Charge timer & keeping heat running

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivh

Ok, two more newbie questions about my 2013 S.

1. Is there anything wrong with keeping it turned on and heating on, while plugged in and parking, for the whole workday? (I sometimes have to bring my dog to work and Swedish winter is coming. I have the possibility to plug in and slow-charge at work.)

2. I tried the charge timer, which is end-time only in my case. It worked the fist evening, showing the alternating three lights and was done in the morning. But last night it insisted on charging right away. The only thing I changed was the end-time itself, moving it from 7:30 to 8:10, which is the same as the climate timer. Are these two interfering or what is happening here?

I don't think it will be possible to have the car plugged in and have the car ON with the heat on. When you plug the J1772 into the car it turns the car off. (At least on my 2012.) If I am charging on a chademo charger, I can turn the car on and run the AC/Heat, but not with a Level 1/2 charger.

I don't think the Climate control charger is affecting your charging timer. Try looking at all the settings, such as the days of the week programmed.

Darryl said:
I don't think it will be possible to have the car plugged in and have the car ON with the heat on. When you plug the J1772 into the car it turns the car off. (At least on my 2012.) If I am charging on a chademo charger, I can turn the car on and run the AC/Heat, but not with a Level 1/2 charger.

I just tried and it sure is possible to turn it back on (pressing Power-button twice without foot on brake pedal) after charging started, includingthe heat. It seems to stay on even if I walk away with the key. I am wondering about long-term side-effects though, if I leave it like this for 8 hours at a time.

Darryl said:
I don't think the Climate control charger is affecting your charging timer. Try looking at all the settings, such as the days of the week programmed.

There is no weekday setting in the S trim and I cannot find anything else that could have caused this.

Yes that is how I "preheat" mine. I walk out hit the bypass timer, it starts to charge, then I turn the car on, but since it is plugged in, not in ready mode, then the heat will work. I have never left it for more than 30 minutes, so I don't know if eventually it would shut off?

I have also left the car "on" with the climate control on when I run in to pick the kids for 30 minutes or so, basically like leaving an ice idling, but it was nice when the kids came out after swimming at -10F or -20C outside and they don't freeze on the way home. I used about 80% one day running 20 miles in a snowstorm doing this :)

My brother in law takes his dogs everywhere and has had his vehicles altered to start and stop via HVAC, heating or cooling, not sure how that works but it was expensive, he said the company that does it usually does K-9 law enforcement and military vehicles.

Basically you looking for something like "camping mode" to maintain the cabin, with or without being plugged in, obviously being plugged in would be nice so you wouldn't use up all your range.

Back