. Ones.

We will be putting solar panels on our roof next summer and I have read that Leaf can serve as a power source as well. Intersring times.
This seems to pencil out for you, but not as easily as you think and perhaps not for long.
The problem is LEAF battery degradation in general, and specifically in Florida. You should presume 30% loss of range in a few short years (and then warranty replacement until year #8 of ownership.) If that reduced range works for you then by all means get the car.

Thanks for feedback. Had no idea it list 30> range in a few short years. That should be ok since it's just a car to drive around town.

I live in Oklahoma City and Oklahoma Gas and Electric (OG&E) also provided a $10,000 incentive. We jumped all over it and have had the car since June. Could not be happier!

Back