About to pull a triger on '13 Leaf SL, need advise

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zheka007

Hello everyone,
I am a current Prius owner who is about to purchase a Nissan Leaf tomorrow morning. Looking for any helpful advise. The vehicle that I am looking at is a 2013 Nissan Leaf with technology package. Vehicle has 28K on the odometer, battery health level has 11/12 bars. CarFax shows two owners and one accident (front end collision) which was fixed at the dealer with OEM parts. While negotiating, I got the price down to $9,400 or with taxes+fees - $10,300 out the door. I have not test driven the vehicle since I live 2 hours away, and planning to do that tomorrow morning. I have bought a LE OBDII adapter and purchased the LeafSpyPro app. Could someone please tell me which numbers should I be looking at exactly while inspecting the vehicle with LeafSpyPro? And what is that critical point in the battery health percentage after I should not even consider purchasing this car? Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. - I don't want to consider SV trim because I need the fast charge port and leather interior.

Thank you for your input!

8d236788feab25606cc2de24141.jpg

b5f35f92312a92d09d166cb1387.jpg

3b5d3a6079aa918080b4131b5bb.jpg

f44a7c782563fbdf5ccdee35346.jpg

2c91f4f4ab4761b50f087fa146f.jpg

3c2b1de86019dafc2a83499cee7.jpg

edae31e78e219e74a5cb8abfef7.jpg

b5f947247f640edff0380cef040.jpg

4d378409df44849cc6ae25a5c94.jpg

473db74c4310e018da1fcbc2746.jpg

d10bc5261e3e3eda1a8ff29cf82.jpg

A Leaf SV with the charging package will give you CHADEMO DCQC - you don't need an SL for that.

Do you have the VIN #? If so, try using this URL to see your original sales sticker:

http://cpo.nissanusa.com/nna/?vin_number

Obviously, you need to append the actual VIN # to the end of the URL (just after the ?).

Also, where did the Leaf originate from? The Carfax report should show you that. I personally would not buy a Leaf that resided in a hot climate.

Depending on where you live, there are still 12 bar, 2013 Leafs available. Your chances of finding one, if you reside in the PNW, are much better...

alozzy said:
A Leaf SV with the charging package will give you CHADEMO DCQC - you don't need an SL for that.

Do you have the VIN #? If so, try using this URL to see your original sales sticker:

http://cpo.nissanusa.com/nna/?vin_number

Obviously, you need to append the actual VIN # to the end of the URL (just after the ?).

Also, where did the Leaf originate from? The Carfax report should show you that. I personally would not buy a Leaf that resided in a hot climate.

Depending on where you live, there are still 12 bar, 2013 Leafs available. Your chances of finding one, if you reside in the PNW, are much better...

When I enter my Vin at the end of the URL, i just get a blank (gray) pdf file. The car has been in Pennsylvania (which is where I live) all of its life.

Here is what one of the VIN decoders gives me

Maker NISSAN
Name LEAF
Production Date 03.2013
Body color KH3 - SUPER BLACK
Market USA
Body REDUCTION GEAR
Engine EM57
Features SL
Options PORTABLE TRICKLE CHARGER CABLE; PREMIUM PACKAGE
Body HATCHBACK
Type FSDALG9ZE0BUA-A--A
Interior color G - GRAY

If it's a premium package, then the price is decent. As long as the battery checks out using LeafSpy, then it's a good candidate.

You want to see SOH > 80%. The AHr and Hx numbers are also important. Hx should fairly closely follow the SOH value, AHr should be at least 50.

Did you see this 2013 SV with charge package?

https://goo.gl/mj4Unr

http://cpo.nissanusa.com/nna/?1N4AZ0CP1DC424073

For any car you consider, just make sure it's not been deemed as salvage.

If the production date is correct, 3/2013, I would avoid the car. The battery pack has the same battery chemistry as the 2011/2012 models. You want one that is manufactured 4/2013, or later. The car has also been in a collision. That, alone, would be enough reason for me to avoid it.

I paid $8300 for a car with the QC and rear camera, no collision history, and a battery in much better condition.

Yeah, for a car with crash history and, most importantly, the pre-April 2013 battery, that's not a great price, even if you "need" leather. If it was an April car, I'd probably say "pull that trigger, keeping in mind the Four Rules." ;) If you need the CHAdeMO for range, you probably also need a good battery for range. I'd keep hunting, unless you are only looking for a short-term car.

To see why, look at the recent posts in this thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=505286#p505286

My July 2013 build had the Ahr reading wobble up and down from 56.3 to 55.6 and back over the first couple of weeks I had it in June, and did the same again in the last couple of weeks, and my SOH started at 86% and is now at 85%, with a couple of brief dips to 84% at various times. (That Ahr and SOH calculation is subject to a bit of variability from day to day, for some reason.) In contrast, hmmwv's March 2013 car has had a what looks like a large and real decline in its battery over the past summer, which was considered a bit hot by Seattle standards but would be considered quite moderate and comfortable in almost any other part of the US. Your peak and average summer temperatures are almost certainly hotter.

Thank you all! I did not make it out there today for personal reasons and now I'm glad I didn't go after all. Will keep looking at other options

Back