wtdedula
Delivery Date: 10 Sep 2017

Advice on taking a road trip in Ohio

Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:56 am

Hello All;
I am going to put my 2015 Leaf through its paces by taking a little road trip to my brothers this weekend (Cleveland to Columbus).

I am wondering for all of you who take the Leaf for an extended road trip on the highway, what sort of strategies/tips can you offer to assure you don't run out of power before getting to a Level 2 or 3 charger ?

How many highway miles can I realistically expect to get when driving on the highway without heater/A/C on ? I have all bars and only 20,000 miles on the car if that helps.

How many miles do you have remaining before you begin to look for a charging station ?

There doesn't seem to be any quickchargers between my route from Cleveland to Columbus but there are some level 2 chargers along the way, not a lot but a few.

Tim

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: Advice on taking a road trip in Ohio

Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:35 am

* Drive for maximum economy (no more than 60MPH indicated, gentle acceleration) at the beginning and middle of the trip, only speeding up if desired when you are sure you'll have enough range near the end.

* Use the accurate range indicator (if you have an SV or SL and thus the Nav console) that is summoned by pressing the blue button on the steering wheel and then using the lower range estimate displayed.

* Inflate the tires to 42-44psi cold.

* Leave the windows up and use the ventilation fan, on whatever speed is comfortable. It draws very little power by itself.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

wtdedula

Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:03 am

LeftieBiker;
I have a "S" trim, not a SL or SV. Is the displayed miles remaining accurate ?

Tim

BillHolz
Delivery Date: 07 May 2016
Leaf Number: 322345

Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:14 am

Your trip requires planning. If you have not already done so, take your car out on the highway after a full charge and run it down in your local area to get an idea of your highway range to your Low Battery Warning (LBW) which happens around 15 to 20 miles left on the Guess o Meter (GOM). I got about 80 miles when I did that. Go to plugshare.com, register if you have not already, go to the trip planner and for your Cleveland to Columbus route increase the search radius to something like 20 miles. Plug in your start and end address, find one or more places to charge along the route that leave some margin from your max range (for me about 70 miles max for a 1st leg). From the 1st charge, drop about 20 miles from your 1st leg max because at about 80% to 90% charged the charge rate slows down a lot. Find your 2nd and subsequent charge legs using the lower max limit until you get to your destination.

With the radius set to 20 there is a Nissan in Mansfield or a place in Wooster that make this trip possible. A conservative example I would consider:
1st stop: Whole Foods 365 in Akron
2nd: G & S Titanium, Wooster (Solar powered charge). 38 miles.
3rd: Nissan, Mansfield. 44 miles.
4th if needed: Tangier outlet, Columbus. 44 miles.

For your first go, charge to 80% at each stop. You should gain about 20 to 25 miles per hour of charge, assuming you have the 6.6KW charger, at a L2 EVSE. After you have a better idea of your range on this route, you could drop one of the middle stops if you are comfortable with it.
2015 SV no QC

pyromancy5
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2017

Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:35 am

What part of Columbus will you be driving to?

On PlugShare it looks like there are QC in Medina. 71 miles @60mph is not very realistic, and the route is a few miles longer if you take rt 42. Then stop at an L2 in Ashville or Mansfield then hit the Tanger outlets off 71 as your last stop. It will be a long wait if you have to charge to 100% too.

Another good bet is to take secondary roads. QC in Medina, then head south on route 3 and have the option to stop at L2s in Wooster, Loudonville, and then take 36 to Centerburg.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:47 am

wtdedula wrote:LeftieBiker;
I have a "S" trim, not a SL or SV. Is the displayed miles remaining accurate ?

Tim

Not usually, although it tends to get more accurate as the end of the trip nears. Figure roughly 70% of the displayed range is real.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:55 am

I have driven long distances and have the following pieces of experience....

1) Pre-plan your trip and make multiple large maps of each section of the trip. (I will explain below). You MUST plan your drive TO YOUR SELECTED CHARGER, not look for a charger when you are near empty.

2) The mile to empty gauge is worthless. Put tape over it. You should estimate your miles left by charging to 100% and estimate that each % of battery is the number of miles left before ZERO.

3) you should never go to ZERO, ever. (20-30% is a good low end). I would estimate that you stop to charge every 40-50 miles (get a charge when your battery is between 40-50%). Doing this is better for your battery, and if there are any problems that the charger does not work, you still have enough battery to get to an alternate charger.

4) Unless you use a QC (really fast) charger, you do not need to let the battery go all the way down. Letting the battery go down only increases the amount of time you need to wait at that charger. If there is nothing to do there, then you spend a lot of down time waiting. I would rather wait 1-1 /2 hours in 2 places than 3-4 hours in one place. (unless you find a place that has dinner and a movie! nearby).

5) Use the Chargepoint website/app on your computer or phone to find good places along your trip, and WRITE THEIR LOCATION ON THE LARGE MAPS YOU MADE IN STEP 1. (address and name of the place). You need to sign up to Chargepoint to get an electric card that will let you use the chargers. It is usually free to charge, but you will need to give a credit card number in case that some chargers have a fee.

6) I have found that more reliable chargers than chargepoint is to search for all the dealers ( Nissan, VW, Ford, and Chevy dealers) you can find, and put them on your map (address and tel Number). Call up the dealers (service department) before you travel. Ask, "where is your outdoor parking lot electric car charging station?". If they ask why, only say " I want to know where it is if I need it". (Some dealers only want the chargers for THEIR customers.). ALWAYS ASK IF THEY HAVE A CHADEMO (fast) charger or level 2 (j1772 plug). The best time to travel to the dealers is during business hours... Then you can blend in with the people waiting for their cars to be fixed, watch their TV, and have free coffee, bagels, and WIFI for y our Ipad movies...

7) only do this trip if you can really get into traveling to enjoy the stops and adventures of new, unknown places where you charge. If you see it as a chore to wait for the car to charge, you will not be happy.

I hope you enjoy your trip.... I love doing this, just as much as I love going camping or taking a bicycle trip.... Going really far with very little... AND THE FUEL FOR THE TRIP IS ALL FREE!!

jim0266
Delivery Date: 17 Mar 2017
Leaf Number: 330446

Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:58 am

Akron has good, free L2 charging stations available. I've thought about what it would take to get to Columbus from Akron. Looks like the Nissan Dealer in Mansfield will be key half way there. I would call them first.

wtdedula

Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:38 pm

Hello All;
WOW Thanks for all of the extremely helpful advice. I will take all of your advice into consideration on Saturday. It will be really interesting. I would like to see a few quickchargers in between Cleveland and Columbus - maybe someday. They only have a Tesla supercharger in-between and it is my understanding that that won't do any Leaf owner any good. I also didn't realize some of the chargers are free. I kinda suspected the chargers at Whole Foods were free but figured you'd have to shop there to use one.

Tim

jim0266
Delivery Date: 17 Mar 2017
Leaf Number: 330446

Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:20 pm

wtdedula wrote:Hello All;
WOW Thanks for all of the extremely helpful advice. I will take all of your advice into consideration on Saturday. It will be really interesting. I would like to see a few quickchargers in between Cleveland and Columbus - maybe someday. They only have a Tesla supercharger in-between and it is my understanding that that won't do any Leaf owner any good. I also didn't realize some of the chargers are free. I kinda suspected the chargers at Whole Foods were free but figured you'd have to shop there to use one.

Tim

There at 4 free J1772 ChargePoint units at the Whole Foods 365 at 1745 W. Market St., in Akron. Just need a ChargePoint acct with the RFID card. About a half mile from that are 4 free J1772 ChargePoint units at First Energy.

All else fails swing by my house in the same area and use my ClipperCreek unit. :)

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”