AZ DMV and trouble light came on today

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RawhideKid

Interesting morning. Went to AZ DMV office to get title and to register the leaf. First, the person said that the blue plates are not being released anymore - that they hit their capacity. I said, that’s the hybrid program. The full-electric program is still releasing the plates. (Big reason I bought this car is so i can commute via the HOV lane using the blue plate) She also said I’d have to go to emissions people to get their ok to get the blue plate. I said that was Strange given it’s full electric...

After 10 min of chatting with supervisor, she came back and said it was ok. They’d even “waive” the requirement to go to emissions to get the ok. SIGH.....

Then, because i forgot the license plate screws, I opened up the rear hatch and taped the plate to the interior of the back window, so I could drive in HOV to work.

Got 2 blocks away and the red “master warning” light came on. I pulled over, went back, and gently opened and closed the rear hatch, not wanting to dislodge the license plate from the back window. Checked the doors - seemed fine. Checked tires, all ok. Checked oil level...wait, didn’t do that. :)

Got back in - light still on. Nissan dealer ~ 3 miles away. Drove there. Got in to see a service manager fairly quick, he went out to car. Called a tech - tech said to be sure seat belt is connected. It was. Service manager went to the back and fairly strongly slammed the rear hatch closed. Light went off; all is well. Guess i didn’t slam it hard enough, and now I know that the master light will go on if you don’t have all doors closed very well.

Sigh....good start to day. Got to work about 15 min faster though, at least, which is nice.

Yes, there is a lot of misunderstanding about the blue alternative fuels plates in AZ. At least you were able to get it resolved. Obviously, there is no need to go to the emissions testing facilities so you can actually register the car for 5 years at a time if you wish. I hope the VLT they charged you was very low because the rate for true alternative fuel vehicles is much lower (big savings on $30k new car). As you found out, the hatch needs to be closed firmly. Enjoy your new ride.

Gerry

LeftieBiker said:
There should also have been a graphic showing a door or hatch open, IIRC. The hatch on mine is also hard to close, even after an adjustment.

I don’t recall seeing one. I’ll have to look closer.

Heh! I'd like to think you snuck that in with an edit, but no, my mind is going. Sorry. The S may not have all the display icons the other two models have.

The graphic display in the dash clearly shows doors open, but the hatch open display is not as obvious. As you can see in the attached photos, the driver door open display is obvious while the hatch open display could look like just a display of the car if you are not familiar with it.image.jpegimage.jpeg

Back