charging indicator lights 1 & 2 blink, does does not charge 2017 S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FWbroke

Dear All

I use the Nissan provided EVSE in a L1 outlet in my garage.

This outlet has been fine until just recently.

When I use the bottom socket of this outlet now, it does not charge the car, but instead LED charging lights 1 and 2 blink slowly and continuously w a low volume but audible noise.

On the EVSE the ready light is green but blinks as well.

The top socket in that same outlet works fine, so I have switched to using that (EVSE is fine, it is an outlet issue) but am wondering what might be wrong with the outlet.

This is not a new outlet put in specifically to charge the car, it is just an ordinary outlet that would have been put in 20 years ago.

I am not sure what other outlets are on that same circuit, but nothing else IN the garage is in use and no outlets inside the house in that same general area are in use.

I looked online generally and here within MNL, but could not find a description of any similar error.

Thanks,

FWB

You need to replace that outlet with a BRAND NEW one. You are risking a possible fire from heat resulting from worn contacts. There may also be damaged wires. Have an electrician do it, and check the whole circuit at the same time.

Easy to say that you need a NEW outlet. We are a "replace" society.... What you are describing is not NECESSARILY that the outlet may be bad, but that the connections are not 100% complete or correct (common in garages).

What I think is happening also happened to me when I got my Leaf. The Leaf charger initially does a self-check of the circuit. It will not work and give an orange error light when it finds that there is no good "ground" circuit. The car will show no blue flashing charging lights......

You can easily diagnose your plug by getting a diagnostic "plug" at Home Depot. It has 3-4 lights that tells you when the circuit is good or has specific issues. Great investment for any home owner for about $5.... Bet you it will have an "open ground"...

There is a lot to said in favor (safety wise) for having a socket with good connections, well anchored to the wall.
If OP has to spend a few dollars to get there, so be it.

Just do yourself a favor and cut the electricity at the mains breaker box before you start playing.

Even a hospital grade outlet is less than $5. Poor quality contractor grade are less than $1. Whatever you do use the side screws. Plugguin the wires into the holes is not reliable. Now a days most electricians use pigtails if the circuit continues through and they do not use the screws as junction points.

FWbroke said:
Dear All

I use the Nissan provided EVSE in a L1 outlet in my garage.

This outlet has been fine until just recently.

When I use the bottom socket of this outlet now, it does not charge the car, but instead LED charging lights 1 and 2 blink slowly and continuously w a low volume but audible noise.

On the EVSE the ready light is green but blinks as well.

The top socket in that same outlet works fine, so I have switched to using that (EVSE is fine, it is an outlet issue) but am wondering what might be wrong with the outlet.

This is not a new outlet put in specifically to charge the car, it is just an ordinary outlet that would have been put in 20 years ago.

I am not sure what other outlets are on that same circuit, but nothing else IN the garage is in use and no outlets inside the house in that same general area are in use.

I looked online generally and here within MNL, but could not find a description of any similar error.

Thanks,

FWB

If the "Ready" light on the EVSE is blinking, and the "charge" and "fault" lights are out, that indicates lack of ground. Since the other socket is working I would guess that the contacts for the ground plug in the lower socket have become worn or damaged. I tend to agree that for EV L1 charging use, a brand new, high-quality outlet is a really good idea. This is a high-current, long-duration application.

Also I'm not sure which version of EVSE you have; the one with my 2012 was heavy and didn't have a 90-degree plug so it was important to find a way to support the box so there wasn't a lot of weight pulling on the plug.

I have had no issues with the few times I've charged at L1 at home. I usually do L2 at work since it is convenient and free BUT.... I do think I'll change out the plug in the garage for a new 'spec grade' outlet. The price is about 4x the cheap ones but the quality and strength are a night and day difference. Plus, even the highest grade outlets are about $5 the last time I checked so it is cheap insurance. Thanks for the nudge :idea:

Thanks for the responses.

I'll get a tester and I can take the outlet out and look at it, I am also capable of changing it out and seeing what else might be on that circuit (at some point).

I should have mentioned that I only use this outlet as a backup, maybe 5 times since August, when it is -20 out, etc

The rest of the time I am using a nearby L2.

I make sure to only use it when someone can check on it periodically until I look at it myself or have someone do it.

Thanks,

FWb

Back