TeamChargePoint

Hello from ChargePoint!

Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:36 am

Hey everyone, Team ChargePoint here!

We’ve recently joined the community and we're thrilled to be here taking part in the discussions around EVs!

If you’re not yet familiar with ChargePoint, we’re the world's largest electric vehicle charging network. You’ve probably seen our charging spots around town, but you might not know we offer charging for homes, apartment complexes and condos, too.

We’re here to be a resource to everyone looking for advice, informed opinions, information about EV charging and all the new and exciting things happening in this space.

Looking forward to joining the conversation and can’t wait to meet you all!

- Team ChargePoint

webeleafowners
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015

Re: Hello from ChargePoint!

Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:49 am

Good morning. The local mall manager Ian's i will be having a meeting in mid September reference adding level 2 charging facilities in the parking area. I would be interested in any help you can provide in the the following areas.

1). Presentation
2). Cost benefit to the mall.
3). Equipment recommendation for a 4 station system expandable to 6 or 8.
4). Infrastructure required.
5). Estimated costs based on past projects.

This installation would be in a small town of 75000 people in British Columbia Canada.

Thank you.

John.
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KWh
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

ElectricEddy
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2016
Leaf Number: 313506

Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:16 pm

webeleafowners wrote:Good morning. The local mall manager Ian's i will be having a meeting in mid September reference adding level 2 charging facilities in the parking area. I would be interested in any help you can provide in the the following areas.

1). Presentation
2). Cost benefit to the mall.
3). Equipment recommendation for a 4 station system expandable to 6 or 8.
4). Infrastructure required.
5). Estimated costs based on past projects.

This installation would be in a small town of 75000 people in British Columbia Canada.

Thank you.

John.

Questions 3-5 The electrical would have to be quoted from as approved electrical contractor. (EVITP certified)
Questions 1&2 As far as equipment you can approach https://www.chargepoint.com/
and https://flo.ca/
Both of these companies have L2 equipment in our area of Van isle and work well
If dcfc is the choice than try these people http://greenlots.com/
If its Tesla supercharger, call Elon :D
Pearl White Sl
mfd date 09/16

speedski97
Delivery Date: 12 Dec 2013

Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:33 pm

How can EV owners help Chargepoint fill in the gaps for EV travel? The ones that come to mind are the areas of Ca between LA and the bay area. Their has been a need for years between LA and Bakersfield? This areas with it's link between LA and the bay area has to be a high need, yet the network has not filled into this area. The other area of need is north of the bay area to the Oregon boarder.
Thank you for the interest in this Forum I hope we can help each other in the formation of a working network of charging stations for EV use.

2k1Toaster
Delivery Date: 12 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 420903

Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:41 pm

Just curious if you guys can push free stations versus huge rip-off charge stations to those installing them. I have seen way too many businesses (not just using CP hardware) that think they can make a huge profit from charging and then bump the cost up. But then nobody uses it, and they say all EV's are failures.

I will not pay to charge outside my house unless it is a DCQC station and even then, I'd rather just take the Prius or RX450h. But I do go out of my way to visit stores, plazas, and malls that have installed free charging stations. The station I use the most is a CP station that is free at a local IMAX theatre complex. Because of the charger, I receive 60 cents to 80 cents on average of free commercial grade electricity. From that I spend $50 on a tub of popcorn and movies, or simialrly on restaurants, etc. If that charger costs me even 50 cents to use, I am not driving 10 miles out of way to purposefully use it and patronize that area.
2013 Nissan Leaf SV with every option
2013 Prius C Package 4
2012 Lexus RX450h
2006 Prius Gen II, pIV
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
2001 Honda Civic EX
1997 Honda Prelude SH
1981 DeLorean DMC12
and more...

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:15 am

2k1Toaster wrote:Just curious if you guys can push free stations versus huge rip-off charge stations to those installing them. I have seen way too many businesses (not just using CP hardware) that think they can make a huge profit from charging and then bump the cost up. But then nobody uses it, and they say all EV's are failures.

I will not pay to charge outside my house unless it is a DCQC station and even then, I'd rather just take the Prius or RX450h. But I do go out of my way to visit stores, plazas, and malls that have installed free charging stations. The station I use the most is a CP station that is free at a local IMAX theatre complex. Because of the charger, I receive 60 cents to 80 cents on average of free commercial grade electricity. From that I spend $50 on a tub of popcorn and movies, or simialrly on restaurants, etc. If that charger costs me even 50 cents to use, I am not driving 10 miles out of way to purposefully use it and patronize that area.

+1
I'll also go out of the way to visit stores that have free charging. Case in point, HyVee in my market. They are further away than other grocery options in my market but they all have free Chargepoint charging, basically the reason I got my Chargepoint card. Because of this I don't think twice about shopping the 2 HyVee's that are within 10 miles of me. I generally shop ~1hr which gives me ~5.5kwh's of charge on my S w/charger package, more than enough to make up for the charge used in traveling. I also like it when pay parking ramps have free L2 charging although many I've been to seem to be always in use, especially in ramps where people park all day and don't have the courtesy to unplug and move after their charge is done.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

aarond12
Delivery Date: 17 Oct 2015
Leaf Number: 311353

Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:10 am

Wondering if ChargePoint is still poo-pooing Tesla's charging network? That's the reason I canceled my ChargePoint account.
2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV ES (lease ended) • 2015 Nissan LEAF S • Tesla Model 3 reserved
Mods: Matte black Juke wheels, LED headlights and accessory lights, horn, CarPlay receiver

TeamChargePoint

Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:27 am

speedski97 wrote:How can EV owners help Chargepoint fill in the gaps for EV travel?

Very easily, and we would love to help get stations near you, or in places you find them lacking. Just fill out our station request form (http://bit.ly/stationrequest) and we'll try to get in touch with the right people to make it happen!
ChargePoint is the world’s largest and most open electric vehicle (EV) charging network. Join the EV revolution!

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:15 pm

TeamChargePoint wrote:
speedski97 wrote:How can EV owners help Chargepoint fill in the gaps for EV travel?

Very easily, and we would love to help get stations near you, or in places you find them lacking. Just fill out our station request form (http://bit.ly/stationrequest) and we'll try to get in touch with the right people to make it happen!

I have a hard time filling out the form because not only does it apparently ask for the business owner's name and phone number but also his email address. Some people around here still don't have an email address. Like ol' man Newberry before he died (perfect location for a charging station for me would be the Newberry store).
2013 SL 50,000 miles.
12 bars until 44,300 miles on June 2, 2017. :D
11 bars current. :)
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:15 am

Hello Charge Point,

I am very happy to see your presence in this forum. I have been using your network for almost 3 years now, and consider your public presence to be one of the most positive forces out there to help advertise and introduce the EV lifestyle to our country.

I appreciate that you would like to get more chargepoint stations, as I would love to see them all over and use the stations EVERYWHERE.... Your interest in getting new businesses and organizations to become network members is the KEY to the future of electric vehicles.

However, I think that your business model of asking the public to request stations is not the most efficient. We as consumers really cannot be referring business to you because the businesses themselves may not even know that these things exist, and not understand the benefits of charging stations.

I think that you ALREADY have a major group that is interested in helping you and will directly benefit by your success.... And that group is US, the current EV drivers who understand the benefits of your charging stations. In effect, WE can be the soldiers in our fight to popularize the electric cars and the mainstream charging station presence in our country.

I would STRONGLY request that your company share the details of how a business installs your charging stations. In addition, please give us a printable flyer that we, the consumers could share with all the businesses, offices, parks, schools, churches, gas stations, etc. If the consumers who work, shop, worship, or frequent would ask these places for the charging stations, I am sure that you will get a fantastic response if we had printed information for them to inquire about your services.

I have many ideas to share in the future, if you would like to continue contact, please private message me.

Again, thank you for your very needed and appreciated services.....

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”