EVDRIVER

Re: My 2011 Leaf just burned itself to a crisp and Nissan won't help me.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:21 am

Looks like a post from Guatemala.

mollycruz2
Delivery Date: 19 Dec 2017
Leaf Number: 004925

Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:42 pm

2011, bought used in perfect condition in 2015. It was not plugged in, locked and sheltered, nobody home, car incinerated, fire chief said battery caused it , no other plausible explanation, not wet, not near a fire, letter from Nissan said it was out of warranty. Gave me an address to sue them. Didn't seem to want to know what happened to the battery. Car was a pure pleasure to drive and had no problems except short range due to longevity of the battery. The original 60 miles was now more or less 45; but I am far away and had to digest all this by email and phone from witnesses. Glad I wasn't inside it; think they should at least replace it. Not going to buy another, that's for sure. wouldn't suggest anyone else buy one either. They're clearly being irresponsible with this problem. I'm 75, I don't "prank", by the way; to set my car on fire from thousands of miles away, that would be a good one! If you don't have something helpful to say, at least refrain from insulting me. This has been hard enough.

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:59 pm

Documentation needed.
Where.
When.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:04 pm

mollycruz2 wrote:no other plausible explanation

I just had a rat chew on one of the high voltage cables in my Leaf.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

estomax
Delivery Date: 21 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 424033

Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:23 pm

Sorry to hear that Molly, i hope you understand that we have to be skeptical because this is the internet and anyone can post anything, so it would be very interesting to us if you posted some pictures at least. There have been hundreds of thousands of Leaf's sold and if yours is the second one to catch fire then compared to normal (ICE) cars the reliability is far greater on the Leaf side. Just the statistics chose you this time around.

Keep us posted on any developments and post some pictures for our own curiosity. Now that it is getting cold out i wouldnt be surprised if maybe a rodent caused a short. Nissan is likely not liable for this, so i wish you luck with any legal action you take. Don't waste too much money though. Was the car insured? i imagine insurance would take care of you if you have comprehensive coverage.

Marko
2013 Leaf SL Premium
27k, 93% SoH, 2/17
32k, 96% SoH 6/17
44k, 93% SoH 12/17

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:25 pm

mollycruz2 wrote:2011, bought used in perfect condition in 2015. It was not plugged in, locked and sheltered, nobody home, car incinerated, fire chief said battery caused it , no other plausible explanation, not wet, not near a fire, letter from Nissan said it was out of warranty. Gave me an address to sue them. Didn't seem to want to know what happened to the battery. Car was a pure pleasure to drive and had no problems except short range due to longevity of the battery. The original 60 miles was now more or less 45; but I am far away and had to digest all this by email and phone from witnesses. Glad I wasn't inside it; think they should at least replace it. Not going to buy another, that's for sure. wouldn't suggest anyone else buy one either. They're clearly being irresponsible with this problem. I'm 75, I don't "prank", by the way; to set my car on fire from thousands of miles away, that would be a good one! If you don't have something helpful to say, at least refrain from insulting me. This has been hard enough.

Sorry if this really has happened to you. But it is hard to believe do to the fact that many EV haters love posting falsified horror stories about EV's. A link to a news article would be appreciated. Or at least some pictures.

For the record about 5 years ago I put out an engine fire on a Toyota Land Cruiser with a fire extinguisher. So you might want to steer clear of those too.
2013 SL 50,000 miles.
12 bars until 44,300 miles on June 2, 2017. :D
11 bars current. :)
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

joeriv

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:07 pm

"Product disparagement -- also called commercial disparagement, product defamation, trade libel or slander of goods -- is a false statement about a product that hurts its maker. Victims of product disparagement can sue the perpetrators under both state product disparagement laws and the federal Lanham Act, the law that protects trademarks."

Just being helpful.
2017 Leaf S with QC, JUN mfg date

DuncanCunningham
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Apr 2015

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:21 pm

If fire is a concern then you should definitely never buy a car that has gasoline in it. The cases of ICE cars ending their journey, early, in a ball of fire are so numerous that it's not even news. I've seen plenty of new and old cars at the side of the freeway on fire and never see it in the news afterward.

I'll be buying an electric car again when I need a another one. i'm totally done with ICE cars.

But I would like to know why it did this and I'm surprised Nissan aren't interested too.
Last edited by DuncanCunningham on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Statler: Wake up you old fool. You slept through the show.
Waldorf: Who's a fool? You watched it.

2015 Leaf S (leased until May 2018, Bought out in Jan 2017)
2012 Leaf SL (purchased May 2015)

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:21 pm

mollycruz2 wrote:2011, bought used in perfect condition in 2015. It was not plugged in, locked and sheltered, nobody home, car incinerated, fire chief said battery caused it , no other plausible explanation, not wet, not near a fire, letter from Nissan said it was out of warranty. Gave me an address to sue them. Didn't seem to want to know what happened to the battery. Car was a pure pleasure to drive and had no problems except short range due to longevity of the battery. The original 60 miles was now more or less 45; but I am far away and had to digest all this by email and phone from witnesses. Glad I wasn't inside it; think they should at least replace it. Not going to buy another, that's for sure. wouldn't suggest anyone else buy one either. They're clearly being irresponsible with this problem. I'm 75, I don't "prank", by the way; to set my car on fire from thousands of miles away, that would be a good one! If you don't have something helpful to say, at least refrain from insulting me. This has been hard enough.

NHTSA would be the ones to contact if your interest is public safety. As for lawsuit, proving manufacturing defect or negligence may be time-consuming and burdensome considering the market value probably south of $6K. If you have other damages, maybe a different story.

Statistically, LEAF has not seemed predisposed to fires. There are possibilities that do not involve manufacturing flaws, such as rodent activity.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Reddy
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 006828

Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:40 pm

mwalsh wrote:
Reddy wrote:3rd one was actually something interesting. IIRC, it was posted on MNL. The owner smelled electrical fire in the cabin, felt heat near the shifter, pulled over, safely exited the vehicle and called for assistance. A fire eventually formed and damaged the car. Maybe totaled.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 76&start=0
Yup, that was the one. I don't remember any others and I've been reading about the Leaf since 2010.
Reddy
2011 SL; 9 bar, 45.80 AHr; 43,000 mi; rcv'd Aug 18, 2011
Long: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... al#p226115"
Cold: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p243033"

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”