powersurge
Posts: 764
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:24 am
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Hello from ChargePoint!

Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:16 am

GetOffYourGas wrote:
DuncanCunningham wrote:Glad they are watching us. Lets be nice to them. they are not making a killing on us selling stations.


I agree. It's good they are here. And EV drivers know best where charging stations are needed. I think having us send requests for businesses is a clever way to intelligently deploy a network. I just hope that it's not their only method (and I doubt it is).


I disagree. I am not the one to tell chargepoint the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of where I want a charger. What would I get from giving a long list of businesses to chargepoint? Then they would cold call the business, just like all the solar companies, and home repair calls that I hang up on the telephone.

What I think is better, is...

If I, an EV owner, had information (in my hand) about how businesses would install chargepoint charging stations in the community, I would be more informed on how to recommend chargepoint. Personally, I want to know how chargepoint works, and will not recommend the company unless I know how they work. Also, I, as a customer, would be more convincing to a business if I ASK them to look into a charging station. In that way, the businesses would see that they would get more business ($$$) from electric car drivers.

GetOffYourGas
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Hello from ChargePoint!

Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:15 am

powersurge wrote:
GetOffYourGas wrote:
DuncanCunningham wrote:Glad they are watching us. Lets be nice to them. they are not making a killing on us selling stations.


I agree. It's good they are here. And EV drivers know best where charging stations are needed. I think having us send requests for businesses is a clever way to intelligently deploy a network. I just hope that it's not their only method (and I doubt it is).


I disagree. I am not the one to tell chargepoint the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of where I want a charger. What would I get from giving a long list of businesses to chargepoint? Then they would cold call the business, just like all the solar companies, and home repair calls that I hang up on the telephone.

What I think is better, is...

If I, an EV owner, had information (in my hand) about how businesses would install chargepoint charging stations in the community, I would be more informed on how to recommend chargepoint. Personally, I want to know how chargepoint works, and will not recommend the company unless I know how they work. Also, I, as a customer, would be more convincing to a business if I ASK them to look into a charging station. In that way, the businesses would see that they would get more business ($$$) from electric car drivers.


So let's assume that your method is more convincing to the business owner. What do you have against using both methods? Note that I did say that I hope this isn't their only method of deploying their network. You seem to be framing it as an either/or while I view it as a both/and.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

TeamChargePoint
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:57 pm
Location: Campbell, CA
Contact: Website Facebook Twitter

Introducing Tap to Charge!

Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:39 pm

We wanted to update this thread to let you all know that we've recently introduced tap to charge for iPhone, Android, and Apple Watch!

To use this new feature, all you need to do is hold your phone (with the ChargePoint app installed) against any ChargePoint station to start charging. See how it works in the video below.


https://youtu.be/10jozoPlSgk



You can read more about the new feature on this LA Times article: http://lat.ms/2hDJJn4
Or on the ChargePoint blog: http://bit.ly/2xH5rNo
ChargePoint is the world’s largest and most open electric vehicle (EV) charging network. Join the EV revolution!

Evoforce
Posts: 652
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:58 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2015
Location: Fountain Hills Arizona

Re: Hello from ChargePoint!

Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:56 am

Personally, I think many of us in AZ would like to see your Fast Charge Chademo stations. I will not use L2 charge stations when I am out and about unless I absolutely have to. With a 3.3 onboard charger the L2 stations are just too slow. I mean, I understand it for apartment dwellers or work destination but not for normal progress of trying to get from point A to B to C etc. We need many more Fast Chargers.

I like the idea of using the cellphone to activate charge!
Last edited by Evoforce on Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*2011 Leaf 1 bought 2/28/15 @ 28,000ish mi 10 bar (8 bars @ 11/25/15 @ 37,453 ) (New lizard @ 39,275 mi @ 1/20/2016) Now 52,166 mi.
*Tesla Model S 61,000 mi
*2011 Leaf 2 bought 4/28/15 @ 24,000ish mi 12 bar (new lizard Dec. 2014 @ 22,273 mi) Now 35,485 mi

TeamChargePoint
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:57 pm
Location: Campbell, CA
Contact: Website Facebook Twitter

Re: Hello from ChargePoint!

Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:01 pm

GetOffYourGas wrote:
DuncanCunningham wrote:Glad they are watching us. Lets be nice to them. they are not making a killing on us selling stations.


I agree. It's good they are here. And EV drivers know best where charging stations are needed. I think having us send requests for businesses is a clever way to intelligently deploy a network. I just hope that it's not their only method (and I doubt it is).


You're right, it's not the only way! You can read more about how, when and where we expand, on our website: http://bit.ly/chargepointNews
ChargePoint is the world’s largest and most open electric vehicle (EV) charging network. Join the EV revolution!

User avatar
abasile
Forum Supporter
Posts: 1920
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:49 am
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2011
Location: Arrowbear Lake, CA

Re: Hello from ChargePoint!

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:19 am

TeamChargePoint wrote:That's a great drive! Have you recently requested stations for any of the locations that you would find helpful along the route?
Here is our station request form http://bit.ly/stationrequest

If you'd like to share a few spots with our team using our form, we'll try to get in touch with the right people!

Thus far, it seems that ChargePoint's business model has primarily been to respond to specific requests for charging stations at businesses. There's nothing wrong with this, but if ChargePoint desires to play a key role in enabling long distance travel along major corridors, then a more top down approach should be followed. Such an approach would involve first identifying important, under-served corridors (such as LA to Vegas), then actively scouting out sites along those corridors that might be suitable for DCFC stations. Obviously, Tesla has already done extensive work of this nature, but solutions are needed for non-Tesla EVs.

As for I-15 from LA to Vegas, Tesla already has a great list of current and planned locations for Superchargers in basically all of the freeway-close towns frequented by ICE travelers:

1. Rancho Cucumonga, CA (active)
2. Hesperia, CA (planned)
3. Barstow, CA (active)
4. Yermo, CA (under construction)
5. Baker, CA (under construction)
6. Primm, NV (active)
7. Las Vegas, NV (two active sites)

Simply shadowing the Supercharger network would provide a lot of benefits. Another under-served corridor is US-395 from the LA area up to Mammoth Lakes, CA and Reno, NV. Again, look to the Supercharger locations as a rough template.
2011 LEAF at 71K miles, pre-owned 2012 Tesla S 85 at 98K miles
LEAF battery: 9/12 bars and < 49 Ah (-28% vs. new)
Tesla battery: 250+ miles of range (-5% vs. new)

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Posts: 5880
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Hello from ChargePoint!

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:46 am

They make money selling the data they collect on charging use, their goal is not to fill gaps in infrastructure but to get data to sell to companies and other entities where it makes sense or supports the business model.

TeamChargePoint
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:57 pm
Location: Campbell, CA
Contact: Website Facebook Twitter

Re: Hello from ChargePoint!

Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:31 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:They make money selling the data they collect on charging use, their goal is not to fill gaps in infrastructure but to get data to sell to companies and other entities where it makes sense or supports the business model.



Hi! We work with businesses to install new stations every day.
Our goal at ChargePoint is to make EV charging work for businesses who have parking spots, and for EV drivers who need charging. Take a look at this video about why Adobe invested in ChargePoint chargers (http://bit.ly/2kU3isi)! I thought you might also enjoy a blog post about Oyster Development Corporation and why they put in ChargePoint chargers, too! (http://bit.ly/2zfiQcF)
Last edited by TeamChargePoint on Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChargePoint is the world’s largest and most open electric vehicle (EV) charging network. Join the EV revolution!

Evoforce
Posts: 652
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:58 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2015
Location: Fountain Hills Arizona

Re: Hello from ChargePoint!

Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:18 pm

Hi! My post above was not addressed. When is ChargePoint going to install more Quick Charge/Fast Charge Stations in Arizona?
*2011 Leaf 1 bought 2/28/15 @ 28,000ish mi 10 bar (8 bars @ 11/25/15 @ 37,453 ) (New lizard @ 39,275 mi @ 1/20/2016) Now 52,166 mi.
*Tesla Model S 61,000 mi
*2011 Leaf 2 bought 4/28/15 @ 24,000ish mi 12 bar (new lizard Dec. 2014 @ 22,273 mi) Now 35,485 mi

SageBrush
Posts: 1481
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: Hello from ChargePoint!

Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:40 pm

Evoforce wrote:Hi! My post above was not addressed. When is ChargePoint going to install more Quick Charge/Fast Charge Stations in Arizona?

Easy answer.

When they can do so at a profit.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”