Has anyone installed blind spot sensors on a 1st generation Leaf ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtdedula

Hello ALl;
I just bought a 2015 Leaf with S-trim last week and have been driving it for about 4 days now. I have become concerned about some blind spots around the car which make it difficult to see everything around the car when backing out (Even with the backup camera) or to the left or right.

Has anyone successfully installed any aids/sensors/mirrors/etc ... on a Leaf before 2017 that really helps see the areas where their blind spots around the car are ? If you did, can you point me to what you installed, and how it works and how you like it ?

Would the Nissan dealer be willing to install anything like that ?

Tim

wtdedula said:
Hello ALl;
I just bought a 2015 Leaf with S-trim last week and have been driving it for about 4 days now. I have become concerned about some blind spots around the car which make it difficult to see everything around the car when backing out (Even with the backup camera) or to the left or right.

Has anyone successfully installed any aids/sensors/mirrors/etc ... on a Leaf before 2017 that really helps see the areas where their blind spots around the car are ? If you did, can you point me to what you installed, and how it works and how you like it ?

Would the Nissan dealer be willing to install anything like that ?

Tim

I realize this was a month ago, but I installed a Backup Camera on my 2012 SV using a $30 Rear View attachment kit on Amazon (http://a.co/i1Moj7j). I love it. It was easy to install myself as well and I just used the version that screws into the license plate.

While blind spot monitors are nice, I am still amazed that more people do not know how to properly set up their mirrors to remove all blind spots from their car. I have been driving with this setup for years and once you get used to it it is amazing how easy it is to monitor all of your surroundings. The link below shows how to properly set up your mirrors to do this.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

Chadrph said:
While blind spot monitors are nice, I am still amazed that more people do not know how to properly set up their mirrors to remove all blind spots from their car. I have been driving with this setup for years and once you get used to it it is amazing how easy it is to monitor all of your surroundings. The link below shows how to properly set up your mirrors to do this.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

This an excellent tip, thank you so much! So no need to turn your head to check the blind spot?

This an excellent tip, thank you so much! So no need to turn your head to check the blind spot?

When done properly, you may have to lean your head slightly to the left to see the whole field, but no turning around is needed.

I am disappointed that in this tech age, we feel we have to mod the hell out of everything we buy. Now we are expecting cars to drive and park themselves...

Other than good, learned driving habits, you really do not need any "sensors".

The only "sensor" you can find useful is one I have been using since the 1970s--- A 1-2" fisheye mirror that you glue to the side view mirror which lets you see more of the left lane next to you. It takes 10 seconds to install...

Other than that, your best sensors are your eyes and your brains.

I have added all of those suggested above to my 2013 Leaf S. My opinion, in order of decreasing safety improvement (ie, most bang for buck at the top). I installed these myself. Nissan dealer probably would not install non-Nissan brand equipment. Any car audio shop will install these.

1. Properly adjusting regular mirrors (as mentioned above) Free
2. Fish eye mirrors $5
3. Backup camera $35
4. Ultrasonic obstruction warning (beeps during reverse when obstruction is 0-2 meters away) $16. Works well. https://www.amazon.com/EKYLIN-Vehic...s=gateway&sprefix=blind+spot+,aps,366&sr=8-18
5. Ultrasonic blind spot warning (beeps when car approaching in next lane) $75 https://www.amazon.com/ENC-BSD4B-De...s=gateway&sprefix=blind+spot+,aps,366&sr=8-19 I don't recommend the ultrasonic systems for improving lane change safety.

The only one of these I would not buy again, if I got another Leaf, would be #5. Blind spot warning. It is close to useless as the amount of time between when the unit beeps and the car next to you will be hit if you change lanes is only 1 second or so, generally not enough time to change your intended lane change action. Note that most of the after-market blind spot warning systems are ultrasonic, NOT radar, even if they use the word radar in the description. All OEM blind spot warning systems are radar. At the time I installed this (late 2013), no company sold an after-market true radar system. They are now available starting at around $300 on amazon. I might have considered one of those, but in reality, the combination of properly adjusted rear view mirrors and fish eye mirrors works very well.

I also have the Mobileye collision warning system https://www.mobileye.com/en-us/, doesn't address OPs question, but I find it very helpful for driving when I am a little tired. Does a very good job. Pricey though, $1100. Must be installed by authorized dealer. Beeps when getting too close to car in front or if I drift in my lane (also has other functions, but I don't find those too helpful). I would buy it again.

powersurge said:

Other than good, learned driving habits, you really do not need any "sensors".

The only "sensor" you can find useful is one I have been using since the 1970s--- A 1-2" fisheye mirror that you glue to the side view mirror which lets you see more of the left lane next to you. It takes 10 seconds to install...

Other than that, your best sensors are your eyes and your brains.

I suspect you are less than 60 years old. I used to feel the same way. I am now 71 and
1. my vision is not as good
2. my reflexes are slower
3. my muscles are stiffer, making it harder to turn my neck fully and easily in both directions to look back.

Also, the Leaf IS much harder to drive in reverse safely than most other cars.

I almost bought that US warning system when I was looking at new cars. The plan was to get a loaded 2018 SV and install those, but the reviews were too mixed at the time. I wouldn't even think of trying to use those in traffic - the idea was to use them for parking. The idea is certainly sound...

I too have physical issues that make to harder for me to drive and park, although I'm 60.

Back