simple question from a new owner of Leaf 2017

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sergio213

Hi everyone from New Jersey,
I just bought my new Leaf 2017 using 10K+7.5K program discount. When I got a car from a dealer I saw 131 miles for driving on the meter. Today I drove about 20 miles and I still have 120 miles to drive. How it is possible? Did a dealer overcharged batteries or this is an error of meter? How long I will have that reading?
Thanks

well, i'm only about a month ahead of you.... but

it will vary wildly / widely.
the informal name for that gauge is the GOM -- guess-o-meter :)

The range estimate is based on the last few minutes of driving, so if you drive gently at the end of a trip right before arriving home, the estimate will be higher than what you should expect to actually get on the next trip. Likewise if the car is driven hard, the range estimate will drop. It really isn't a good way to estimate range. Try the State Of Charge reading, which is a percentage charged display, like 63%.

Luckily for you, the EPA rated range of a 2017 Leaf (30 kWh pack) is just over 100 miles. So, you can use the SOC (state of charge meter) to estimate your remaining range.

In other words, each percentage of charge is roughly equal to 1 mile of range. Obviously, you can't go to 0% SOC so adjust downwards by 10 miles (i.e. don't go below 10% of SOC).

Examples: at 75% SOC expect to get about 65 miles of range. At 60%, about 50 miles. At 45%, about 35 miles...

Hope that helps.

sergio213 said:
Hi everyone from New Jersey,
I just bought my new Leaf 2017 using 10K+7.5K program discount. When I got a car from a dealer I saw 131 miles for driving on the meter. Today I drove about 20 miles and I still have 120 miles to drive. How it is possible? Did a dealer overcharged batteries or this is an error of meter? How long I will have that reading?
Thanks

Ignore the guess-o-meter. Its numbers fluctuate based on how you've been driving recently. So if you've driven 20 miles and the GOM still shows 120 miles remaining, it just means you've been going downhill or never exceeded 30mph during that trip. Whatever the reason, just ignore it.

Switch the odometer screen to show % charge remaining. That's a better gauge of miles remaining. Although things like terrain and weather will affect the actual miles you'll get, if you charge daily, you won't care anymore after about a week of driving as you'll get a feel for what 100+ miles of range really feels like. Your non-commuting weekend trips might take a little planning though, but after a while, you should get a pretty good feel for how far you can go just by the number of bars of charge you have left.

You'll have to adjust this expectation over the years though as the battery degrades, but it'll be gradual. Enjoy your leaf!

Back