eyemgh
Delivery Date: 26 Oct 2017

How to buy if you're in the boonies...

Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:26 pm

Thanks to the "What Should I Pay?," "Does SoH Rule All?" and LOTS of rapid reading, I'm now up to reasonably competent Leaf speed. My problem is, I live in the BOONDOCKS, Ashland, Oregon. It's a beautiful community and a great place to live. It just makes it really challenging to assess cars for sale that aren't close by. I'm comfortable with vetting sellers, histories, condition, etc. I just can't get Leaf Spy data. From what I'm learning, that's a Don't Pass Go collection of information I MUST have in order to evaluate a car. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to evaluate from afar? Thanks! :D

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: How to buy if you're in the boonies...

Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:28 pm

My #1 rule for this situation is to assume one less bar than shown on the dash. Thus a car showing 12 bars should be considered an "11 plus a little" car. The one exception would be a late build (4/2013+) 2013 or later Leaf that was in a cool climate and shows 11 bars. That is likely a more or less full 11 bars. Likely, not guaranteed.

Further rules:

* Buy from only reputable dealers with Leaf experience. Bargains can be had from other sources, but when buying long distance you can't afford the risk.

* If the car looks beaten up, avoid it.

* There are now thousands and thousands of flood-damaged cars for sale. If you can't get a "no water damage" clause in the sales contract, don't buy it.

* Make sure the car comes with the OEM charge cable (if you have need of it) and TWO keys. Keys cost about $300 to replace, and have to be programmed. If either is missing, make sure the discount is at least $400 for the key and $700-$1k for the EVSE.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

BuckMkII

Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:37 pm

Could you make a weekend project of it? There are quite a number of Leafs for sale at any time in the Seattle area, which you can check out on the Carfax reports. Cars that were originally sold and serviced here should have little heat-damage in their batteries. There are moderately priced motels in the Marysville/Arlington area that would put you within fairly easy striking distance of the the dealers in Everett, Edmonds, Seattle and Bellevue, which are target-rich environments (although some, e.g. 405 Motors, seem a little dubious to me, but I didn't ever actually visit there...maybe they just have a few bad Yelp reviews).

If you have a traveling partner and an ICE, I'd try leaving *early* on Saturday, hitting several dealers, then heading back to your top choice on Sunday to negotiate when they open. If it goes poorly after an hour, walk out and go to the second-best car. I may be crazy, but if anyone thinks the tow-eye can take it, I'd be tempted to stretch the range between QCs on the return trip with some towing behind the ICE at the minimum legal speed on I-5, which is what, 45 MPH? Late on a Sunday night that seems like it would be pretty easy.

If you have to travel solo on the bus and rent a car locally for searching, that would make the return a bit of a challenge, not to mention getting up here in time to do much on Saturday (assuming a standard weekend), so I guess that would mean taking an extra day off and staying two nights, not to mention doing an honest QC trip home.
2013 SV no QC, manufactured July 2013
car grew up in San Jose CA, purchased 5/31/17 in Seattle
on 6/16/17: AHr = 56.4; SOH = 86%; Hx = 84.3; ODO = 39,250
on 9/29/17: AHr = 55.3; SOH = 84%; Hx = 81.6; ODO = 41,492
bar 12 lost 8/21/17

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:55 pm

Driving the car home may not be an issue, as it should be possible to pay a moving service a few hundred, with that coming from savings achieved by going to a leaf-rich environment.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

eyemgh

Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:03 pm

I'm not as concerned about getting it home as I am about assessing them from afar. Making a trip to Portland or Seattle presumes I'll find one at the price I'm willing to pay. It would be easier to guarantee that if I could get a handle on ones I want to drive before I went up there. Without Leaf Spy data though, that's not really possible.

As far as getting it home, is driving from Portland realistic? It's 225ish miles with a robust QC network along I-5. I don't have a good handle on what the distance per QC will be.

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:41 pm

TonyWilliams did BC2BC in 2012: viewtopic.php?t=8879 with a pretty poor CHAdeMO network in California at the time (not much in the Bay Area, HUGE gaps between So Cal and Nor Cal, almost nothing north of the SF Bay Area before the OR border, etc.) He was flying thru OR and WA once he arrived in OR due to http://www.westcoastgreenhighway.com/el ... ighway.htm. And, he only had the 3.x kW OBC on the '12 since that's all that existed so his L2 charging couldn't be that fast either. Tony lives in the San Diego area. Some folks helped drive his car back the other direction (south).

Please consult range charts at viewtopic.php?p=101293 like these
"Use this 93% chart for a one year old or more battery that still has all 12 capacity bar segments.

Use this 82% chart for a battery that has 11 of 12 capacity bar segments."

Those are without HVAC usage on level ground. He asserts the optimum speed for range is 12 mph. The faster you go beyond 12 mph, the less range you'll get. https://www.edmunds.com/nissan/leaf/201 ... r-end.html achieved 132.0 miles exactly at 35 mph on new battery. Some folks here on MNL have beat that.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Levenkay
Delivery Date: 16 May 2013
Leaf Number: 19196

Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:04 pm

I wouldn't think you need to go all the way to Seattle to shop; there seem to be scads of them in the Portland area. And, if I'm not mistaken, you avoid paying WA sales tax on a used car purchased in OR. Get one with a QC port and there's no problem driving it to (edit: goofed and said 'Albany' at first) Ashland; there are DCFC stations every 40 miles or so along the way
Last edited by Levenkay on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:22 pm

I've heard of Platt Auto as a seller of Leafs in OR. For whatever reason, they're hosted at http://162.243.132.34/ right now. (Google for Platt Auto). They have a list of Leafs for sale. You'd need to look into whether their Leafs are really originally PNW Leafs.

I've also heard of http://www.paramountmotorsnw.com/invent ... nly=Nissan in Seattle.

You'll definitely need one w/a CHAdeMO inlet to make the drive in a reasonable amount of time. Without it, and assuming you can stop at a 30 amp L2 EVSE, count on waiting 3-4.5 hours to charge from near empty to almost full. I saw almost full because IMHO, it's worth moving on once charge rate has dropped a lot (e.g. below 3 kW) when near full. See viewtopic.php?p=490435#p490435. If you wait till the end including those 2-3 bounces, that ramp down period until end of bounces is about an hour w/little energy making it into the battery that whole time.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:54 pm

@eyemgh I see you've got two threads going...

Now that I know you live in Ashland, purchasing in Portland would definitely be challenging. Eugene is likely going to be your best bet...
Last edited by alozzy on Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

eyemgh

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:58 pm

I wasn't sure if the proper etiquette on this forum. Since all the topics have been related to me, but pretty different, I figured having a desperate thread for a new subject would help future searchers. I hope that's not bad juju. Eugene would be ideal for sure, but I could make Portland work. Thanks!

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”