2013 Leaf Spy numbers, want to ensure I get a new battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeasonsAfter

I purchased a used Nissan Leaf a couple years ago. The battery has degraded 3 bars and the battery warranty replacement option is good until Feb 21st, 2018. I just purchased Leaf Spy Pro and would appreciate any assistance so I can be sure that last bar degrades by February of next year. With the Leaf Spy numbers, I haven't yet figured if my Leaf is a good candidate for a new battery replacement.

Please let me know if you can assist with this information. I live in the San Diego area.

Last full charge, I connected the Leaf Spy and the numbers are listed below:
ODO 32k, AHr = 46.26 SOH = 70% 395.16V
Hx = 64.04%, ODO 33k, QCs & 1076 L1/L2s
min/avg/max = 4.111 4.117 4.123
Temp F = 73.0 71.1 71.1 (2.0*)

SOC 91.9%
14.6 kwh 42.50 ah
188 GIDs (66.9%)

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer. I'd love to get this to Nissan with the fourth bar degraded by Feb 2018.

warrenc said:
With those numbers, I don't know how you could avoid losing the 4th bar by then or any day now.
Perhaps I remember wrong, I thought most 4rth bar losses happen around 42 - 43 Ahr

SageBrush said:
warrenc said:
With those numbers, I don't know how you could avoid losing the 4th bar by then or any day now.
Perhaps I remember wrong, I thought most 4rth bar losses happen around 42 - 43 Ahr
I suppose I should have checked the numbers before posting, but with a SOH at 70%, I figured it couldn't be long :shock:

warrenc said:
SageBrush said:
warrenc said:
I suppose I should have checked the numbers before posting, but with a SOH at 70%, I figured it couldn't be long :shock:
Using the SOH, another 5% or so. That sounds like a lot to me during the winter.

OP asked for strategies to trash his battery but I wonder how he would feel about the risk of coming close but not meeting the threshold.

Three leafs that I have dealt with didn't lose 4th bar until 63% SOH and 41ish Ahr. You probably not going to make it with the weather about to get cooler. You had better hope that you tap out on the higher side of the average number qualifiers.

This is the last reading from my SV, built in January 2013. It still hasn't dropped that fourth bar. My five years are also up in February 2018.

Sep 15, 2017 - AHr=38.17, SOH=58%, Hx=51.70%, odo=25,517 miles, QC=4 L1/L2=2176

Thanks for the responses! I live in San Diego so the weather won't disrupt much in the winter months. I am hoping for that one bar drop for the warranty replacement to kick in.

Thanks again!

baustin said:
This is the last reading from my SV, built in January 2013. It still hasn't dropped that fourth bar. My five years are also up in February 2018.

So what is up with that?
I guess my estimates were way off. I could understand losing the 4th bar at 65% or AHr of 42, but that seems a little extreme.

baustin said:

It doesn't make any sense with those numbers that you haven't lost the 4th bar.

warrenc said:
baustin said:

So what is up with that?
I guess my estimates were way off. I could understand losing the 4th bar at 65% or AHr of 42, but that seems a little extreme.

I don't really know. I expected the fourth bar to drop months ago. Every other report I've seen shows a drop at higher AHr levels. There may be a time/mileage factor built into the drop. Due to the decreased range, I have not driven it as much this summer as I did the last two.

Evoforce said:
baustin said:

It doesn't make any sense with those numbers that you haven't lost the 4th bar.

I know, especially considering the long, hot summer we had.

Numbers below in my signature line. Looks like my 9th bar will drop soon but not sure I can make that happen in 19 days left.

Good luck to all the 2013 nissan leaf owners on a battery replacement. Such a bummer that Nissan decided to end their goodwill program.

:evil:

My 5 year battery warranty is up today. No 4th bar drop....too bad Nissan didn't extend their "goodwill" program to the 2013 models or later. I guess I will just need to live with the limited range. Good luck to all the other Leaf owners out there who decided to purchase instead of lease. Dwindling battery range will be a challenge but I can make it work.

Watch my fourth bar drop this month...

Nissan consumer affairs called me regarding the email I sent. Basically no help... The only suggestion the lady has was to go to a Nissan dealership and see what their financing department can offer for a new battery.

Spending $5k on a new battery for 30% more capacity seems a bit silly.

I will just hang onto the Leaf as it is. Limited range but charging at work and home will be fine for now.

Good luck to all you other Leafers out there. Doubtful any other owners will get assistance from Nissan going forward on their "goodwill program". Treating the 2011 and 2012 owners with respect and offering to pay for a new battery with 10%-20% out of pocket for early adopters was great for those who took the offer. 2013 owners don't receive anything other than a suggestion to get a new battery financed...

Thanks again Nissan for the dedication to your customers.

I am in line for a Sondors. I hope the Sondors enters into production and isn't in limbo like the Elio...

https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/05/sondors-three-wheeled-ev-test-drive/

My AHr reading, 2013 SL 20K Miles, was 41.25 after several readings of 40.97 with 4th bar drop.
Comments about 42-43 ranges at 4th drop may longer work for large number of 2013 users coming up on 60 months limits.

Wow, the numbers you provided in your signature line have changed dramatically. Did you receive a new battery? I am assuming you are under warranty period? Nice job, I didn't try and kill my battery at the end as the numbers didn't look good enough for the fourth bar to drop.

Good luck on getting the battery!

Nissan starts exchange program in Japan. At 300,000 yen ($2,853), this might be a good deal for the older Nissan Leaf owners.

https://www.automotiveworld.com/news-releases/nissan-starts-exchange-program-nissan-leaf-batteries-japan/

It looks like the Nissan 30 kwh battery packs are degrading faster than the 24 kwh packs. Nissan will need to work out the kinks in their engineering....

https://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-30-kw ... -kwh-pack/

Check out the comments at the end this article. Good information from other Leaf owners. I am glad my old 24 kwh pack isn't degrading as much as the newer packs...

https://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-30-kw ... -kwh-pack/

Back