Phatcat73
Leaf Number: 401511

Re: Check my logic on buying ...

Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:39 pm

Your wife will run into situations where the charging infrastructure will be out of order. As much as we would love for it to work for you, for a 100 mile commute a Prius or other hybrid may be the best option at the moment. Maybe in a few years you can get a cheap Bolt.
2016 SV; purchased 20-Jan-17, <5k, 98% SOH; 01-Apr-17
2013 SV; purchased 6-March-13 44k, 81% SOH; 3-Apr-17
2015 S; purchased 29-July-14, moved to AZ Nov-2014, 19k, 83% SOH; 30-Mar-17
(LD storage) 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid 4x2), 101k

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:07 pm

A used Prius PHEV would get 70+ MPG on that kind of commute.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Evoforce
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2015

Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:44 am

A Chevy BOLT would work great if you could swing the payment or 2018 Leaf. However, in the end if you can't swing that, I hate to see you go to a plugin hybrid but... maybe you have no choice. A Tesla Model 3 would be way too long of a wait probably for you.
*2011 Leaf 1 bought 2/28/15 @ 28,000ish mi 10 bar (8 bars @ 11/25/15 @ 37,453 ) (New lizard @ 39,275 mi @ 1/20/2016) Now 52,166 mi.
*Tesla Model S 61,000 mi
*2011 Leaf 2 bought 4/28/15 @ 24,000ish mi 12 bar (new lizard Dec. 2014 @ 22,273 mi) Now 35,485 mi

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:13 am

Mr. Neomaxcom,

Your posts sound like you and your wife are adventurous and self-sufficient people. However you seem hell-bend on getting a Leaf, and expecting your wife to make a daily commute which involves multiple charging stops and a hours of extra commute time (while you wait for the car to charge).

1) Although you may be used to getting a "beater car", you cannot expect that a "beater Leaf" will work on long distance driving. Heck, I cant imagine driving 100 miles a day commute even with my comfy Cadillac. You typically buy a car that will make your travel easier and quicker. However, your plan (even overlooking other's suggestion of getting a Volt) is not realistic... And may I say... Foolhardy.

2) Your plan for charging is erroneous. You cannot start your trip at 100%, drive 15 miles, and then quick charge back up to 100% You will kill the battery.

3) You talk about different options on the car, when the basic issue is that you need a car for long distance driving. Different models, options, and getting "free" batteries means nothing if the car is not made for the use intended. It is like wanting to bicycle 20 miles per day as a commute... You MAY be able to do it, but you cannot expect to make the sacrifice daily. You are trying to stuff 20 lbs. of tomatoes into a 10 pound bag...

neomaxcom
Delivery Date: 02 Nov 2017

Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:16 pm

powersurge wrote:Mr. Neomaxcom,

Your posts sound like you and your wife are adventurous and self-sufficient people. However you seem hell-bend on getting a Leaf, and expecting your wife to make a daily commute which involves multiple charging stops and a hours of extra commute time (while you wait for the car to charge).

1) Although you may be used to getting a "beater car", you cannot expect that a "beater Leaf" will work on long distance driving. Heck, I cant imagine driving 100 miles a day commute even with my comfy Cadillac. You typically buy a car that will make your travel easier and quicker. However, your plan (even overlooking other's suggestion of getting a Volt) is not realistic... And may I say... Foolhardy.

2) Your plan for charging is erroneous. You cannot start your trip at 100%, drive 15 miles, and then quick charge back up to 100% You will kill the battery.

3) You talk about different options on the car, when the basic issue is that you need a car for long distance driving. Different models, options, and getting "free" batteries means nothing if the car is not made for the use intended. It is like wanting to bicycle 20 miles per day as a commute... You MAY be able to do it, but you cannot expect to make the sacrifice daily. You are trying to stuff 20 lbs. of tomatoes into a 10 pound bag...

Actually, the discussion here is quite valuable and its purpose, as stated in the topic headline ...was to test my logic. Hence, I appreciate the devil's advocacy as the whole point was intended to evoke any protests of foolhardiness or confirmation bias on my part.

What I gather is that the Leaf would more than accomplish the current 19-mi one-way commute primarily on back roads where the top speed limit ranges between 35 and 50mph maximum. Even an older leaf with a diminished capacity battery would likely do commute with range to spare.

BUT ... and this was always the case ... a 50 mile one-way commute (100 mile round trip) - which frankly is a commute I would not even consider for myself EVER - would be beyond the limits of the a 2011-2017 leaf even with a new battery (point 2 above.) That commute would require at least a higher range EV like the new 2018 150 mile Leaf or the 238-mile Bolt - but as neither are available as a highly depreciated used car; a plug-in or conventional hybrid seems the only option.

The good news on that is that a typical chevy volt's range would just about cover the 38 mile current commute with all electric travel making this almost as good a solution for the short term as well filling the bill infinitely better if she changes jobs.

Thank you to all those who contributed their thoughts to this. For the record, I wouldn't have even asked if I were devoid of doubts.

- neomaxcom

Reddy
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 006828

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:20 pm

neomaxcom wrote:... What I gather is that the Leaf would more than accomplish the current 19-mi one-way commute primarily on back roads where the top speed limit ranges between 35 and 50mph maximum. Even an older leaf with a diminished capacity battery would likely do commute with range to spare.

BUT ... and this was always the case ... a 50 mile one-way commute (100 mile round trip) - which frankly is a commute I would not even consider for myself EVER - would be beyond the limits of the a 2011-2017 leaf even with a new battery (point 2 above.) That commute would require at least a higher range EV like the new 2018 150 mile Leaf or the 238-mile Bolt - but as neither are available as a highly depreciated used car; a plug-in or conventional hybrid seems the only option....
I think that's a fair summary. For comparison, I have a 9-bar 2011 Leaf that is perfectly acceptable for 40-50 mi under mixed 35-65 mph speeds. My limits are tested when temps are below 10 F (not a problem in Atlanta). If you are only considering the 40 mi RT commute, I'd definitely go with the 2013 SL, drive the $hit out of it and hope for a new battery under warranty by April. Oh, that "style" of driving would be FULL acceleration at every stop light, full regen at every stop, lots of stop & go, 75 mph on the freeway, charging to 100% every chance you get, DCQC twice a day (or more if possible), lots of weekend trips to the DCQC, etc. Heck, I still recommend that you get the 2013 SL because you cannot accurately predict what the future will be. Your commute may stay at 40 mi RT or may not. The 100 mi RT commute might include a 240 V Level 2 charging at work. Also, there's talk of eliminating the $7500 tax credit on new EVs, which will make new EVs more expensive and may generate a higher demand on used EVs (hence possibly higher prices.... or not). Who knows what will happen? If the new job and commute is a given, then all bets are off, and you need to plan on something other than a used Leaf.
Reddy
2011 SL; 9 bar, 46.44 AHr; 40,067 mi; rcv'd Aug 18, 2011
Long: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... al#p226115"
Cold: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p243033"

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”