Newbie questions...visor clip and Juicebox’d

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RawhideKid

Not sure how to post a photo here. What is the little plastic clip on the drivers side visor? Not the pull out extender, but the little clip that is only on the drivers side? Is it for paperwork? Or sunglasses? Or something else?

Also, i got my JuiceBox level 2 charger, got it connected to homewifi, loaded app. All looks good, except when I plug it into my Leaf, nothing happens. If I connect the trickle charger that came with the Leaf, all is well. Charges, has 2 of 3 blue lights on, and my leafspy indicates battery charging. I’m at 86 miles on the guess o meter. Still learning the leafspy. I’m at 18.8 kWh remaining per leafspy.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps the Leaf is limited to 80% capacity charging for level II, but trickle charger is ok to keep charging?

No idea to see if the 80% max is a setting somewhere that I can check or adjust....

Any ideas? I’ve searched on this forum and elsewhere. will call JuiceBox support tomorrow when less tired. Trickle charge will give me plenty for my 30 mile on way commute to work in am, and home as well I think.

Thanks all,

Rhk

The little clip is for whatever you need it for. I use it to hold my ChargePoint card.

Check the manual. You probably need to enable charging, or configure the timer on the EVSE. Since you have a WiFi link, you should be able to check all the settings. It is possible that it is defective, or that it is not wired correctly.

You don't say what year or model you have, but there should be a manual in the glove box that covers everything. 2013 models do have an 80% option in the CarWings settings in the NAV on the SV/SL. It doesn't matter which EVSE is used, the car charges to 80% or 100%, depending on the settings. If 2014, or newer, it always charges to 100%.

Hmmm. Thanks all. I edited my signature. It’s a used 2017 S model. Per LeafSpy it’s been lvl 2 charged before, by the dealer that used it as a demo. Not sure what the issue is then. I’ll try again tonight.

And thanks for note on the visor clip.

The problem could be with your JuiceBox and not the car. Have you used the JuiceBox to charge any other car before? Alternately, try using some different L2 EVSE on the car to see if it works. Plugshare will be useful to helping you find one if you don't know of any.

Thanks!

I have not tried charging the car on another lvl 2 charger. I don’t have access to another ev to try charging it from this charger.

Potential issues:
1) while unit is charged, perhaps it’s not grounded at the outlet? JuiceBox does show power but perhaps it’s not grounded?
2) flawed JuiceBox.
3) issue with car receiving lvl 2 charge - it’s received them in the past though...should be fine.

Sigh....

Given that it's a 2017, it's much more likely to be a charging station issue than an onboard charger issue. And given that the L-1 charging cable works, that points a big finger at either the Juicebox or its wiring.

All L2 EVSEs require a ground. OpenEVSE at least will not function with no ground. I do not know about the JuiceBox since I am an OpenEVSE person.

Well, i stopped at a nissan dealer and plugged in my leaf to their charger - no problem at all. Started charging immediately. No idea how to test if the ground is wired correctly on my plug. I’m still thinking it’s the JuiceBox. Ordered off amazon so easy (I think) to return. i’ll Give it one more try tonight. Sigh....wish I knew someone else I could have them plug their car into my charger, or another way I could plug this charger in to another outlet to test it....hmmm....

The AC charge inlet of the LEAF is allegedly conformant to a published standard; there's even a number assigned to it and everything. With many tens of thousands of vehicles sold that claim to support that standard, it's about time that there were diagnostic equipment for that interface: something that you could interpose between an EVSE and the car, press a button labeled "Test" on (or control from a paired smartphone), and be told if either the car or the EVSE wasn't behaving properly. It's outrageous that dealer service departments (the big ones that boast of being the "best in the [large geographical area]", anyway) don't have such equipment.

Your JuiceBox is plugged into an outlet and not hard-wired? You should have 2 'hot' wires, a neutral and a ground. The neutral and ground will probably be connected together at the breaker box but I'm not an electrician so I'm not 100% sure about how and where those wires are connected. It may also vary depending on your local code and where the outlet is mounted, etc.

Was this plug used for something else in the past? Was it installed just for the JuiceBox? If so, did you install it or was it installed by an electrician?

It's possible the unit is bad but it's also quite possible your outlet is not wired correctly. One quick check would be to turn off the breaker for the outlet and then open it up to see if there are 3 or 4 wires connected to the back of it. However. if you have never done any wiring, don't have a DVM (volt-meter) or don't understand electricity I would not recommend starting with a problem like this.

goldbrick said:
Your JuiceBox is plugged into an outlet and not hard-wired? You should have 2 'hot' wires, a neutral and a ground. The neutral and ground will probably be connected together at the breaker box but I'm not an electrician so I'm not 100% sure about how and where those wires are connected. It may also vary depending on your local code and where the outlet is mounted, etc.

Was this plug used for something else in the past? Was it installed just for the JuiceBox? If so, did you install it or was it installed by an electrician?

It's possible the unit is bad but it's also quite possible your outlet is not wired correctly. One quick check would be to turn off the breaker for the outlet and then open it up to see if there are 3 or 4 wires connected to the back of it. However. if you have never done any wiring, don't have a DVM (volt-meter) or don't understand electricity I would not recommend starting with a problem like this.

Professional electrician put it in when we bought the house ~5 years ago - i had visions of doing some welding again but it didn’t happen, so I’ve never used the outlet until now. I will open it up and look at it. (I’m no expert but know basics)

But please know that the JuiceBox does show power, even has solid blue light indicating connection to wifi. JuiceBox remote help even “looked at” the box and said it looks fine. Told me to “jiggle” the handle a bit to see if that helped but it did not.

Given all this, I requested a return via amazon, and then ordered another identical unit. Should arrive Saturday. I’ll update this post then. Thanks all!

Woohoo! It was a defective unit. New one arrived today via amazon. Set it up, plugged it in, and it’s charging without any issues. Woohoo!!!!!!! Thought i was going crazy...

Back