Number of bars depicted in this pic?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SyrinxTemple

On the hunt for my first Leaf. Can someone decipher from this pic how many bars this Leaf has left from the proximity to the gas pump icon and the number 1? This is through CarMax and I'll need to ask them to move it to my town. I don't want them to bother if it's missing too many bars.

Although, since it's a 2013, perhaps if it's missing enough bars I can get Nissan to replace the battery if need be?

uc

That appears to be 10 bars, but don't hold me to it. ...Actually, looking longer, I think maybe 9. You need two pieces of info, both available from Carfax, I think. The build month and year, to determine if this is the fast-degrading "Canary" pack used Jan through March of 2013, or the slower to degrade improved pack used after March of 2013. You also need the "In service" date, which is when the car was sold. That determines if the car is still under capacity warranty or not. Unless that is nine bars, it's an early build pack, and the car still has several months left on the warranty, forget about the warranty.

You need two pieces of info, both available from Carfax, I think. The build month and year, to determine if this is the fast-degrading "Canary" pack used Jan through March of 2013, or the slower to degrade improved pack used after March of 2013. You also need the "In service" date, which is when the car was sold.

So CarMax includes a vehicle history report on each vehicle, and for this car it shows "VEHICLE MANUFACTURED AND SHIPPED TO DEALER - 02/07/13”, which would certainly put it in the Canary ball park. Suppose I should pass in that case. Dang!

By comparison with this image, I make the OP's picture out to show nine bars, not ten. In the image where all 12 bars are shown, the top of the tenth bar is right on the same radius line as the bottom of the "1" character, whereas the OP's picture shows quite a gap between the highest capacity segment and the "1".

So CarMax includes a vehicle history report on each vehicle, and for this car it shows "VEHICLE MANUFACTURED AND SHIPPED TO DEALER - 02/07/13”, which would certainly put it in the Canary ball park. Suppose I should pass in that case. Dang!

The date it was shipped from the plant doesn't matter. It's when the car was actually sold and put into service that counts. That can be determined by Nissan, given the VIN. I'm still leaning towards nine bars, so if there is time left on the warranty AND you can get the pack hot, you might have a chance. If not, you're stuck with a fast degrading pack...

Makes sense. I will contact Nissan and see if I can get that in service date. Although, with winter coming, I doubt I'll be able to heat it up to the point of losing a bar before warranty expires. Either way, thanks for the help!

My Leaf was Manufactured 1/13 and went into service 2/27/13. It spent two years in Georgia, and then 3 summers in Las Vegas. It dropped the 4th bar on October 12th and the battery was replaced on the 20th (4 months left on the Capacity Warranty). The odds of getting a bar to drop during the winter, are very low, unless the car has been and will continue to be in a hot climate.

jjeff said:
I'd guess it's 10 bars.
This is definitely 9 bars, same as mine. The bottom of the little gasoline/plug icon is exactly 6 bars. This car is charged to 11 bars (not 12), so it overhangs two, making it look like 10 bars. Edit: Looking more closely (zooming on screen), it appears that the picture was taken during startup. The 11th bar is slightly grey and only about 1/2-2/3rds width. Notice also that the lower 6 bars are also slightly grey.

Is that the black one that I saw in Stockton? I looked up the radio station in the picture and took a guess, searching on Cars.com.

Back