texasdiver
Delivery Date: 11 Nov 2017

Used leaf for High School commuter car?

Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:19 pm

My middle daughter is 1 year out from getting her license. She is a quirky independent type who is interested in an electric car for her first car. I drive a Prius as my daily commuter car and we are thinking of looking for a used leaf for the HS kids car. This would be our first foray into electric cars.

We are 4.8 miles from the HS so her ordinary daily drive would be around 10 miles. If she drops her younger sister off at middle school that would add about 2 miles. Most afternoons she also has music lessons or does workouts at a local gym that would add another 10 miles round trip to her day. So her average weekday mileage would be about 20-25 miles give or take.

My daily commute is 23 miles 1-way and my average daily driving distance including afternoon errands and such is about 60-65 miles of mostly freeway. I'd like to get a car with at least the necessary range so that I could comfortably use it for my daily driver should we decide to swap cars or such.

We would also probably need to park the car outside in front and to the side of our garage. I would anticipate installing some sort of outdoor charging station post along side our drive way for nightly charging. It doesn't seem complicated. The meter and breaker box is on the side of the garage next to where the car would be parked.

We are in Vancouver WA (Portland metro area) so cool rainy climate much of the year without many extremes of hot or cold.

So, basically I'm looking for advice on what model years of leaf I should be targeting as I begin my research and search. Since it would be our 3rd car and a HS kids beater car I'm not looking to spend more than necessary as long as it is a safe and reliable car. Don't particularly have a budget in mind but would be happy to pay less than $10 grand.

Advice?

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: Used leaf for High School commuter car?

Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:41 pm

Look for a Leaf built AFTER March of 2013. The build month is on the driver's door sill sticker. You can get better deals on earlier Leafs, and they would work great for your daughter, but if you want that 50 mile range for your own use, you need a later build battery pack - or a new pack in an older Leaf. By the same token, the less expensive S model would work fine for her, but you'd want the SV with heatpump for the extra range in cool damp weather.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

texasdiver
Delivery Date: 11 Nov 2017

Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:54 pm

So would that mean limiting searches to model years 2014 and newer? I don’t see how to search for the build date on sites like CARFAX.

EDIT. Never mind. I see where the build date actually does show up on the CARFAX detailed reports at least for dealer listed cars that are on CARFAX. There are actually 85 leafs 2013 and newer listed on CARFAX within 200 miles of my location which I am kind of surprised by. Wasn’t expecting so many choices.

LeftieBiker

Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:03 pm

Carfax shows the build date, I've been told. If you can't get the build date for a 2013, you have two options: if the owner is private and seems legit, then 11 or 12 capacity bars showing likely means a later build. (Or you can just look for a '14 or '15.) Fewer than 11 bars in anything but a Hot climate and the car is likely an early build that will keep losing bars quickly. You should also assume that any '13 showing 12 bars is close to losing one, and has the range of an 11 bar Leaf.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

hackdroot
Delivery Date: 15 Apr 2017

Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:09 pm

I have a daily one way commute of 25 miles. I have a 12 bar 2013 leaf (late year model), with probably about 10-12 % capacity loss so far.. My drive is a mix of city/backroad (30-60mph average). I get home with about 28-38% left on my pack depending on traffic/road/weather conditions. I would imagine if I was driving closer to an average speed of 60-65MPH, I would probably end up with far less. If your errands are closer to home, you would be fine as you could estimate what you can and cant do. But, I would not take chances running a bunch of errands at my work location. I do go out and get lunch on occasion (probably about 4 miles max roundtrip away from work).

There's no real 'detour' route for me on the way home once I get on the main road, so if it closed, I would have to drive back to the town I work in and charge up, or pull over and wait it out. I normally check road conditions before I leave anyways. You need to know if you can afford to take a detour route with your range should that come into play.

That being said, I've yet to encounter a problem with my commute and my car fits 95% of my travel needs currently. When I get home, I put the car on the charger if I anticipate using it after work. After an hours worth of charge on my L2 27A charging station, it's ready for any errands I have to run.

Love my leaf and look forward to my next longer range EV in a few years.
2013 Leaf SL (12/2013) + Premium package 31,000 miles - 58.8AHr - 89%SOH

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:38 pm

This one looks good:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/

CarFax reports shows it's a Washington State car, which is an ideal climate for the battery.

Platt Auto group seem to have a lot of Leafs, they are just south of Portland. Not an endorsement, I just know they sell a lot of used Leafs.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

LeftieBiker

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:38 pm

alozzy wrote:This one looks good:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/

CarFax reports shows it's a Washington State car, which is an ideal climate for the battery.

Platt Auto group seem to have a lot of Leafs, they are just south of Portland. Not an endorsement, I just know they sell a lot of used Leafs.

It also appears to have Premium Package, and has either the Charge package as well, or at least the fog lights.

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:18 pm

Agreed, I'm pretty sure that for 2013 models the option package that includes DCQC also includes the LED headlights and fog lights.

@texasdiver, in case it helps you, here are some other listings within 100 miles of Vancouver, WA:

https://goo.gl/4bXGhT

Good luck!
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

LeftieBiker

Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:55 pm

Agreed, I'm pretty sure that for 2013 models the option package that includes DCQC also includes the LED headlights and fog lights.

The reason I qualified my guess is that I think you could also get just the fog lights for $150. The OP should ask how many charge ports there are, just in case.

joeriv

Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:26 am

Not for the 2013 S - I had the DCQC package and no LED or fog lights.
2017 Leaf S with QC, JUN mfg date

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”